Yogi

Picnic basket raider
Light Fittings
Are Turkish light fittings different to UK ones?

I need to get light fittings for my apartment but am not looking to spend a fortune (just bare bulbs at the moment). Can I buy light shades here in the UK or is it a totally different size fitting?

Also, where's a good place to buy them??

Thanks

Yogi

Light Fittings
talking of lighting, i hate the light glow that turkish lights give off. my MIL's 'big light' which is always on at nights and i dont know if its the turkish wattage but its a horrible colour.

do any of you's know what i mean? any way to fix it?

sorry for butting in on your post Yogi but maybe people could answer us both at the same time? 2 birds and one stone! x

trisha x

Light Fittings
Are Turkish light fittings different to UK ones?

I need to get light fittings for my apartment but am not looking to spend a fortune (just bare bulbs at the moment). Can I buy light shades here in the UK or is it a totally different size fitting?

Also, where's a good place to buy them??

Thanks

Yogi
we bought some of our light fittings in uk,I think the only difference is there are 2 wires in Turkey(no Earth) and 3 here! Andy put ours up and working ok! good luck....

Andy & Sue

Tess

Light Fittings
Yogi, In Altinkum, just up a little beyond the Million Shop, same side, is a small electrical lighting shop, (Edison Electrik, from memory) I got all the light fittings, table lamps, standard lamps, for one of my apartments in there, brill price. The guy came to the apartment with all the lights in the car (me also LOL!!) checked they suited the ceiling okay, I wanted to make sure, when all was agreed he came back next day and fitted them all, all included in the price. Where would you get it ?? I am sure he would be happy to do the trip to Akbuk so long as he is getting the custom. I found him happy to join in in the fun of me haggling he thought it funny, I was deadly serious LOL!!!!

Trisha, I wonder is it the wattage of bulb your mum in law uses, I find mine quite bright enough!!

Tess

Light Fittings
It could well be the wall colour Trisha!!! (green is my fave colour though LOL!!) the same lamp / light could give off a different effect in different coloured rooms, that is prob the reason.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Light Fittings
Turkey generally uses Edison screw bulbs in light fittings.

The fittings for shades etc are the same diameter as in the UK so bringing shades from the UK won't be a problem.

Light bulbs here give off either a white light or a yellow light. The yellow light is what you would be more used to in the UK. The white light is similar to flourescent llighting. When buying bulbs here it's worth checking to see if the colour is marked on the box as shops often mix them on the display. Beyaz = White Sari = Yellow.

zozatky

Light Fittings
talking of lighting, i hate the light glow that turkish lights give off. my MIL's 'big light' which is always on at nights and i dont know if its the turkish wattage but its a horrible colour.

do any of you's know what i mean? any way to fix it?

sorry for butting in on your post Yogi but maybe people could answer us both at the same time? 2 birds and one stone! x

trisha x
Ask them to change the BULB!!!! To a Turuncu ( Orange one)

Light Fittings
Yogi,
You can pick up single strand light fittings for about 2 TL in Turkey at most light fitting shops or the B&Q outlets.

Not all shade fittings are the same diameter.
If you use English fittings you will need to blank the earth wire off with a connector and insulation tape.
No earth wires in Turkey as I know of.
Electricians will fit their own fittings quite reasonable from what I have found in Yalikavak.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom