sligogent

Looking to retire in Alanya, seeking tips
I am nearing clocking out time in my occupation and looking to spend a lot of time in Alanya as had many holidays there before, and found it a nice place, but holidays and living in Alanya 2 different worlds, I intend to purchase as would spend a lot of time out there, as rents seem high and you are at the mercy of Landlord,, and guess Apartment would have just the basic and no big screen tv, as would need Sports TV, so any tips for the future, I would prefer to live in Between Oba to Mahmultar, but it has been 9 years since I last stood in Alanya as Gazisapa was only starting up, I WOULD welcome tips about Health insurance, cost of living, many expat still living in Alanya , how to kill the day when days are short, plus how to heat apartment, are inverted Air conditioning units any good and do they use much power, any advise on Driving over there as from what I HAVE seen 3 and 4 on a motor bike, no seat belts, Traffic light what are they for,
Hope to get some advise
Philip

I am waiting for my husband to retire before we can make the move ourselves next year, so can't give you much advice.

I can tell you though, that the whole area has changed an awful lot since you were last there 9 years ago. Lots & lots of new hotels & apartments have been built & they are still building. Until a time when you can get there yourself to take a look, I would have a look on Google Maps & also have a wander around in the Street View option.

Compared to the UK, rents are very cheap, but there are places aimed at Foreigners that are more than double the prices of others. We already own a property, but if buying again now, I think that I would rent for a bit first or at least spend a good amount of time in an affordable hotel whilst I checked out the area. www.sahibinden.com a good website to look at for buying & renting, although you now need to register to use the site. It will give you a clearer idea of prices, as many of the websites we see in our own countries are aimed at selling purely to Foreigners.

Why not rent & buy yourself a big TV for your sports. You can take it with you if you move or if things don't go as planned then sell it on. It would be a small loss compared to buying in the wrong area.

We always fly into Antalya, so haven't yet sampled Gazipaza. On the route from Antalya to Alanya the roads have changed drastically in the past few years. Loads of ugly flyovers have been built, not only are they ugly, but we keep missing the exits to where we are going, because you have to come off the main road earlier before a flyover to get to where you want to be.
I don't think that Turkish driving has improved a whole lot, but there are now a lot of speed cameras & Police road block checks & they have tried to make motorcyclists wear helmets etc.
A novel idea of theirs is the Cardboard Cutout Police Car, placed along the roadside. The tourists at least see them from a distance & slow down thinking that they are real.

One of the big changes in the past 9 years is the growth of the coffee shop. There are now hundreds of places to stop for a drink & a European style cake/ice cream/chocolates.

Many of the new build apartment blocks are also now being built with coffee shops, gyms etc as well as the usual swimming pools. Just be aware of the service charges on these

Hopefully some of the others living in Alanya will help you more

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
My son came 2 years ago and said just like Blackpool, that's how much its changed.

sligogent

I am waiting for my husband to retire before we can make the move ourselves next year, so can't give you much advice.

I can tell you though, that the whole area has changed an awful lot since you were last there 9 years ago. Lots & lots of new hotels & apartments have been built & they are still building. Until a time when you can get there yourself to take a look, I would have a look on Google Maps & also have a wander around in the Street View option.

Compared to the UK, rents are very cheap, but there are places aimed at Foreigners that are more than double the prices of others. We already own a property, but if buying again now, I think that I would rent for a bit first or at least spend a good amount of time in an affordable hotel whilst I checked out the area. www.sahibinden.com a good website to look at for buying & renting, although you now need to register to use the site. It will give you a clearer idea of prices, as many of the websites we see in our own countries are aimed at selling purely to Foreigners.

Why not rent & buy yourself a big TV for your sports. You can take it with you if you move or if things don't go as planned then sell it on. It would be a small loss compared to buying in the wrong area.

We always fly into Antalya, so haven't yet sampled Gazipaza. On the route from Antalya to Alanya the roads have changed drastically in the past few years. Loads of ugly flyovers have been built, not only are they ugly, but we keep missing the exits to where we are going, because you have to come off the main road earlier before a flyover to get to where you want to be.
I don't think that Turkish driving has improved a whole lot, but there are now a lot of speed cameras & Police road block checks & they have tried to make motorcyclists wear helmets etc.
A novel idea of theirs is the Cardboard Cutout Police Car, placed along the roadside. The tourists at least see them from a distance & slow down thinking that they are real.

One of the big changes in the past 9 years is the growth of the coffee shop. There are now hundreds of places to stop for a drink & a European style cake/ice cream/chocolates.

Many of the new build apartment blocks are also now being built with coffee shops, gyms etc as well as the usual swimming pools. Just be aware of the service charges on these

Thanks for replying. So I am in for a surprise when I /we get permission to travel ,I am hoping to travel into Gazip

Hopefully some of the others living in Alanya will

sligogent

Thanks for replying with good information, I hope to travel out late this year if we are giving permission to travel.
I understand that apartment blocks with Swimming pools and gyms need to be maintained so monthly charge/aidat i think it called would be high and Turkish residencies not willing to chip in . So I think I will give those complex a miss as you have pointed out, I will travel out on my own terms and not get hooked into free inspection trips, As when I was market in Alanya city buying a pairs of jeans they would not let you go, so buying apartment would be worse, maybe I could be wrong,
I like areas from Oba out to Mahmultar, but most Apartments i look at online have open plan kitchen, that not for me, I want separate kitchen, i noticed solar panels for Heating water are not mention much it all Water heater,
Do you know if Football stadium is still in Oba along coast road. I sometimes locak at council Live web cam online here,
Do you intend to retire out there and hop back to UK on and off
Thanks again for your input
Stay safe and enjoy life

I think that all new apartments tend to be open plan. Someone also commented on another thread that the new builds tend not to have solar hot water now. Probably because they cost more to install & there isn't room for them all on a big high rise building.

The football team now have a large stadium in land from Oba. Bahçeşehir Okulları Stadium - Wikipedia

Football isn't of interest to me or my husband, so don't know anything about it & haven't been to the stadium.

We intend to retire out there & just pop back to visit family in the UK. Until we try it we have no idea how it will go. If it isn't warm enough for us in the winter, or it is too wet, then we may go somewhere else for a few months. We are going to rent out our UK home, so we can go back to it if we want to. It will also give us extra income.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Best to stay independent, you can use estate agents or drive around looking for 'satılık' signs. We sold our villa in Bodrum without advertising it, someone stopped at security and asked if he knew any villas on the site that may be for sale.

sligogent

Best to stay independent, you can use estate agents or drive around looking for 'satılık' signs. We sold our villa in Bodrum without advertising it, someone stopped at security and asked if he knew any villas on the site that may be for sale.
hi Abi
Thanks for good advise, but a small problem might be getting information from security langugage barrier, but not a major obstacle, as I would think might be a cheaper option as some estate agent looking for 3 and 4% commision on top of purchase price, is that normal procedure

sligogent

I think that all new apartments tend to be open plan. Someone also commented on another thread that the new builds tend not to have solar hot water now. Probably because they cost more to install & there isn't room for them all on a big high rise building.

The football team now have a large stadium in land from Oba. Bahçeşehir Okulları Stadium - Wikipedia

Football isn't of interest to me or my husband, so don't know anything about it & haven't been to the stadium.

We intend to retire out there & just pop back to visit family in the UK. Until we try it we have no idea how it will go. If it isn't warm enough for us in the winter, or it is too wet, then we may go somewhere else for a few months. We are going to rent out our UK home, so we can go back to it if we want to. It will also give us extra income.
Hi
I think that if I can only get an open plan kitchen, I will not purchase, The reason I asked about football stadium, was I stayed near by and pick up on some talk about football stadium was sold to a developer to build apartment, I found it to be a nice area, but would be out of my price bracket as it frontline and would noisy with road,
I believe that a lot of Russians are purchasing out there now, as a lot of website have Russian connection on them, but as has been pointed out in similar page to buy privately if possible, as some estate agents seeking 3 or 4 % on top of purchase price, I would like to rent out there but getting quoted 60 - 90 euro a night, but as said look for reasonable priced Hotel

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
They can ask for what they like in the way of rent, but they will take what you offer. look at the prices on www.sahibinden.com, you will find better prices, even better if you can get a turk to make the call for you, as if they were looking to rent. When we bought our land here, i had a Turkish friend agree the price. Sure, the vendor was p1ssed off when he found that the purchaser was a foreigner, but we got the real price.

sligogent

They can ask for what they like in the way of rent, but they will take what you offer. look at the prices on www.sahibinden.com, you will find better prices, even better if you can get a turk to make the call for you, as if they were looking to rent. When we bought our land here, i had a Turkish friend agree the price. Sure, the vendor was p1ssed off when he found that the purchaser was a foreigner, but we got the real price.
So there is 2 prices out there, Turkish price and European price, nice to know, as in every country you can ask what you like but you can take what,s on the table, Trying to log on to the that website but at the moment no joy,

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Hi
I think that if I can only get an open plan kitchen, I will not purchase, The reason I asked about football stadium, was I stayed near by and pick up on some talk about football stadium was sold to a developer to build apartment, I found it to be a nice area, but would be out of my price bracket as it frontline and would noisy with road,
I believe that a lot of Russians are purchasing out there now, as a lot of website have Russian connection on them, but as has been pointed out in similar page to buy privately if possible, as some estate agents seeking 3 or 4 % on top of purchase price, I would like to rent out there but getting quoted 60 - 90 euro a night, but as said look for reasonable priced Hotel
The stadium building is still but I don't think it is used for football now, they have built a new stadium up in I think obakoy. There are so many new apartments in that area.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
When you do buy, consider buying locally made white goods. All of our white goods are Beko, bought in 2003, we have had only 3 occasions to call out their service team. We called in to report a problem with our oven yesterday around 16:00. They were here today at 11:00 and took it away no call out fee, 50km round trip. estimated repair cost 200TL, brilliant. To be fair they do have a particular day to visit an area and the day for our area is Thursday.

One of the best things about Turkey is the delivery of goods. I have mainly purchased things from smaller shops, as they not only deliver things quickly but actually unpack them & install them. No moans about taking things up to the top floor or delivering 38km away.
The guy that I brought my bed from was able to deliver it straight away. He packed the base, mattress & headboard in his van & even gave me a lift home. He then carried everything up 2 flights of stairs & assembled everything & took away all the packaging.

Another good thing about Turkey is they still put the fuel in your car for you at the petrol station & often clean your windscreen for you free of charge.

SLEEPY

I am sure you tip them handsomely when they clean your windscreen.

sligogent

One of the best things about Turkey is the delivery of goods. I have mainly purchased things from smaller shops, as they not only deliver things quickly but actually unpack them & install them. No moans about taking things up to the top floor or delivering 38km away.
The guy that I brought my bed from was able to deliver it straight away. He packed the base, mattress & headboard in his van & even gave me a lift home. He then carried everything up 2 flights of stairs & assembled everything & took away all the packaging.

Another good thing about Turkey is they still put the fuel in your car for you at the petrol station & often clean your windscreen for you free of charge.
It good to read about good customer service, it means a lot, especially with a Language barrier, a question for you, what your opinion on buying apartment with this instalment, , I find it a strange one, first I find new apartment over priced and plenty of leisure facilities, but they cost money to maintain and how many Residents will pay up,, and a High Aidat charge, but if Developer goes bang my money gone too, YES beautiful apartment but a big risk, That my opinion and I am open to be corrected

sligogent

When you do buy, consider buying locally made white goods. All of our white goods are Beko, bought in 2003, we have had only 3 occasions to call out their service team. We called in to report a problem with our oven yesterday around 16:00. They were here today at 11:00 and took it away no call out fee, 50km round trip. estimated repair cost 200TL, brilliant. To be fair they do have a particular day to visit an area and the day for our area is Thursday.
Thanks for tip, what do you think about Beko inverted Air condition unit are they good for heat and light on power , as says on the Box, What approx would they cost

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Thanks for tip, what do you think about Beko inverted Air condition unit are they good for heat and light on power , as says on the Box, What approx would they cost
I only use the air-conditioning for heat, and its more than adequate. It's cooled down now we find we switch it off and on to suit it takes no time to get warm. The largest bill we have ever had is 180 tl, and that is with oven, lighting,TV, electric shower winter months.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
We don't need a/c up here in the hills, we just have one room for the dogs, with a Samsung invertor a/c. It generally takes less than 900W but we have PV panels anyway.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
We don't need a/c up here in the hills, we just have one room for the dogs, with a Samsung invertor a/c. It generally takes less than 900W but we have PV panels anyway.
You don't use a/c in winter. Or are you taking summer? We never use a/c in summer only ceiling fans.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom