gerald

Keep your seatbelt fastened
BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Death fear in plane 'near miss'

Death fear in plane 'near miss'
Wing of plane

A County Tyrone man has said he thought he was about to die when a plane he was travelling on turned on its side in mid-air.

PJ Gillespie, from Castlederg, was returning from a holiday in Turkey on Monday afternoon.

Andersonstown woman Teresa Kennedy said passengers were told the emergency manoeuvre was due to a possible collision with a Turkish army plane.

"To me it was more like a nose dive - I'll never fly again," she said.

Mr Gillespie said people on board the plane were screaming during the incident.

He described it as a "very, very scary experience".

"One minute I was looking down at the engine, the next minute I was looking up at the engine - the engine was above me," he said.

"Everybody was screaming, anybody who wasn't screaming was shouting 'get it back, get it back'.

"Eventually the plane levelled out again and the captain came on immediately to say that he was very sorry for what had happened but he had to take urgent evasive action to avoid a collision."

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
omg thats frightening! dont tell me that! i am flying to bristol next week!.... i have always had a fear of a crash!....ill just pray b4 boarding!

scary story but also quite good to know that these b ig planes can make dramatic movements to avoid accidents. i have often wondered if they would be able to safely get out of the way of other planes

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Death fear in plane 'near miss'

Death fear in plane 'near miss'
Wing of plane

A County Tyrone man has said he thought he was about to die when a plane he was travelling on turned on its side in mid-air.

PJ Gillespie, from Castlederg, was returning from a holiday in Turkey on Monday afternoon.

Andersonstown woman Teresa Kennedy said passengers were told the emergency manoeuvre was due to a possible collision with a Turkish army plane.

"To me it was more like a nose dive - I'll never fly again," she said.

Mr Gillespie said people on board the plane were screaming during the incident.

He described it as a "very, very scary experience".

"One minute I was looking down at the engine, the next minute I was looking up at the engine - the engine was above me," he said.

"Everybody was screaming, anybody who wasn't screaming was shouting 'get it back, get it back'.

"Eventually the plane levelled out again and the captain came on immediately to say that he was very sorry for what had happened but he had to take urgent evasive action to avoid a collision."

On the sunday before that the 24th of may we had friends comming from belfast int to bodrum,they were told they could cheek in which, they did then one hour delay then two then four,we then got a text to say they were about to take off which they did,we went to bodrum about fours later,and got a text to say had landed........back in belfast they were turned back after 1 1/2 hours due to teck probs they got to bodrum at 6 30 on the monday not happy people!!

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
On the sunday before that the 24th of may we had friends comming from belfast int to bodrum,they were told they could cheek in which, they did then one hour delay then two then four,we then got a text to say they were about to take off which they did,we went to bodrum about fours later,and got a text to say had landed........back in belfast they were turned back after 1 1/2 hours due to teck probs they got to bodrum at 6 30 on the monday not happy people!!

Sorry Ken, me just being thick here probably - is there a connection between these two incidents?

C

miela

Does anyone have any idea who the carried was? I think that there are 2 who fly on Mondays, not that it is relevant as it seems it wasn't any fault of the airline carrier but it is good to know who has such skilled pilots working for them.

Thank god everyone is safe but it is definately a lesson to keep your seat belt on throughout the flight.

Last edited:

Flipflop

Flight was a Skyservice Airlines Airbus A320-200 on behalf of Thomson Airways, registration C-GTDH on flight number: BY-589 from Dalaman to Belfast. No injuries reported.....' the crew picked up conflicting traffic visually', they dived, turned and resumed the flight.

Skyservice is a Canadian company that provided the aircraft and crew to Thomson for the flight - a usual chartering arrangement.

It seems the other plane involved (Turkish military jet flying near Dalaman) might not have been transmitting an automatic warning of its location (called the 'transponder signals' or 'TCAS advisories' if you want the techy name). Air traffic control were not aware of the action by the Skyservice crew until they reported it to the ground. Turkish and Canadian authorities are investigating. If you want more info the details are on the Aviation Herald site: Incident: Skyservice A320 near Dalaman on Jun 1st 2009, near collision

Don't look at the other reports on the website for all flights round the world by the way if you are a bit nervous of flying - the information online is for all sorts of reports and such like for the aviation industry - not a blog or forum but details of activity that affects the industry.

MrFOG

Does anyone have any idea who the carried was? I think that there are 2 who fly on Mondays, not that it is relevant as it seems it wasn't any fault of the airline carrier but it is good to know who has such skilled pilots working for them.

Cant help wondering about the consequences if both pilots had decided to avoid one another and gone in the same direction though. Thank god everyone is safe but it is definately a lesson to keep your seat belt on throughout the flight.

Miele, airlaw is that aircraft on a collision course both turn right, so don't worry about that mate.:3:

Tess

Oh my word, I never had heard this and I live in NI. Scary Stuff!!!

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Airtravel is still the safest form of travel so it doesn't bother me reading stories like this.

Thanks for the link Fliplop I was reading through the other incidents and found this one in which I found the last line amusing.

A Turkish Airlines Airbus A340-300, registration TC-JII performing flight TK-1153 from Istanbul Ataturk (Turkey) to Algiers (), diverted to Athens (Greece) due to a medical emergency on board. The airplane landed safely on runway 03R.

Turkish Airlines reported, that an Algerian national was received by an ambulance and brought to a hospital.

The airplane continued the journey after about 2 hours on the ground.

Initial reports talked of clogged lavatories.

I wonder what caused that.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom