knitting
Are there any ladies in Tugetries who do a lot of knitting. I am coming out the weekend and have some wool I purchased in Turgetries and am not too sure how to knit with it. It has big bobbles every inch or so. Can anyone advise e on it or I'll meet up with you and you can show me how its done.
The lady in the wool shop there doesn't speak very good English. Thanks

GnD

knitting
Hi Lesley,

When knitting with the bobbled wool just push it to the front of the garment during the stitch that it arrives at, if it does not position naturally. It is not as bad as you might think.

Try a line or two practising then just follow normal patterns, but keep away from underarms a bobble or two there may be uncomfortable to wear :p

Used to knit loads but haven't in ages. ERMMM!!!!! may dust off those pins :)

But a photo is required of the item you complete as I am intrigued.

Debbie

knitting
Thanks Debbie, I just want to knit a couple of scarfs, I was given a scarf in Turkey last year then bought the wool and forgot all about it, found the wool the other day so must use it. I will post a pic as requested

knitting
If it's the same as the wool I've seen here I think it's best to crochet rather than knit - that's what the lady in my local wool shop told me. I fancied making a shawl but can't crochet!

Maisie

knitting
Yildez - crochet is much easier than knitting. Many years ago I decided to learn. Bought yarn and pattern to make a full length dressing gown. Reasoning being that as there was a lot of money spent for the yarn, it would be a total waste if I didn't learn! There are many publications on crochet stitches, but they are all just a variation of one basic stitch. Dressing gown turned out fine. So fine in fact that I ended up making another one for my mother and one for her friend. Added bonus with crochet is that it "grows" much quicker than knitting. Go for it - you will soon get hooked!! Maisie

SAMIMI

knitting
Lesley,
The crochet sounds like a good idea. I might just try it out too! There are at least three wool shops in Turgutreis and they do sewing accessories as well. A few months back, I treated myself to a lovely new Singer Sewing machine. Being a woman! of course it is so easy to sew, talk and listed to the television or radio all at the same time!
Happy Knitting!!!!

knitting
Sammi, I am bringing a sewing machine over with me as its a spare one.
I did buy the wool in Turkey and can crochet a little, if my Turkish neighbour is there she may be able to help, she gave me a scarf made in this wool but I'm not sure whether she made it or not.All will be reveiled in the next few days and I will let you all know how I get on, and if possible put a pic on for you to see.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
knitting
I'm currently knitting a scarf with some wool that sounds very similar. It's made by Sirdar and is called Snowball. You use size 0 (8mm) needles and cast on only 5 stitches (only you don't cast on, rather twist the stitches on the needle) and then knit a row and purl a row to the end of the wool. Maybe you can have a look at this website What's New :: Sirdar to see if it's similar to what you've got. Hope this helps.

JAK xx

Reactions: GnD

GnD

knitting
Hi JAK,

I've never heard of casting on like that! I am so going to give it a go. Does the welt/end lie flat after, since you're only effectively doing two rows of stocking stitch as opposed to a rib? intrigued!

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
knitting
Yeah, just looking at it, it's flat - I think it's the big bobbles that keep it flat. Before you start knitting, you cut off lengths to make fringing when it's finished. I really must get going on it again - started it before Christmas and they say it only takes 40 minutes to make. Trouble is, TLF keeps getting in the way :). I saw them made up on the market stall where I got the wool and they looked great.

JAK xx

GnD

knitting
......... they say it only takes 40 minutes to make. Trouble is, TLF keeps getting in the way :)...........JAK xx

Remember a drink's to wet without one the tagline for Rich Tea WELL....

TV's too boring without it! :bounce:

My only pet at the mo is my laptop while watching tv and simultaneously learning Turkish.

But SH don't tell Shirl , just like my school reports state in the loft "Debra is capable of so much more but she must learn to lessen her interest in others"!
:gulme:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom