Martyn

Labour, writing on the wall?
BBC NEWS | Politics | Labour slumps to historic defeat

Unfortunately BNP gained two seats.

Labour slumps to historic defeat

Jubilant BNP leader hails 'great victory'

Labour has suffered its worst post-war election result as it was beaten into third place by UKIP and saw the BNP gain its first seats at Brussels.

Labour's share of the vote at the European elections was just 15.3% - worse than party bosses had feared.

The Tories won with 28.6%, beating Labour in Wales but failing to significantly increase its total share.

The results sent shockwaves through British politics and led to renewed calls for Gordon Brown to quit as PM.

'Two-fingered salute'

The BNP gained a seat in Yorkshire and Humberside and in the North-West of England, where party leader Nick Griffin was elected - the first time the anti-immigration party has won seats at national elections.

Their result was condemned across the political spectrum, with both the Tories and Labour calling it a "sad day" for British politics.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson

It was a long night of painful firsts for the Labour Party
Nick Robinson

Read more from Nick
European voters punish the left
UKIP beats Labour to second place

Health Secretary Andy Burnham said: "The BNP is like the ultimate protest vote. It is how to deliver the establishment a two-fingered salute. I think largely it is a comment on Westminster politics."

Conservative Party chairman Eric Pickles said the BNP had been able to make its breakthrough because of Labour weakness.

"What has essentially happened is that there has been a retreat particularly by Labour but we haven't been able to fill that particular vacuum," he said, adding he was "sad about that".

But in his victory speech, Mr Griffin said: "The waters of truth and justice are once again flowing freely over this country. It is a great victory. We go on from here."

With results in the Western Isles of Scotland and Northern Ireland still to come, it is clear that Labour suffered one of its most abject results of all time.

UKIP 'achievement'

But on a night when the other Westminster parties were effectively treading water on their 2004 European results, with the Lib Dems coming fourth and the Tories increasing their share by just over 1%, leaving the smaller parties to benefit from public anger over the expenses scandal and the economy.

If we have beaten him, he has got to go
UKIP leader Nigel Farage on Gordon Brown

Tories top European poll in Wales
Salmond hails 'historic' Euro win

UKIP, which campaigns for Britain's withdrawal from the EU, gained 17.4% of the vote and increased its number of MEPs to 13 - beating Labour into third place.

Leader Nigel Farage said his party's performance was a "hell of an achievement," as its chances were written off by some pundits ahead of the campaign and it claimed it had not had a chance to properly debate the European issue.

He said it sent a clear signal to Gordon Brown: "He has been beaten by a party that he mocked and derided as being on the fringes - so if we have beaten him, he has got to go."

In two English regions, the South-East and South-West, the Green Party beat Labour into fifth place.

Daniel Hannan turns poetic to encourage Gordon Brown to quit

Nationally, the Greens increased their share of the vote to 8.7% but leader Caroline Lucas blamed the electoral system for her party's failure to gain more than its current two MEPs.

"Even though our share of the vote has gone up by about 50% our representation hasn't," she said.

Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan, whose YouTube attack on Gordon Brown became a worldwide hit, said Labour was enduring its worst poll performance since it became a national party in the 1920s.

"I am not sure people have a complete grasp of the magnitude of what is happening," he told BBC News.

Pressure on Brown

And he repeated Conservative calls for a general election, saying: "The only reason now for keeping Gordon Brown is fear of the electorate".

Labour's group leader in the European Parliament, Glennis Willmott, blamed Labour's disastrous showing on the Westminster expenses scandal, which she said was the "only thing people were talking about on the doorstep".

Burnham: 'Sad day for British politics'

But she called on the party to rally behind Mr Brown, as she claimed he was the best person to lead the country out of economic recession.

"We should stop all of this nonsense and we should be uniting behind our leader and giving him our full support," she told BBC News.

The Lib Dems saw their share of the vote shrink slightly on 2004, but former leader Charles Kennedy said the result was decent given the "volatile" state of politics at the moment.

In Scotland, SNP leader Alex Salmond hailed a "historic" victory after the Nationalists hammered Labour.

Turnout down

Across Scotland the SNP secured 29% of the vote to Labour's 21%, comfortably achieving the target the SNP leader had set his party at the start of the campaign.

Welsh Labour also suffered humiliation in the European elections, with the Conservatives topping the poll.

UKIP's Marta Andreasen and Nigel Farage celebrate

Full Story - How the night unfolded

It is the first time since 1922 Labour has failed to come first in a Welsh election, as its vote dropped by 12%.

Labour, Conservatives and Plaid Cymru won a seat each, as did UKIP, which will send its first Welsh MEP to Brussels.

The turnout, with Northern Ireland yet to declare, is around a third of the vote, down 4% from 2004, but that is largely down to the fact that some areas had all-postal ballots last time. There was no sign that the expenses scandal had led to a boycott of the polls.

The results are likely to pile further pressure on Gordon Brown, who faces a crunch meeting of Labour MPs on Monday, which may decide his future.

Former Lord Chancellor Lord Falconer earlier repeated his call for a new leader to re-unify the party.

"I think unity will only come with a leader that the mainstream votes for," he said.

In the English local elections held on Thursday the Conservatives got a projected 38% of the vote, the Lib Dems 28% and Labour 23%.

carolk

R.I.P
It is very sad Martyn that it has come to this, the BNP!!!!

I think its most unfortunate but I feel, there is more of this to come. It may be just protest voting as people are truly sick of the politics in the UK. It smacks of the circumstance and times of when Hitler came to power so it can happen!.

Why cant politicians do the right thing?

Martyn

I think the voters leaving the labour party just don't want to go conservative and are looking for other alternatives. I've been looking at UKIP myself recently.

carolk

R.I.P
Yes, I think they are. There is nothing to choose between them. A terrible situation to which no one seems to have the answer.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
This didn't surprise me one bit,because of the abnoxcious arrogant deceiving scum of a leader that wishes to do everything his way.He abandoned commonsense,logic and never once did he listen to the tax paying people.He sided with the criminals rewarding them with handouts and punished the public that payed his wages and perks.

He is one big fool,which qualifies him as a jester for the queen once he is booted out.At least he has a job to go to.The dam idiot needs to learn how to hold strong as a leader and stop acting as a coward.

His policies of open immigration and handouts not thought out properly, attracted the evils of the world to come here and alter the British way of life.lf he listened to the people and sided with commonsense,the situation would have been entirely different.

The idiot still is going on about,he is the man for the job."What" job is that,you Gormless cesspit creature.You are the enemy of Britian and the enemies job is to destroy his opponent,which in this case is Britian.This protest from the public just saved Britian.."AAAAH",he is so insulting,no wonder the public has voted for the BNP and other independent parties.

Last edited:

Martyn

This didn't surprize me one bit,because of the abnoxcoius orragant decieving scum of a leader that wishes to do everything his way.He abandoned commonsense,logic and never once did he listen to the tax paying people.He sided with the criminals rewarding them with handouts and punished the public that payed his wages and perks.

He is one big fool,which qualifies him as a jester for the queen once he is booted out.At least he has a job to go to.The dam idiot needs to learn how to hold strong as a leader and stop acting as a coward.

His policies of open immagration and handouts not thought out properly, attracted the evils of the world to come here and alter the British way of life.lf he listened to the people and sided with commonsense,the situation would have been entirely different.

The idiot still is going on about,he is the man for the job."What" job is that,you Gormless sesspit creature.You are the enemy of Britian and the enemies job is to destroy his opponent,which in this case is Britian.This protest from the public just saved Britian.."AAAAH",he is so insulting,no wonder the public has voted for the BNP and other independent parties.

Come on Bob, don't sit on the fence, let us know how you feel :gulme:

labour are imploding...
tories are like vultures waiting to see what's up for grabs...
lib dems seem a posssible bet but...
green have no proven expertise...
ukip...not sure about their ideas yet i'm afraid

bnp...what has happened that bnp are winning seats

brown has the blair legacy of policies to deal with, it's not all his fault but his party must take great responsibility that they have cleared the way for racists to enter a legitimate arena to spout their nonsense...

i have a feeling things will never be quite the same again

that sounds quite melodramatic, apologies

EVELYNNE

evelynne
It didn't surprise me that the BNP got in in Humberside , as in certain areas they have a very big following.

In that area - I wouldn;t call it a protest vote , just collective revulsion of our shambolic immigration and human rights policies.

Last edited:

akbukowl

For a supposed democracy we have a very low participation in politics a very worrying situation i think that we need to be involved more and not just see politics as something we choose like making a purchase from a supermarket.it was striking how much the turkish were involved in the mayoral elections as against the ammount of people who were actuleley active in campaigns inthe Uk

giglets

This didn't surprise me one bit,because of the abnoxcious arrogant deceiving scum of a leader that wishes to do everything his way.He abandoned commonsense,logic and never once did he listen to the tax paying people.He sided with the criminals rewarding them with handouts and punished the public that payed his wages and perks.

His policies of open immigration and handouts not thought out properly, attracted the evils of the world to come here and alter the British way of life.lf he listened to the people and sided with commonsense,the situation would have been entirely different.

The idiot still is going on about,he is the man for the job."What" job is that,you Gormless cesspit creature.You are the enemy of Britian and the enemies job is to destroy his opponent,which in this case is Britian.This protest from the public just saved Britian.."AAAAH",he is so insulting,no wonder the public has voted for the BNP and other independent parties.

Bob,

You are definitely a "conviction voter" with very deeply held views and I admire your candour!

I think, as I have said elsewhere, that the great British public are now so disaffected with ALL of the political class, that they either don't vote at all, or try to hand out as many bloody noses as they can, at every opportunity.

I also think that there is something else in the background, as far as the anti-Labour voting is concerned.
I honestly believe that the majority of people have had enough of being steered in a direction they don't want to go, in respect of what is deemed to be politically correct, inclusive and all the other "buzz" terms in today's hyper-sensitive world.

This Labour Government has, in the past 12yrs, pushed forward a massive social change agenda, some of which commanded great support in the country, but parts of which were very contentious and did not carry the same consensus amongst the public.
The trouble was, that if you attempted to disagree with the contentious bits, you were labelled as some sort of phobic, luddite or stuck-in-the-past idiot.
Indeed, not only were you judged by what you said and did, but even how you thought!!
Even Labour, belatedly, realised that they had taken things too far and started to backtrack on some of their more extreme ideas, but, by that time, most of us had already made our minds up to kick them out.

That is the trouble when the leading elite, of whatever party, believe they know what is best for the rest of us, even if the rest of us don't agree!

Basically, Labour seem to have have reached their sell-by date and various senior "rats" have already jumped ship.

Barring a minor miracle,Labour are finished at the next (hopefully early) election and whoever takes their place will have to pay a hell of a lot more attention to the MAJORITY of us, the electorate, from now on. This may require in a change to the whole electoral system, but it MUST mean that the days when the public were only listened to at election-time and then completely ignored for the next 5yrs or so, are gone forever.

As far as the votes for the BNP are concerned, it is noticeable that, according to all the pundits, they have come, in the main, from ex-Labour backers, which reinforces my earlier point about real peoples' concerns not being listened to, by those in power.
That being the case, I believe that these are protest votes, most of which will disappear if the major parties reconnect with ordinary citizens.

As usual, I tend to trust the ability of the public to cut through all the waffle and arrive at the right decision and look forward to people-power having the final say - not the "know-all" cliques!!!

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Very well put Giglets.People have had enough of their twisted and distorted facts that conceal the real truth of what needs to be done.
The biggest mistake for any leader to press ahead with are classing the public as stupid,when in fact it has been proven how brain dead the idiots are in power.Time and time again it back fires on them if they don't listen to the public.

This one in power is the worst in history.Surely no one's that stupid enough to introduce policies that will degenerate a country without knowing the consequences.That is why l say he is the enemy of Britian to destroy Britians foundations culture and the way of living to place it with a new world order of a police state..Very sinister.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
As many of you will know, my views on things could be described as right of centre, whatever the hell that means anyway!

The election of two BNP candidates however, is a downright disgrace and in my opinion, any previously non-BNP voters who voted for them should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - in my view that is.

There were other candidates they could have voted for as a protest aside from that dangerous, repulsive shower.

It is democracy of course, but I just hope to God it will not be repeated in a general election.

C

SANKOP

Desperately Seeking Info!
Hmm! Curious that so many folk who wish to spend so much time as guests in a foreign country (this is 'Turkish Living' is it not?), are critical of the UK's so called 'open door' immigration policy. Have a word with some of your Turkish friends, and enquire of them just how 'open' that door really is!

As for those of you who believe the one trick ponies of UKIP may be a viable alternative, consider this: 10 years from now Nigel Farago (sic) and his colleagues come to power in the UK. We withdraw from the EU. Erdogan finally wears down the resistance of the bigots and xenophobes in France and Germany. Turkey is admitted to the EU. All the aforementioned bigots and xenophobes are able to visit Turkey and enjoy the reciprocity that membership brings. We, on the other hand, will have to deal not only with the Turkish bureaucracy that we know and love, but also with an extra layer of EU red tape because we've given the big 'V' sign to our European cousins!

Remind me never to go hunting with you guys... I'd hate to have to carry you home when you've shot yourselves in the foot!

Fraternally yours. x

PS Yes, Bob. Brown for Queen's Jester... Cameron for Queen's mime-artist, coz he's got bu**er all to say for himself!

giglets

Hmm! Curious that so many folk who wish to spend so much time as guests in a foreign country (this is 'Turkish Living' is it not?), are critical of the UK's so called 'open door' immigration policy. Have a word with some of your Turkish friends, and enquire of them just how 'open' that door really is!

As for those of you who believe the one trick ponies of UKIP may be a viable alternative, consider this: 10 years from now Nigel Farago (sic) and his colleagues come to power in the UK. We withdraw from the EU. Erdogan finally wears down the resistance of the bigots and xenophobes in France and Germany. Turkey is admitted to the EU. All the aforementioned bigots and xenophobes are able to visit Turkey and enjoy the reciprocity that membership brings. We, on the other hand, will have to deal not only with the Turkish bureaucracy that we know and love, but also with an extra layer of EU red tape because we've given the big 'V' sign to our European cousins!

Remind me never to go hunting with you guys... I'd hate to have to carry you home when you've shot yourselves in the foot!

Fraternally yours. x

PS Yes, Bob. Brown for Queen's Jester... Cameron for Queen's mime-artist, coz he's got bu**er all to say for himself!

Hi Sankop,

Don't know exactly who you are referring to as being critical of the present UK Govt policy on imigration - I think Bob mentioned it once in his post, as he ran through a whole host of other topics, nor was it given any special emphasis.
But, even if it was, it would be a criticism which is much voiced in Britain today and which is worthy of serious debate. I myself see much more good than bad in relation to immigrants coming into the UK, but am also aware of the many abuses of the system, which allow some people, who either wish to do harm to the country or soak up the maximum in benefits without anything in the way of being net-contributors, to enter and remain.
As far as I know, most other sovereign countries, including Turkey, share the same concerns about who crosses their borders to, intending to remain.

In respect of UKIP and the political future of Europe, I tend to agree, that, at present, they are a party dominated by one issue, but who are attempting to broaden their remit to encompass the full spectrum.
They may well grow in size and support, but I doubt that the will be the ruling party in the UK - at least not in my lifetime.

As far as the EU is concerned, I, like many British, French, German, Spanish etc....people, agree that it is, in essence, a good thing but fundamentally disagree with many of the top-down, damned-near dictatorial policies which it flings out with monotonous regularity.
I also resent the fact that over 70% of new laws, governing everything from the shape of bananas to the rights of convicted murderers come from a bunch of unelected Eurocrats.
That is even without mentioning that for the past 15yrs, the EU accounts have never been officially "signed off", due to massive, endemic fraud (variously estimated to cover as much as 90% of all EU transactions - and remember that the overall annual budget is in excess of 100 billion euros) and without even looking at the amount of criminal activity in relation to MEP's claiming of allowances - which would probably make the present MP's scandal here look like a teddy-bear's picnic.

All in all, I can fully understand the need for a healthy dose of scepticism when dealing with that organisation.

You may well be correct when you say that there are bigots and xenophobes in France and Germany, as there undoubtably will be in any country you can choose to name, including Turkey and Britain.
But that in no way should stifle the ability of people to express their views on all of the subjects you have raised, without being unfairly labelled.

I sincerely hope that Turkey enters the EU in the next decade, if that is what the majority of Turks want and I think that the move would be hugely beneficial to both parties. Turkey is one of THE most beautiful countries I have ever had the priviledge to visit and its' people are some of the warmest and kindest I have ever met. Really looking forward to permanent retirement there soon!

A Brotherly reply!

carolk

R.I.P
I am a guest in this country - A paying guest not a sponger!! Not a freebie in sight for me.

SANKOP

Desperately Seeking Info!
Thanks Giglet for an interesting and thoughtful contribution to the debate. Although I can't say I agree with every point you make, It is a pleasure to read a response that is neither a foaming-at-the mouth rant, nor a quick dig based on inaccurate red mast propaganda.

I look forward to further frank and friendly exchanges of views in the future.

Regards

giglets

Thanks Giglet for an interesting and thoughtful contribution to the debate. Although I can't say I agree with every point you make, It is a pleasure to read a response that is neither a foaming-at-the mouth rant, nor a quick dig based on inaccurate red mast propaganda.

I look forward to further frank and friendly exchanges of views in the future.

Regards

Ditto, brother!

Cheers!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom