Leek and Potato Soup
First off, do you have a blender? If not then don’t bother with this recipe. I hate reading all through a recipe only to find it says “now get out your Moulinex MKII proto-blender blastomatic with built in bread maker” so I’ll say this right up front. This is dead simple if you have a blender. Go and make something else if you don’t.

Oh yeah, you may ask, feeling all put upon because you don’t have a blender. How did pre-blender generations, like the Anglo-Saxons or Victorians make Leek and Potato Soup then? Well the Anglo-Saxons didn’t make it because they didn’t have potatoes, did they? Ha – thought you’d fooled me there, didn’t you? And the Victorians and other pre-blender but post potato peoples had the time and the lack of distractions with which to mash, whisk and other wise blend by some labour intensive method. They didn’t have to stop at Seven Thirty to watch Corrie. They didn’t have to nip upstairs to pass on the latest viral email to everyone on their friends list so they wouldn’t lose touch with those people they met five years ago on the beach in Florida. And the Victorians probably had some ingenious piece or Victorian ingenuity to do it. Plus a legion of servants.

So if you have a blender then all you need is three or four good sized leeks, seven or eight medium sized potatoes, salt, pepper, water and a saucepan. And a cooker. What? Oh FFS! Go to the pub. Do not pass go but do collect two hundred pounds and lend us a twenty.

Peel off the outer layers of the leeks and wash them The leeks, not the outer layers. Those you throw away, but only after idly wondering if you should be using them for compost or something. Then cut the clean leeks into little pieces, including the green leafy bits.

Peel the potatoes and cut them into little pieces.

Put the leeks and potatoes into a saucepan and cover them with water. Add just enough salt to be healthy and then a ton more because its potatoes and they need salt, it’s the law. Then bung in some pepper. A pinch if your sixyearolddaughter is eating it, a large handful if she isn’t. You can use ground pepper but I use peppercorns because it’s going to get blended soon anyway and also because I am trying to be middle class.

Boil for about fifteen minutes. Blend.

Blend until you think its soup like. Then blend some more. It won’t hurt. Yes it is bright green and quite gloppy and yes, you can tell any passing children its boiled snot. It doesn’t taste like boiled snot though. It tastes nice.

I am not a chief. I am not even a cook really. However where I am now my cuisine choices are limited. All the restaraunts around here serve Turkish food and my wife cooks Turkish food. I love Turkish food so that shouldn't be a problem but I love a lot of other foods as well. I am a food slut. So if I want any cultural variety in my diet I have to provide it myself. So I am learning to cook, starting with some basics, but I thought I would share my learning experiences with you.

butt007

Warren
Leek and Potato Soup
Hi Joe enjoyed reading your post, made me laugh, my wife sometimes makes soup, so will have to tell her to get some leeks, looks good.
Warren

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Leek and Potato Soup
I love this soup and will laugh next time I make it remembering this post. Just remember, Joe, that over blending it makes it gloopy - it's the spuds. Might be something to do with the starch...

What's the next recipe?

:504xn:

Leek and Potato Soup
i also love this soup ...its got a posh name too as its a French classic 'vichyssoise'.
Leeks are great but a lot of Turkish men dont like them as i believe this what they feed the troops on

Leek and Potato Soup
I think that if you let it cool down and add milk/cream its vichyssoise.

The leeks in the local markets here are wonderfull. Huge, bright green things. They were the inspiration for me to make this soup.

Leek and Potato Soup
I think that if you let it cool down and add milk/cream its vichyssoise.

The leeks in the local markets here are wonderfull. Huge, bright green things. They were the inspiration for me to make this soup.
yes of course..i forgot the cream part..maybe thats why i like it so much ...

Number6

Leek and Potato Soup
Tip - If you don't have a blender you can always use a potato masher once everything has cooked. Not as smooth maybe, but still very tasty!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom