Helenm150

Laptop and Notebook - Customs
Hi there, I am planning a trip back to the UK and I am not sure if I am allowed to take 2 laptops back with me - one I brought out with me from the UK and the second one is a notebook that I bought in Turkey. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks, Helen

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I doubt that you'll have any problems. Just try to get rid of that great big "Guilty" sign hanging over your head with the finger pointing at you ! :gulme:

Helenm150

I will try! you are allowed to take one laptop on the aircraft so I will take my old one and the notebook I guess I just pack in my suitcase - but should I declare it at customs - I have the receipt - do I have to pay duty on a second laptop?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I wouldn't put the notebook in your suitcase if I were you. Keep in on you or in your hand luggage with the lappy.

Sticky fingers ! :hmm:

Martyn

I wouldn't put the notebook in your suitcase if I were you. Keep in on you or in your hand luggage with the lappy.

Sticky fingers ! :hmm:

And damage limitation!

If you have a big/deep laptop case then put them both in the one.

never been stopped and searched in years, though i regularly travel with 1000s of quids of electronics (sometimes two laptops if one's a present, digital projector, video camera, etc.). still, i'd suggest put what you can safely in your check-in luggage, and forget about it. after all, it's your stuff, no need to walk around with an arrow bobbing over your head ...

willip

willip
took my laptop with me to Turkey in September, it was in my handbag, the customs man asked did i have any electronic gadgets on me, i said i had a laptop in my bag he seems surprised as my handbag wasn't that big.all he said was to take it out of my bag and put it through the scanner seperate from the bag, was a little concerned as it went through straight away but we were held up with getting searched and the laptop was sitting on the end of the belt for a while Pat

Pat

hijo

in my own clique
i,ve took a microwave and a desktop computer through ,not to mention flat screen tellys and video and dvd player.laptops...never gave it a :thought ..but i suppose its if your prepared to take the chance...:28:

Tim

On coming out of Turkey with my laptop last year I was asked to turn it on - presumably to show it was a laptop and not a mock-up. Problem was as soon as the first thing came up on screen (the maker's name) the customs officer immediately told me to turn it off - and didn't seem to understand why I insisted it had to fully boot up before I would then perform a proper shut down.

If you carry two you may raise some suspicions.

mintyk

I travelled back to Uk from Bodrum 21st Dec 2009. I had to open my main bag so they could check the electronics I had in there, I had taken care with packing and the electronics was tightly wrapped in cling film, there was a charger for the lappy and the modem, then they looked at my hair dryer, they opened my knitting bag with my pins and was amused that had a knitted garment too. They never said anyting about the lap top and they missed the metal nail file that was in my hand bag. I wonder if they know what they are looking for half the time. They did stop lots of folk to check their luggage.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Hi there, I am planning a trip back to the UK and I am not sure if I am allowed to take 2 laptops back with me - one I brought out with me from the UK and the second one is a notebook that I bought in Turkey. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks, Helen

Since this is an old post, have there been any recent changes to what electronic items can be brought into Turkey? I know about phone restrictions but what about laptops? Can more than one laptop or a laptop and a tablet be brought without problems?

Information and comments backed with recent travel experience regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I don't think they care about these items. I usually travel with laptop and kindle (which could easily be a tablet), if stopped it is usually for something else.

Bramidan

I don't think they care about these items. I usually travel with laptop and kindle (which could easily be a tablet), if stopped it is usually for something else.

Would that something else be weed and cocaine?
Asking for a friend.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Would that something else be weed and cocaine?
Asking for a friend.

Actually one time I though I was in trouble I had about 1500 Glucosamine pills and 6 x 50 containers of wine Yeast. they did accept my explanation but as it was just after the British woman was jailed in Egypt i was worried for a while.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth

Thank you, have you been travelling in the last couple of months with such items?

ibmc

When we moved to Turkey (Oct 18), I had two laptops in my suitcase, as well as other electronics (Xbox, dj controller, speakers, kindle, hard drives, bunch of stuff). I got stopped by customs officers, they'd obviously scanned my luggage and spotted that it looked suspiciously full of electronic equipment. They had a quick look, but didn't really ask any questions, just let me go through.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom