val2661

Lifespan of electrical goods in turkey??
I've now lived in Turkey for just over two years and last week three electrical items I purchased when I first arrived just packed up working. :gulme: An oil filled radiator, a kettle and a blender. I'm now beginning to wonder what lifespan of such goods other people have experienced. I did buy good quality stuff as I had been warned that cheap stuff doesn't last long. Perhaps 2 years is a decent length of time here. I'm now waiting for the toaster and microwave to go!!

Val

juco

I have had 2 kettles in 5 years.

I think the life span could be influenced by.

A. The electrical surges that are common in turkey which probably dont help the electrics.
B. The extremes of temperature, might have an effect on the operating temperatures of electrical goods and thus reduce the working life of them.

lewknor

lewknor
Well, I am sure that Juco is right about the voltage fluctuations causing reliability with electrical appliances. Two years ago I bought Philips VOIP phone for the place in Turkey and it worked very occasionally to it's potential. The "step down " transformer plugs common to such appliances seem not to like variable volts. Month ago I bought a very small regulator from Gold Computors in Fethiye for 47 ytl inc. and as soon as it was installed between the power outlet and the phone we were off and running ! No noise although by the odd electrical " click" to show that the device is actually doing the job that it was intended to do - 220 volts rock steady ! The end of a very frustrating 2 years - hope this info is of use to folks having problems with similar small appliances such as t.vs ,computers/laptops etc. Fit and forget and it is about the size of two paper back books joined together.

dalyansteve

Goods that are designed and built in or for the Turkish market fare much better than others which is why I only buy Arcelik now. All our sensitive electronics run through UPS boxes, telephone line, adsl and all computors and printers. You can get your electrician to fit a mains power stabiliser which is really just a big capacitor to smooth out the electrical anomilies.

leylaasena

I've been thru loads of kettles - one actually only lasted a day !!!!! - Arzum is the best make I've found and Arçelik aren't bad.

All my other electrical items bought in 2002 are still going strong but the dishwasher, aircon and washing machine have been fixed a few times.
The fridge hasn't givien me any problems yet ( famous last words !!!).

The computer, Adsl and Digiturk boxes have died several times with the power surges and during thunder storms.
I unplug the computer every night but have been told not to unplug the wireless Adsl box as it messes up the settings.

I'll get around to getting a regulator one day.

Alexander

Automatic Voltage Regulators (ARVs) are on sale in METRO, as far as I remember, heavy plastic boxes with a digital display. These are a kind of automatic transformer that tentatively provides a 220V output.
Several things to consider:
1) When the input voltage drops to 140V they become useless; some models also shut off at 250V surges.
2) You may be disturbed by their clicking when the input voltage changes. Think about installing them in your depo.
3) Pay attention to the power rating: if it writes 5 kW (5 kVA, which is nearly the same) for example, this means that the optimum load should be about 2.5-3 kW (a kettle and a powerful heater), otherwise you will have only about 200V output voltage.
4) There should be TWO switches on the front panel: one to turn it on, the other to by-pass it, otherwise you will have to build up a complicated electrical cirquit.

pldouglas

Aren't Beco appliances Turkish? We have a kitchen fitting company and a lot of our customers choose Beco fridge/freezers.

dalyansteve

Yes Beko is the export name for arcelik although both are sold here and are nearly identical. And before you say it, yes we have all heard of the stories of Beko fridges and freezers not working when they are put in sheds and garages in the Uk, they dont like low temperatures just like most other products designed for tropical climates.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
My Brother and I are gradually switching over to Beko products, we live in the UK. I have recently bought a Beko washing machine, and very pleased with this, also what I think is brilliant, you can speak to their engineer's online, if you have any problems, which could save on unnecessary callouts.

My Brother's Beko upright freezer is in an unheated very cold cupboard, but he hasn't had any problems with this.

Aren't Beco appliances Turkish? We have a kitchen fitting company and a lot of our customers choose Beco fridge/freezers.

Beco F/freezer in Marmaris, cost £350.00

Lasted 2 weeks before giving up the ghost!! Wonderfull in August with 2 small children wanting cold drinks all day Grrrrr. the bin men were happy.

Got a Sharp now :) Got to love the japanese.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom