Kaptan June and The Dalyan Turtles.
This lady is now 85 years old and lives in Dalyan..shes been there since the mid 80's . She was once involved in rescuing a bear and getting it a visa to send it to Austria(i think it was austria)
Apart from that she has been an ardent protector of the turtles in Dalyan.
İ wonder if any of the members in Dalyan have met her?
Apparently she is still involved in protecting the turtles and has written a book ...Kaptan June and the Dalyan Turtles anybody read it?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I spent ages searching for that piece by Jane Tuna. I knew I'd read it in HDN within the last few days but it just wouldn't come up in the search. :dooh:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
What an amazing lady, and such a very interesting life. Thanks for the links to read about her quest to protect our valuable landscape and it's inhabitants on this earth.

ChrisBobs

I spent ages searching for that piece by Jane Tuna. I knew I'd read it in HDN within the last few days but it just wouldn't come up in the search. :dooh:

Yes KKOB it is really frustrating - their search doesnt cover ' recent' ( last week or two!) so you have to wade back page by page through Current News Search on the top RHS to find anything you saw ..!(grrr)

A pleasure SS!

Back to the topic :)
are those books still in print / around in Turkey- I have never seen them in Istanbul bookshops...( when I have had the chance..)
:kitapoku:

Last edited:
İ sent an email to her and she replied straight away..a really nice letter.
İ told her about a bear i once saw in Antalya Zoo and it upset me a great deal..he was in a cramped cage and miserable i made some noises to him and he started to whine at me like a dog does when its upset...ive always been ashamed that i didnt do something about it..and June has now told me its illegal to keep bears in captivity since about 2000...when i saw the bear it was after that date.
İ wonder if anybody has been to this 'zoo'..i hate the places...they are so unjust regardless of how they get advertised..what right have we to keep animals to be stared at to satisfy our curiosity.
İf this animal is still there and anybody has seen it then its time something was done for him

Last edited:

dalyansteve

Sorry, been mopping up water all day, got a bit flooded with the rain. June lives just round the corner from us and is a great character, you must read her books, Kaptan June and the Turtles and the very amusing Breakfast with Kaptan June.
One of the funny things about her is although being partly responsible for putting Dalyan on the tourism map, she doesn't actually like tourists and tries to avoid them at all costs, unless of course they are interesting or have some good ecological interest of some sort. Can't say I blame her really.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I've just found Kaptan June and the Dalyan Turtles on Amazon, but not had success in finding Breakfast with Kaptan June, as yet, but the search continues.

:9:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
hi SS kaptanjune@gmail.com here is her email..and im sure she will write to you ..shes still very active in spite of her age

Thank you Shirley, I've sent an e mail tonight, I would love to read Breakfast with Kaptan June her autobiography, and the book on the Turtles in Dalyan I've ordered for my best friend for Christmas as she loves these kind of books too, and I know that I'll also get to read, lol, we'll swap if I get the autobiography book too. Reading about her on the links has made me want to read about her life so much, this forum is so good because I'd probably never have found this without you my cyber buddies, Thanks.

Maisie

There are two businesses selling Kaptan June and the Dalyan Turtles on eBay. Both say they are the second edition. They are dearer than Amazon at £18+, but the cheapest is £9.99 at Amazon MarketPlace, via Wikio.co.uk. Sounds like a good read. Maisie

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Just got mine from Amazon for £8.06.

I'm still waiting for mine, I'm struggling with finding breakfast with Kaptan June, her autobiography, sent an e mail and not had a reply as yet, but I know that from the sounds of it this lady is a very busy lady and may even be on holiday.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom