Live Perseids (Meteor) Webcam
Hi Gerald..Fendouglous posted about the same thing on Monday...but i believe he sais the shower would be tuesday night ?

teresa

Free Thinker
I watched from 1.30 to 4.30 this morning and saw no more than a dozen "shooting stars" of which 3 or 4 were nice but not spectacular. I do watch most years, at least for a while and in my opinion the better ones are seen in the couple of hours before dawn.

I find it harder to get up early than stay up late but I have hurt my neck and couldn't get any rest so that made things easier.

Strangely enough the mozzies, which have been fairly non-existant this year, forced my return to bed. More mozzies than stars LOL.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The activity peaked on Tuesday but there will be something to see, for those with very good eyesight or telescopes, for the rest of the week.

pebble

Anyone see the orange moon last week? I saw it and was enthralled, then talked to someone who was in Salt Lake City, and she said she saw the orange moon, then tonite I was talking to my friend from California and she mentioned it too....... whats with that? It was bright orange. Did anyone else see the bright orange moon???>

teresa

Free Thinker
Friends mentioned it and said it was fabulous. The moon was still orange on later nights and I think it was particularly big bright and orange that night - but I didn't see it.

For the last few nights the moon has been deep red as it rises, slowly changing through reds and oranges to the usual colour. Spectacular but a bit spooky! I believe that in ancient times it was considered to be a portent of disaster when the moon was red?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Quite often caused by volcanic dust in the atmosphere.

Harem

I've cliqued
I stayed up and the shooting stars began just after midnight. I saw about half a dozen, of which two were very spectacular. ost of them were right overhead, but the two best ones were in the south west and west.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Very cloudy here in Southeast, arrived home from work 10:30 ish, no sign of heavenly activity. Had a Theakston Old Peculiar ( eat your hearts out guys ), couple of rum an cokes, saw stars, went to bed.

Steve.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Great excitment going to watch for shooting stars. Sat out on the balcony and waited and waited. Then low and behold a spectacular display reds, greens, blues, yellow oh every colour you could think of. BUT it was the hotel down the road having a firework and laser display. Shooting stars, What shooting stars.

janm

We were watching in Selimiye from about 9.30 until about 11 and saw about 20, half of which were really good, the rest not so good.

Jan

South West for us is exactly where some dick-headed disco owner is polluting the sky with lasers! Is there anything left to pollute?

pebble

LOL JIll, I was just thinking, gosh they have all the fun, wish i were there.....i woulda loved the foireworks display too.....lol lol lol you are soooo funny.....

i didnt see anything......i loved the orange moon though......

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Dwight,

It would have helped if you'd been looking in the right direction i.e. the north-east sky. But then, some dickhead built their house right at the foot of a mountain that blots out most of that part of the sky, didn't they? :lol:

Never mind though, they looked great passing over your house.

To get the best view of the meteors make sure you get away from the bright street lights and head for somewhere where you will have a good view of the north and eastern sky (where the sun rises for those Fethiye Times readers that don’t have a compass).

Last edited:

pebble

What about those of us on the other side of the world???? where should we be out gazing at the stars?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I'll give you a clue Pebbs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't look down ! :lol:

Keen observers should start to watch the sky on Tuesday evening, August 11th, around 9 pm when Perseus first rises in the northeast.

This is the time to look for Perseid Earthgrazers--meteors that approach from the horizon and skim the atmosphere overhead like a stone skipping across the surface of a pond.

Earthgrazers are the most impressive because they are long, slow and colourful.

The moon will also be in the same north easterly position but as it is waning it shouldn't drown out the show.

I don't know how I ever found Turkey, I'm 90 degrees out! I was indeed looking NE to NW KKOB. which was the polluted portion of the sky. Yep, that bloody mountain was also in the way and DAMN those trees!

Top Bottom