Bahar

Time is precious
Long term Visa
Hi

I am trying to work out what type of visa to apply for. I want to be able to stay in turkey for up to 9mths to a year.

I don't require to work but will be Living with my partner. I will be living in Van which makes it harder for me just to use the normal 90 days and then leave and come back into Turkey.

Can anyone suggest which visa I should be looking at as I am not sure if I should be looking at a residents visa/permit or something like a Multiple entry.

Thank you for your help in advance :)

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Long term Visa
Your problem is that there is nothing in between: it is either the 90 day tourist or the Residence Permit.
There are borders to two countries with Van, so you might just go out and in again to renew, but you know the geography best.
The alternative to the tourist visa is to go for a long Residence Permit, but to do that each time you come out for 9 months would be tedious, so you would get it for up to 5 years and it would allow multiple entries over that time. That is probably the option with the least hassle if this is a long term arrangement.
Ian

Bahar

Time is precious
Long term Visa
Thanks Immac I emailed the consulate and they say I just need to apply at the police station for an extension!! So I will go speak with them while I am here before I do anything and see what they say on the matter. I have a feeling this could take a while.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Long term Visa
Hi Bahar, I will be interested to hear what the police say. I have not heard of this before - that is, police granting extensions to Tourist Visas, perhaps it is something new (but I don't think so).

Ian

Last edited:

JohnF

Long term Visa
perhaps it is something new (but I don't think so).
Its not new; the facility for extending a tourist visa locally (without leaving the country) has been in place for a good while. I'm not sure of the exact procedure but do know of two folks who did it in Fethiye a few years ago.

For most folks, a border run I suspect is both easier and less "visible" therefore not many do it.

JF

ChrisBobs

Long term Visa
Hi Bahar,
As Van province is not on the border of Turkey, it may not have Customs/passports offices whereas on the tourist coasts and major cities there are- where they are very used to issuing from 1 year -up to 5 year residency permits.
That may a question to ask the consulate- what Government offices are there in Van? . If it is only police then try the extension of the tourist visa. - you may as you say- have to spend a bit of time on it. Is your partner Turkish or foreign? Are they working for a foreign firm? Maybe they have info? There must be some foreigners living in Van??!!
In the end - you may have to do a run- just dont trust the snows of Van in winter! Do it before or after! Good luck!

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Long term Visa
As Van province is not on the border of Turkey, it may not have Customs/passports offices whereas on the tourist coasts and major cities there are- where they are very used to issuing from 1 year -up to 5 year residency permits.

Van is on the border, with Iran on the other side. and the border to Iraq not far to the south. I think I read recently that the Iran/Turkey border crossing has just been rebuilt and is the busiest border post in Turkey, so they probably have the infrastructure down there to help.

Ian

ChrisBobs

Long term Visa
Oops you are right Ian, had drifted inland a bit there from the Iranian border! So it might be ok. Now that I look at the map though, the idea of going south through Hakkar, or Sırnak might be less than comfortable.

Bahar

Time is precious
Long term Visa
Thanks for all your replies. I am in Bodrum at the moment and spoke to a very unhelpful Policeman who has sent me to another office which I have not yet had time to visit but will post info as soon as have it for future reference.

I do not really want to have to cross the board into Iran/Iraq the thought sends shivers down my spine. My partner is Turkish and working as an English teacher we have spent 3 years of winters apart and this year have decided to rent a place in Van where he works.

Can anyone tell me how a residence visa works for if you are living with a Turkish national we are engaged but won't marry until next year.

Just wish it was more simple.

Thank you to all for your help xx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom