flowerpotman

No Clique just Creak
London Olympics 2012
seconded it will bancrupt the country. Nobody who has hosted it has broke even for years.

Mushroom

London Olympics 2012
I suppose it had to be held in the capital city as something like the 'Barnsley Olympics 2012' doesn't have the same ring to it, but if it is the good people of London who were to fund it and therefore be in debt for probably decades, that would be for them to decide.
However, if the purse is from all of us as tax payers, lottery contributors etc I am not impressed as to why someone living possibly hundreds of miles away is contributing in some form or another, then just for good measure would need a small fortune to get there, stay a while and watch them.
I am sure the benefits in the east of London will be substantial, but of no use to us 200 miles away.
Personally, if they were in Barnsley (15 miles away) I still couldn't be bothered.

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
London Olympics 2012
For those really interested (not me - İ.d rather watch from the comfort of my armchair!) then why not be a volunteer than have the expense of the train fares in UK? See www (dot) london2012 (dot) com/get-involved/volunteering/the-volunteer-programme (dot) php

Up to 70,000 volunteers will be needed to help put on the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Martyn

London Olympics 2012
When someone says a waste of money is that just the cost factor because surely the spin off is jobs and business? I deal with companies that are really benefiting from this.

Mushroom

London Olympics 2012
Crash tester,

I agree with your last and don't know why we subsidise the jocks.If they want devolution, they should sustain themselves, but returning to the olympics - If someone could carry out an honest calculation of how much will eventually be spent and how long it will take to eventually be recouped, I would like to see the figures.
Irregardless of how many jobs it may create, it will also be a debt for many years even with taxes paid by the persons employed in 'new' jobs.
If it would only take say 5 years to turn around, I might think more of it, but it will be a debt for decades, yet only lasts as an actual event for about a month.
I would rather think that we could compete somewhere else in times of recession and credit problems with debts as we have just now and if we really can produce the mind boggling amounts required, spend them on the more worthy projects in the UK and creating long lasting jobs (Not just in London either).

akbukowl

London Olympics 2012
I can't wait i thought i would never get the chance to watch olympics live so bl--dy fantastic.And just to let you know the olympic authority have been in Barnsley advising how tender for supplies and services so its not just for london its a showpiece for the whole of the uk

Sailor

London Olympics 2012
It's probably the biggest sporting event this planet has to offer so let's just enjoy a great sporting spectacle.
If the World Cup was held in England, would it also be a waste of money? (I know the infrastructure is in place).Wembley Stadium was how much?

ted j

London Olympics 2012
Every single country that has hosted the games has not recouped the tens of thousands of pounds (in our case of OUR money) in full, that was originally spent on them, they may have created some new jobs, but in the end, we are all subsidising a massive pr exercise that only benefits a comparative few . Do you get any benefits, I don't. It's just the same as saying the royal family are worth the cost to us because of the income they generate, well what do we get back? it all goes into the treasury's coffers, no doubt to enable mp's to repay the false expenses claims (of OUR money, that was paid to them in the first place) (which goes back into the coffers) insane or what? Go on then Crashtester, do a poll.:juggle:

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
London Olympics 2012
It's probably the biggest sporting event this planet has to offer so let's just enjoy a great sporting spectacle.
If the World Cup was held in England, would it also be a waste of money? (I know the infrastructure is in place).Wembley Stadium was how much?

sorry but football is far more important than playing ticky it ! running round in circles (or ovals)

priorities priorities !!!

that said they build the national football stadium in the heartlands of soccer failiure !!!

martin

London Olympics 2012
I am afraid I never think of it in terms of money or costs to the taxpayer or the area.
I like sport,particularly football,rugby and athletics and felt proud when London got it for 2012.
I am really looking forward to it,its been around for years but people have always moaned about the cost and the debts it leaves.
It has created a reall buzz in the areas mentioned and has transformed parts of the East End of London.
A real spectacle and I am chuffed its coming here.
I would love to be a volunteer and may look at the site mentioned

London Olympics 2012
It's probably the biggest sporting event this planet has to offer so let's just enjoy a great sporting spectacle...........................
QUOTE]

I agree, the olympics are the biggest sporting eveny on the planet.

I thoroughly enjoy watching and I wish the best of luck to any host city.

Every country has the chance to compete displaying every sporting skill and dedication imagineable.

Unfortunately like Topsy it has just grown and grown. It is difficult to see the logic of including some of the sports currently played.

Tennis, beach volley ball and football to name a few.

barry budd

QPR MAN
London Olympics 2012
apart from the new sports football - tennis - beach volley ball

they have now included the 2 mile sprint to the local police station for political asylum:48:

London Olympics 2012
AH!!
But the womens beach volleyball tournament is a joy to watch and a pleasure as a new sport in the Olympics.
Nude female mud wrestling is one for the possible inclusions for the future!!
Beats tiddlywinks or darts :angel::angel::angel:

Sailor

London Olympics 2012
I think Montreal made a hash of it and crested a huge debt which I think they have only paid off. (Open to correction).

Mushroom

London Olympics 2012
Don't forget this is London, run by who?

We aren't exactly good at looking after money and investments as recent events is showing are we?

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
London Olympics 2012
Most of the medals will be won by drug fuelled Chinese.
Gosh, thats a bit cynical.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom