450g (15oz) tomatoes
120ml (4 fl oz) dry white wine - optional
360ml (12fl oz) veg stock
1/4 tps cinnamon
1/4 tps dried basil 180g (6oz) spaghetti
30g (1oz) Parmesn or mature cheese finely grated

Heat the oil in a large pan and stir fry the garlic and onion for 3 mins
add celery and carrot and stir fry a further 3 min
Stir in the lentils, tomato puree. chopped tomatoes. wine, stock cinnamon and basil bring to the boil, stir well then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 30 mins
About 10 mis before the end of the lentils cooking time, boil a large pan of water and add the spaghetti and a little salt and cook for approx 10 mins
Drain the spaghetti and divide between 4 dishes
Season the bolognaise and spoon over the spaghetti
Sprinkle cheese over the dish

Calories per serving 440

ZiaCa'

Lentil Bolognaise
I use a similar recipe for the base of vegetarian (or vegan) cottage/shepherd's pie with some added vegetables, such as red peppers, carrots and mushrooms. Normally non veggies appreciate it too, especially in the winter months as it's quite a hearty warming dish!

p.s. instead of the cinnamon, I use a herb such as thyme or laurel...

Last edited:
Lentil Bolognaise
Good idea Carla, its nice to experiment with ingredients and make it to your own taste, I can't eat hot spices or chillies , hate tumeric so often have to adjust meals to suit

Kathleen

Lentil Bolognaise
Lesley, thanks so much for this one. Have just made it for the first time and it was a resounding success. Was waiting for the cry of "where's the meat" from the rest of the family but it didn't happen. Doubled up the recipe and have enough to freeze for another day.

Lentil Bolognaise
Thanks for that response, its nice to know you and your family enjoyed it. I'll have to put some more recipes on, been very busy with other things lately, maybe next week when I have more time

Latest Posts

Top Bottom