KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kurban Bayrami November 2009
Another reminder that the Kurban Bayrami / Feast of the Sacrifice holiday starts on the afternoon of Thursday 26th November and lasts until Monday 30th November.

Many Banks, Schools and Government offices will close early on the 26th and won't re-open until Tuesday 1st December.

Bubskar

When I was a hardworking 9 to 5 ver in London all those years ago, I always wished that the UK had more bank holidays. Now though I detest the bank holidays here - too many in my view. Great for Turkish families but everlasting torment for the Ex-pats unless plans have been laid.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Ya miserable 'ol thingy ! :lol:

They can have a Bank Holiday everyday for all I care. :lol: It gives me a great excuse to tell Mrs KKOB that she can't have any money. :wink:

saffie

Saffie
I actually like that they have such nice bank holidays and festivals here. Seems to me that the whole family gets together and really make an effort to get out and about and enjoy being together.
I rather like to see whole families at restaurants and having barbecues and picnics together and interacting with all the children.

( Don't much care for the sacrifice bit at Kurban but each to his own)

saffie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I actually like that they have such nice bank holidays and festivals here. Seems to me that the whole family gets together and really make an effort to get out and about and enjoy being together.
I rather like to see whole families at restaurants and having barbecues and picnics together and interacting with all the children.

Us too.

hijo

in my own clique
..spoke with turkish freinds of mine a few days ago .they reckon the price of meat will drasticly come down after bayram..:25::cheers:

Last edited:

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
I should hope so! The locals here are paying from 400tl for a goat, seems an awful lot.
I do hate to see the pens at the side of the road, as previously said each to their own.
Thanks kkob for a reminder of the dates, plenty of notice for us of the fairer sex to draw out a few tl!!

There was a lovely young goat with sheep in the fields near to where I walk the dog and its gone:33: I only hope it wasn't an early sacrifice, but I have rather a nasty feeling that it may have been.

How anybody could eat goat beats me as they are all so sweet.

Sue

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I was unaware that during this 'Feast of the Sacrifice'. period, every well-off Muslim adult is obliged to sacrifice a sizeable animal, and that this is primarily a form of worship.

There is a good article from Hurriyet Daily News here, that explains this ritualistic slaughter of animals, and how it is changing and evolving.

C

Howell's

When ı was out walkıng wıth the dogs thıs mornıng ı heard a cow moo that sounded really loud.
Drove to the bakers half hour later and saw a dead cow. ı assume thats what ı heard.. Not pleasant. Apparently the rıcher you are the bıgger the anımal. To slaughter a cow means you are fınancıally well off.
My neıghbours told me they gıve some of the meat to the poor people.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom