KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kokorec Anyone ?
One of my favourite Turkish "fast foods" has got to be Kokorec.

There are a number of variations on the ingredients as you go around the various stalls selling it, but basically it's lamb's intestines, stomach and other pieces of offal, grilled and seasoned. This is then served either on a plate with salad, in a durum wrap with salad, or my favourite, in half a bread loaf with salad.

For a more indepth description of the delicacy, pictures and tips on when to buy it, click on the link below BUT BE WARNED The language is extremely ripe !

Arse About Fez

Kokorec Anyone ?
I love this guys blog.
Sadly, for us the readers, since he,s been teaching in Kusadası, he doesn,t post as much.

As for kokoreç, KKOB I,m seriously getting worried about you and your eating habits :)

Soo x

Kokorec Anyone ?
Say it......kok o retch....with the accent on 'retch'..its discgusting.

Yes İ agree with you Soo ..KKOB has some strange habits.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kokorec Anyone ?
It's a delicacy ! Kokoretsi - Wikipedia

What I really miss from England though is Pig's Trotters and Pig's Jowl. As far as missing bacon's concerned, I'm not that bothered, but I really do miss Trotters and Jowls.

Last edited:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Kokorec Anyone ?
In my opinion it is absolutely disgusting - even Ibrahim would never eat it - when it is cooking it smells awful --- UGH

dalyansteve

Kokorec Anyone ?
I think the smell is delicious but I am not as brave as you, I also have an allergy to animal fat so I cannot even think about trying it. Then I don't like any of the so called delicacies, I must be a bit squeemish.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Kokorec Anyone ?
..my other half introduced me to this delicacy when i moved over here in April and just like KKOB, i much prefer it in half bread (although the Izmir variety over the Istanbul version).

I loved it!! So much so that when we moved to our house and discovered a well known Kocorec restaurant on Konyaalti beach was just minutes away..we would regularly visit every few days to indulge my new found past-time!

However..him indoors neglected to inform me just what i was throwing down my throat (i asked "is it lamb"?..he dutifully answered "yes dear")..

It took another ex-pat to inform me earlier this month what hubby has been hiding from me all these months...

Im afraid that's it for me...can't ever order it again-it just makes my stomach turn...Bleurrrgh!!!

Visited the restaurant last week and whilst hubby indulged...i stuck to kofte in half bread.

Ceni

Ceni
Kokorec Anyone ?
Thankfully KKOB did inform me exactly what this was before I even tried it.......It's a no-go for me too :eek:) I'll stick to chicken.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Kokorec Anyone ?
Oh my God NO, the smell alone would I know put me off. My other half loves Offal, and loves cow heel, pigs trotters tripe etc; etc. He keeps wanting to try sheeps head soup, when we're over in Turkey, but I couldn't sit and watch him have that, so up to now, he's not tried it.

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Kokorec Anyone ?
We lovingly call it kokoroach. I guess it must be a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it! Not for me, the thought of it makes me look like this smilie:sick:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kokorec Anyone ?
He keeps wanting to try sheeps head soup, when we're over in Turkey, but I couldn't sit and watch him have that, so up to now, he's not tried it.

Tell him to ask them to leave the eyes in. . . . . . . .they'll see him through the week ! :wink: :5: :wink:

AliB

Kokorec Anyone ?
I like Kokorec alot, the best we had was in half bread in Bostanci (Istanbul)....the thursday market in Çiftlik comes a very close second.

Have also tried sheeps brain and more recently, the tripe soup. Didn't hate it but found it quite rich.

Always willing to try anything me!! :)

Kokorec Anyone ?
Both me and my hubby love it, being Scottish it's similar ingredients to haggis, although it doesn't look like haggis,but on a health note it's REALLY IMPORTANT that you pick someplace thats REALLY CLEAN as intestines must be thoroughly cleaned or you could get very ill.We always choose a place where you can see lots of Turks using and you can view the preparation. BON APPETIT!!

Kokorec Anyone ?
Yuk yuk yuk! Never in a million years! Although the dog always sniffs the aroma longingly as we go past the little cart just round the corner.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom