Losing weight
I was just wondering has anyone managed to lose weight while living in Turkey?
I was going to weight watchers back in the UK and had lost a stone, now I'm on an extended stay in Turkey and was hoping to lose another stone.
I have seen a lite version of mayonnaise but wondered if low fat yogurt available ( Muller lite was a blessing!) also is the Turkish natural yogurt high in fat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Harem

I've cliqued
Losing weight
Re: Loosing weight

I have managed to lose weight, but usually it is only when my husband (the coo - sorry, chef) is away as I then eat more fresh fruit and salads without any dressing. I do eat quite a lot of yoghurt, but don't think the one I eat is low fat.

teresa

Free Thinker
Losing weight
Low fat yogurts are around but they come and go - like most things here and I can go a month or more between getting them. There are very few products which are low in fat as we know them, they are generally "light" which means @ 45% fat LOL. Natural yogurt and skimmed milk are here, along with cereals and a few cereal bars. My sugar free jellies are posted out to me.

Fruit, veg and meat in abundance though to work your magic in the kitchen. I was a WW frozen meal pinger in the UK and I have had to start learning to cook again.

Losing weight
I am not sure about weight watchers and there kind of meals in Turkey. But I did slimming world a few years ago and I think its fab and easier than WW. (personal pref) but I could follow slimming world so easy.

red days = meat, fish, (protein) eat as much as you like
green days = pasta, rice,pulses, potatoes (carbohydrates)

So red days would be some steamed fish and loads of salad without the dressings (salad free food so eat anyday)
or grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and egg (mushrooms ,toms and eggs free foods eat any day )

Green days would be something like 100g of chicken or fish (healthy extra) with batchelors pasta and sauce or there rice made with mostly water (free on green day)

or a baked potatoe with baked beans (free on green day) dressed with side salad

but slimming world you could sign up to on the web if you really needed ideas for foods they are so easy to follow
as long as you know all basics whats red, whats green , and whats free foods (anyday)

crystalclear

Losing weight
I have been to slimming world classes in the past ( didn't mind the food program but hated the class!) and have just been looking at their website, I have never had any succes on my own as I give in too easily! tomorrow, tomorrow....next monday lol.

dngood

Losing weight
Re: Loosing weight

I do eat quite a lot of yoghurt, but don't think the one I eat is low fat.

Most of the yoghurt over here (in the big tubs), are about 4-6% fat. Fat (yağ) levels are shown on the side of tubs in a nutritional information table just like in the UK. If you stick with 'full fat' (tam yağ) then the Içim brand yoghurt is a good compromise at about 3.5% fat.

There are a couple of 'half fat' (yarım yağ) yoghurts, e.g. Yörsan (orange and white tub), and Pınar Extra Light (Pink tub) that you could try, I believe these are (of course) about 2-3% fat.

Dave.

Last edited:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Losing weight
Never Never do I loose weight here in Turkey even though I eat sensibly ( I think ) although far too late at night when we have finished in the restaurant
I walk the dogs ( provided my back lets me ! )
But still cannot loose
When in UK I normally drop a stone - by looking on the packets for the fat / sugar contents etc - and I am not so active in UK in winter ! ---- Strange LOL

Losing weight
I always loose weight in Turkey, I have just been there for 1 month and lost almost 8lbs. I walk everywhere and use the gym in the park.
I am a vegetarian so the salads, veg and fruit afre wonderful, I restrict myself to the bread though as I love it too much. For breakfast I have the low fat yogurt in the pink tubs and the low fat milk in the pink cartons. If we eat out I ask for no salad dressing and just use lemon juice on salads. I love mayo but restrict myself to a teaspoon only. Then I have several vodkas and sprite to bring the calories back up, but I do loose weight. Just be sensible but have the odd treats as you would if going to a slimming club, it works for me. Good luck

carolk

R.I.P
Losing weight
I have lost about 2st here without trying. I think its because there are less convenience foods.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Losing weight
I am one of natures very very lucky ones, must be my metabolism, cos I do love my food but cannot each too much of anything in one sesh, I just get the full-up feeling and stop, but in Turkey I always lose about 2-3lb over the 2 weeks, drink loads of water during the day, maybe that's why, but also we love the fresh fruit and veg in Turkey that's so tasty compared with the stuff here, we hardly have any local produce, like we can get new potatoes, etc all year!!! I am addicted to English Stawberries at the moment, breakfast, snacking during the day they are delish.

Pat, I've met you and don't think you look overweight at all. Lucky you having to have an extended stay, I know what you mean tho', but you could always have slim line tonic, lol.

Losing weight
i lose weight during my extended holidays in turkey - not sure why but i think it is the change of diet. i eat more sensibly in turkey and despite drinking more i never always lose5 or more pounds over the 5 weeks :5:
Bonus...

tinkyman

Losing weight
its a simple calculation
more calories out than calories in
firms like weight watchers just make millions trying to complicate a simple calculation. and by this I am not saying it is easy but buying rip off products and going to rip off classes does not work. its will power as with anything. if you want results it takes hard work

Losing weight
its a simple calculation
more calories out than calories in
firms like weight watchers just make millions trying to complicate a simple calculation. and by this I am not saying it is easy but buying rip off products and going to rip off classes does not work. its will power as with anything. if you want results it takes hard work

LOL!!! now tell me something I don't know!!:kafa:

Losing weight
I was in Turgutreis for six weeks in the Spring and, having put on a lot of weight since retiring, I decided to turn my stay into a kind of 'Boot Camp'.

I walked an average of about six miles a day, including going up to all of the windmills I could find and if I stopped for refreshments I drank tea and water (not my beloved Efes).

Two slices of toast and two boiled eggs every morning and if I was in the flat in the evening it was pasta (to help with the walking) or, if I was out it was salad (wonderful salads in Turkey). A couple of glasses of red wine in the evening and early to bed at about 10 o'clock.

If I could offer one word of advice - If you are trying to lose weight switch your scales to Kilos. Then, if you see a drop of one decimal point (100grams) it is at least encouraging even though it is only about a quarter pound. If your scales are on stones and pounds you only see a change when you drop a whole pound (454 grams) which could take days and is not in the least encouraging. And keep your daily data in a diary and brag about it to yourself - you will have earnt it.

Anyway, in the six weeks I lost a stone and a half and went home bloody fit and wearing new trousers!

Good luck,

Colin

Losing weight
I stopped dieting and lost 4 stone. I found when I dieted I felt left out and always thought about and craved for food. Since I stopped dieting I no longer crave bad foods or overeat or think about food .I now eat fresh veggies and salads and chicken and fish. I also sometimes have chocolates and cakes, but not that often as I dont crave sweet processed foods any more. I never eat packet food any more. I exercise 4-5 times a week and garden about 5-6 hours a week. I love feeling free about my food now,, just eating when hungry and eating fresh healthy unprocessed things....I have kept weight off now for 2 years....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom