ZiaCa'

Lemons!
I've still got kilos of lemons on my trees. I've given loads away.

Mum's made some lemon curd with some of them.

I might attempt to preserve some and I'd quite fancy making some limoncello but don't rate my chances of finding pure alcohol in Turkey - anyone ever seen it for sale?

Any more ideas, please?

jcrian

Lemons!
How about trying some lemon marmalade Carla?

Or even combining it with other fruits to make marmalade.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Lemons!
I've still got kilos of lemons on my trees. I've given loads away.

Mum's made some lemon curd with some of them.

I might attempt to preserve some and I'd quite fancy making some limoncello but don't rate my chances of finding pure alcohol in Turkey - anyone ever seen it for sale?

Any more ideas, please?

what luxury! the best we have in the Uk is a nice victorian plum tree! lol

hijo

in my own clique
Lemons!
.. i planted a lemon tree 5 years ago ..the 2nd year there was an abundance of lemons ..then the missus planted rose bushes an the same part of the garden ..not a great idea ..as roses have to be watered everyday ..but lemon trees don,t(so very little fruit) ..so i will be moving the roses ..:)

Lemons!
As Ian has suggested, Lemon Marmalade or mixing with other fruits.
Here are recipes for Lemon Marmalade and Three Fruit Marmalade.

LEMON OR LIME MARMALADE

1.5 kg lemons or limes
2.75-3.5 litres water
3 kg sugar

Scrub and scold the fruit, then peel the fruit as for eating.

Remove the pith from the skins and shred the peel finely.
Place the shredded peel in a preserving pan with half of the water.

Simmer gently until the peel is tender, about 2 hours.

Coarsley chop the rest of the fruit and the pith and place with the remaining water in a pan.

Cover and simmer gently for about 1 ½ hours.

Strain through a colander, or rub through a sieve to make a thick marmalade.
Add the strained pulp to the peel.

Carry out a pectin test.
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Return to the heat, bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.

Remove any scum. Allow to cool until a skin forms. Stir gently. Pour into warmed jars, cover and label.

Makes about 5 kg

THREE FRUIT MARMALADE
1 grapefruit
1 sweet orange
2 lemons
1.75 litres water
1.5 kg sugar

Peel the grapefruit and scrape off all the white pith. Cut the fruit and peel into pieces. Cut the orange and lemons into pieces and take out all the pips.

Tie all the pips into a muslin bag.

Chop the fruit and peel into small quantities in the chopper. Mix with the water and cook gently until the peel is soft and the quantity reduced by half. The bag of pips should be suspended in the pan during this cooking and then removed.

Stir in the sugar over a low heat until dissolved, and then boil rapidly to setting point.

Cool slightly, stir and pour into warm jars.
Cover with waxed discs and put on lids when cold.

You could also juice them and freeze in ice cube tray. Then whenever a recipes calls for a dash of lemon juice (always goes well with chick pea recipes) just throw a cube into the pan.

How about making lemon sorbet?

Soo x

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Lemons!
Lemon sponge cake with Lemon icing on top is lovely.

Also great for Herbal Tea especially this time of year when the weather is changing and there are virus's around, its a source of vitamin C.

Richnkim

jcrian

Lemons!
Going on from Soo's post, the four fruit marmalade that Chris made was lemons,mandarins,grapefruit and limes. Delicious!

She made several types but I think my favourite was the mandarin marmalade, but was difficult to get it to set as there isn't much pectin in mandarins.

Lemons!
Ian,
I found the juice of 2 lemons per 1 1/2 kilos of mandarins was enough to make the jam set.

Soo x

Ava

Lemons!
With all that cooking you'll want to relax with the lemon ice cubes in your vodka so to cut down on the cleaning time put half a lemon in a bowl of water in your microwave, full power for a couple of minutes, a wipe with a damp cloth and it's sparkling.

Lemons!
Rainbow, I have copied your recipe, thanks for sharing, cant wait to make them, especially the three fruit marmelade because always loved marmelade, but never made by own.

Last edited:

kibris

Lemons!
lemon juice will clean limescale out of your kettle-cover the element with water and add plenty of lemon juice -leave overnight clean with a long handled brush.Or you could start a lemon cologne factory...... kibris

fishbugs

Lemons!
Limoncello Recipe - sorry not got round to trying it yet, but was recommended by a friend in America:

Ingredients
• 6 lemons
• 750ml (3 cups) vodka
• 225g (1 cup) white sugar
• 435ml (1 3/4 cups) water
Method
1. Place the lemons in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain. Pat dry. Finely grate the lemon. Combine lemon rind and vodka in a jug.
2. Meanwhile, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.
3. Add syrup to the vodka mixture. Pour into sterilised airtight bottles. Seal and store in a cool, dark place, shaking occasionally, for 1 month to develop the flavours.
4. Strain the vodka mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the rind. Pour into a clean sterilised airtight bottle.
Notes & tips
• Tip: This luscious lemon liqueur must be served well chilled. Place it in the freezer for one hour before serving. Make this recipe up to 1 month ahead.

Lemons!
Yes please! Would it work the same as sloe gin?[/QUOTEI

I think you just put lemons in a bottle and top up with vodka and leave for a month or so, I havent made it myself but have seen a friend make the same sort of thing with strawberries, blackcurrants etc.

What can go wrong lol vodka and lemon a match made in heaven.

Jane

Top Bottom