ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Living Abroad Still The Best
'No matter how hard it gets, 85% of Expats choose to stay living abroad.

There’s no doubt about it, the global financial crisis has taken its toll on us all. Expatriates around the world are reportedly attempting to spend less, save more towards a rainy day fund and are cutting back on luxuries and essentials in a bid to afford a rising cost of living, and to cope in the event that things get even tougher, financially speaking'.

Here

C

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
totally agree, we live on our interest and it has become hard recently so much so that I intend to take my civil service pension next year at 50, 10 years early. we have discussed going back to UK but decided better skint here than there!

pldouglas

We have spent the last week trying to help my elderly (87 and 89 years) in-laws decide wether to move into sheltered accommodation or not. Yesterday we visited 7 gorgous apartments in several areas close by, all of which were being sold at a subsidsed rate
(£125.000 for a brand new 2 bed apartment for the over 60's with every amenity on the doorstep) in addition I have now gathered an entire file of information on subsidised transport, day centres, clubs and societies for the over 60's all in thier immediate area and providing transport if required.
I have been amazed at just how much support there is out there, after viewing one particular apartment in the pretty town of Battle my husband commented that if his Dad didn't want the place then he would at that price!
The upshot is that they have decided (for the moment) to stay put in thier current lovley bungalow and use some of the local resources a bit more e.g. a special mini-bus with lift, that will take them on a 30 mile round trip to a particular shopping area for just £6 door to door.
So what I am saying is that I think there is more to factor into retirement than just day-to-day cost of living. I think its about trying to look a little bit further ahead and thinking what services would be handy/essential/desirable in 10 or 20 years time, because even active elderly need a bit of a hand now and again.

One of my reasons for not retiring to Turkey was the very thing you mentioned in your post.

Whats it like being in a foreign country at 80 when the attraction of sun,sea and sand has diminished?
There are indeed many avenues of help in the UK and during my mum,s illness with cancer,the help we had for her was substantial both from the Government and local organisations.

When you are frail or not in good health in Turkey,what facilities are in place and is it difficult to cope with old age there. Do you return to the UK and take a chance on re integrating back here for care.
I have always believed that its best to postpone emigrating until retirement when you have capital and dont rely on work but as that is usually 50+ ,health issues in old age come upon you quicker than you think.
Having said that the lovely Soo (Rainbow) and Sue(Luckycat) have both had serious health issues living in Turkey and are managing amazingly well so perhaps its not a problem getting support financially and mentally in a foreign country when you are older.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
I take the attitude that I will cross each bridge as I come to it. Or to put it another way, I am almost 56 and LOVING it here. I do not plan to go back to the UK for many years. That would giving up on life here when I am still enjoying it. Why rush back now to prepare for when I am 80 (or whenever)?

If I were to give up on it now, when the heck WOULD be the right time to live here????

I would rather live here and possibly die here before I even reach decrepitude. Seize the day.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I take the attitude that I will cross each bridge as I come to it. Or to put it another way, I am almost 56 and LOVING it here. I do not plan to go back to the UK for many years. That would giving up on life here when I am still enjoying it. Why rush back now to prepare for when I am 80 (or whenever)?

If I were to give up on it now, when the heck WOULD be the right time to live here????

I would rather live here and possibly die here before I even reach decrepitude. Seize the day.

Well said. We have no intentions of returning to UK unless it became absolutely necessary.

Are you really 55 Lynne?
The way you shinned up those Roman ruins last September in Uzumlu ,I thought you were 25!!
To all forum members I would say our Lynne is pretty "Cool" with her music and internet according to my daughter.
Her response to my comment sums up her personality and her "Seize the day" philosophy was obvious as we tore up a rock strewn track on the side of a mountain in her car!!
You are one hell of a cool cookie for your age Lynne Lol.
People with your outlook on life can survive anywhere :25::25:

butt007

Warren
Lynne is absolutely right, I am 72, my wife 75, you have to grasp a thing whilst you can or it may just pass you by to your eternal regret.
Warren

Bibby

Ferretbrain
ROFL Terry, you HAVE made me smile. We did that run up the mountain again about 2 weeks later and it was WORSE, due to the rain. Had to laugh, but I said I wont do it again till they sort the road out, it was seriously nasty in places. But thanks Terry, I feel 25 now ;)

BTW, 56 at crimbo :eek: Have had a bad back this week, so no yomping up any ruins. I am the ruin. :drum:

Well said Ferretbrain - love the name, it must be that Uzumlu air! I'm 58 next Feb but feel 48 - I attempted the ruins but chickened out almost at the very spot (unbeknown to me) as I had my grandson in the car and no mobile! But I'll be up there next June!

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Hi Denise, I hope you make it next year. If you haven't been before, take a nice picnic and a camera, go late afternoon and take your time. I tend to be like a bull at a gate when I get up there and its a shame. Next time I go its going to be with a picnic, to force me to slow down and savour it. Fancy that Terry? ;)

muscari

yes it does get to you living here...ups and downs...cant believe what goes on here....and getting used to living here...but its a beautiful country ,,,and the weather is fab....much slower pace of life....so very different to what am used to....love it when back in uk its my home...but ..think of turkey ...alot when there....i think it becomes drug like when u have been here awhile...unless i am going mad...lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom