teresa

Free Thinker
Landscape Architecture / Gardening
Hello Donna

I don't need a landscape gardener (I haven't exactly got a landscape)but I would like to pick Jason's brains if that is not too cheeky?

I wish to buy the Jasmine flower - "Lady of the Night" for my garden. Very heady perfume in the evenings and tiny tiny trumpet green/white flowers. I have been told that the garden shops in Fethiye have everything you need but because of my language problem I need to know the name in Turkish. I was told once that it was called Malissa, but I am not sure. When I look that up on the internet it means Lemon Balm to us, and that is not what I want.

Can you help - or anyone else?

Teresa

Anne

Teresa
Look up the latin name for Jasmine. I'm assuming any gardener worth their salt will know the latin names for plants too.
Good luck
Anne

kadin

Jasmin in Turkish is called "yasemin" Teresa :Dif that helps!

Linda

teresa

Free Thinker
Anne I have got the latin name for the variety I want now thanks, I am going to have a look opposite Migros to see if I can get a couple. I will also be able to pick a little sample to compare before I go, so I should be OK. Thanks Kadin that will also help out.

Teresa X

teresa

Free Thinker
A follow up to this story.

The plant I was seeking is called Malissa and I returned in September to find I had at least 4 bushes of them in my garden. I was in Heaven.

Teresa X

kadin

:D:D:D Nice one Teresa! I know the feeling :D It's a bit like wardrobe syndrome isn't it.:) I spent hours once like woman possessed looking for a pair of boots round the stores...walked me little socks off I did [:p]....... a week later I was rummaging in the wardrobe for something completely unconnected and found a perfectly good pair of boots from the winter before, so I need not have wasted my money[:0] I could have kicked myself metaphorically speaking!:(:D:D

Linda

Aladin

Teresa - You sure you have 4 bushes? Sue says we have just had one planted and a Jasmine! I remember from my S.Africa days that Jasmine was an easy one to get new plants off. That was how I obtained many of the plants I had there as it was a large piece of land to fill up. The little bit of land we have now is just right to cultivate!

teresa

Free Thinker
We do indeed - no doubt at all. I knew what it looked like as I had seen it many times over the years, I was just unsure about buying it. These bushes were in when we bought in January and the gardener stripped them down to bare twigs and I hadn't got a clue what they were until we went back in september and they were in flower. If you want to take a cutting help yourself when you go over. The malissa flower is so tiny and insignificant but the perfume is so heady and wonderful - to me it is the smell of Turkey.

We have a jasmine as well which covers the pergola at the entrance. We have wanted to go through a whole season to see what was in the garden before planting anything else.

Looking forward to February and planting one or two more bits. I did save money and a lot of effort as well Kadin.

Teresa X

Susan

Non Active Member
Now I understand how it works.

Type in Back to the Top in any old post and whoosh it comes to the Top of the Pile.

Susan

"Jasminum" is the Latin name. Jasminum officinale is the common type ,flowers in summer-autumn.So I assume "Jasmine" should be enough to tell a plantsman in Turkey.
Happy gardening.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom