rafiki

Andy
Leaving Turkey in your car?!
My partner and I left on Thursday morning to move back to Spain..we left for Cesme port early hours a week ago Thursday having paid almost £600 for ourselves and the car on the two and a half day ferry trip to Anconna in Italy..Armed with our 'Carnet de Passage' (albeit out of date!, bought at the Turkish/Bulgarian border just over a year ago when driving to Bulgaria) for our Turkish registered car we waited in line for 4 hours to board the ferry expecting to be able to renew it at the port...However be warned you can't!! we were informed that the 'Turkish automobile touring association' dosn't have an office at Cesme port and as the 'Carnet de Passage' was out of date that we would have to drive back to Izmir find their office and purchase a new one..this of course meant that we couldn't board the ferry that day which was a pain in the ar*e seeing as it only sails once a week at this time of year. So waving goodbye to £600!! off we drove to Izmir to find this office..bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, however after driving around Izmir for 1/2 an hour with no luck we decided to stop one of the Traffic Police and ask the way..very kindly he jumped into his car telling us to follow him and guided us all the way through Izmir to the right office ( I've always said how friendly and helpfull the Turkish people are, havn't I ?!!) 20 mins later armed with an up to date Certificate we decided to drive to Greece and catch a ferry to Italy from there, a little over 4000 kms and 4 days later we arrived in Fuengirola moved into our apartment and we opened our Bar on Friday night.
So be warned...if you are leaving Turkey in a Turkish registered car check that the border that you are leaving from can issue you the 'Carnet de Passage' for your car if not pop up to Izmir and ask a friendly Traffic Cop to show you where the office is! :)

Andy

Well done and good luck Andy
i hope everything runs more
smoothly for you from now on.

Need a barman for the winter ?

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
What a bloody nightmare! I would have cried!! You 2 most have a very good relationship if you didnt batter each other all the way back to Izmir!!

Glad it all worked out in the end and wishing you every sucess with your ventures ;-) x

PS: Just out of curiousity, what have you called your bar?

Gail

Andy thanks for letting us all know, what a nightmare!!! Good luck with the bar :)

Freda

Oh bugger Andy, still at least you sorted it in the end. Good luck with the bar, if I earn some pennies I'll come and visit. What's it called? xx

rafiki

Andy
Hi..Our bar is called 'Coco's Bar' situated in Los Boliches in Fuengirola so if any of you are ever over in Fuengirola do please drop in and visit us.
Ms Who..lucky for me my missus has an amazing amount of patience..she bloody needs it being together with me..I don't think anything could of upset her actually she was just so happy to of been leaving Turkey!! :)
By the way don't bother bringing any Ytl to Spain I havn't found a single bank yet that will change it!!

Last edited:

pebble

oh Rafiki, what a nightmare, at least you had some help from the friendly cop who took you to the right place.

I hope you will keep in touch, I dont think I will ever make it to spain, but if i do, you canr est assured that i will definately make a trip to your bar.....

cheers and good luck to you both in your new adventure

Guz1

All's well that ends well, Andy. Glad you made it to Spain all in one piece. Best of luck for the future. Live long and prosper.

Maria.

brenda

brenda
agree alls well that ends well and at least you got away! good luck to the pair of you and your new venture.

Good luck in Spain. I will pop in any say Hi if I am down there. Hope your bar works out well for you both.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom