Kindle's A Winner
I really fancy one but when I checked it out on Amazon they don't deliver to Turkey. This isn't too much of a problem as I have a UK credit card and can arrange delivery to a friend in the UK who is coming to stay in January, but I got the impression that I wouldn't be able to download to it in Turkey. Is this right or have I misunderstood - anyone out there know? Or even better already have a Kindle and are using it in Turkey?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Kindle's A Winner
I think you are correct that you will not be able to download to Turkey. As I understand it the Kindle will only take books from their own store and the copyright restrictions will get in your way.
Go for the Sony Reader and you get round the problem.
In tests, they both seem comparable ( I have never used the Kindle ), but the Sony is more flexible with books from other sources.
There is a thread on this somewhere.

Ian

Albino

Kindle's A Winner
Surprised that Amazon say they do not deliver to Turkey as I ordered books off them 2 weeks ago and they arrived within 6 days via Germany by cargo.Not cheap but I wanted them. I have also received DVD's from them. I ordered from Amazon UK.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Kindle's A Winner
Surprised that Amazon say they do not deliver to Turkey as I ordered books off them 2 weeks ago and they arrived within 6 days via Germany by cargo.Not cheap but I wanted them. I have also received DVD's from them. I ordered from Amazon UK.

When these readers first hit the market they were introduced in USA. If you bought one in USA you could not download to it outside USA because of copyright.
I have heard that the same applies to EU sales. But as I am not a Kindle user I am happy to be told I am wrong.
I have no such problems with my Sony Reader, of which I am a great fan.

Ian

Kindle's A Winner

Amazon deliver books and DVDs to Turkey but do not deliver electronic or other goods.

Kindle's A Winner
I think you are correct that you will not be able to download to Turkey. As I understand it the Kindle will only take books from their own store and the copyright restrictions will get in your way.
Go for the Sony Reader and you get round the problem.
In tests, they both seem comparable ( I have never used the Kindle ), but the Sony is more flexible with books from other sources.
There is a thread on this somewhere.

Ian

Hi Ian, have looked at the Sony Reader on offer on-line from John Lewis at £149 which looks fairly simple - it will need to be, and I can have it in pink!!!.I just want to read books, nothing else - will this do the job in your opinion? Am I right in thinking that I would download books to my laptop and then transfer them to the reader? Thanks :28:

Kindle's A Winner
i have a Sony reader and have downloaded from Barnes and Noble.but i now get most of my books free from Burgomeister.com...İmmac posted the link (and for which i forgive him for some of his slightly acerbic posts...) its a great site ..and i use Calibre (also from İan)for transferring them to Sony
Now i have a new pc and i thought i would have trouble rigging up my sony again...but it was simple..and if i can do it anybody can

Latest Posts

Top Bottom