KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kangal African Hero
The export of Kangals from Turkey is VERY strictly controlled and Namibia is one of very few countries to which Kangals have gone recently.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kangal African Hero
Yes, the dogs that are bred outside of Turkey are from stock that was exported before the restrictions were put in place.

There are several breeders in the UK, Europe, Canada and the USA but I understand that they are beginning to struggle to find fresh Kangal stock to breed their dogs with.

The Kangals in Turkey are believed to be one of purest breeds in the world and Sivas University has a big programme devoted to mapping the DNA of Kangals to ensure that the line continues.

DSCF1908.jpg

Last edited:

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Kangal African Hero
Here are Jazzy and Tabya and us with Lawrie Marker, at a fund-raiser in London.

2zs5fys.jpg

Last edited:

Karyn UK

Kangal African Hero
What an amazing looking dog. Beautiful!

My best friend's Kangal cross has been a naughty girl and escaped and had a fun time with the other Kangal cross he owns and we now have eight gorgeous puppies. My friend is very keen to find them good homes (I'll probably take one), as crosses do they have any value that could contribute to them finding good homes?

Have to say they are the healthiest puppies I have seen in a long time but boy are they going to be big, Mama looks like a wolf and Papa is nearly pure Kangal.

Karyn

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kangal African Hero
Provided that they don't have the affliction that many Turkish dogs seem to suffer with, short legs, I think you'll have several people interested.

I'd just make sure that they're having them for the right reason and that going to be able to give them the mental stimulation, and food, that the breed needs lots of.

Kangal African Hero
KKOB
Is that a photo of one of your dogs? What a beautiful animal.

Hehehe know what you mean about short legged dogs, we have loads here in Kaş - short legs and long bodies!

Also seems some of the cats are going that way - we have one nick named Lucy Lautrec (was Toulouse until we realised he was a she!)

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Kangal African Hero
Yes, the dogs that are bred outside of Turkey are from stock that was exported before the restrictions were put in place.

There are several breeders in the UK, Europe, Canada and the USA but I understand that they are beginning to struggle to find fresh Kangal stock to breed their dogs with.

The Kangals in Turkey are believed to be one of purest breeds in the world and Sivas University has a big programme devoted to mapping the DNA of Kangals to ensure that the line continues.

DSCF1908.jpg

I wonder why they are restricting them so much, especially to regestered breeders outside the country. There is no kennal club in Turkey so there really is no formal body to help control the breeding here in Turkey.

Biker Bob

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Kangal African Hero
Rainbow,

Yes, that's our Molly. 2 years old and about 50 kilos / 8 stone.

Bob

The breeding programme in Turkey is run by Sivas University as I mentioned previously. They've got a whole faculty dedicated to the Kangal and it's history, DNA, future breeding etc.

The Turkish Kennel Club, formed in 2001, approved a detailed breed standard for the Kangal Dog, which was published in Turkey at the Second International Kangal Dog Symposium in July 2005

Take a look at Margaret Mellor's website. She breeds them in the UK and is well respected in Turkey's Kangal circles.

Kangal Kopegi | The Kangal Dog of Turkey

Last edited:

Tess

Kangal African Hero
KKOB what a beautiful animal!! Same to Val, beautiful dogs!!
I think they look very regal and I suspect are very very faithful to you owners who very clearly love them!!!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Kangal African Hero
Rainbow,

Yes, that's our Molly. 2 years old and about 50 kilos / 8 stone.

Bob

The breeding programme in Turkey is run by Sivas University as I mentioned previously. They've got a whole faculty dedicated to the Kangal and it's history, DNA, future breeding etc.

The Turkish Kennel Club, formed in 2001, approved a detailed breed standard for the Kangal Dog, which was published in Turkey at the Second International Kangal Dog Symposium in July 2005

Take a look at Margaret Mellor's website. She breeds them in the UK and is well respected in Turkey's Kangal circles.

Kangal Kopegi | The Kangal Dog of Turkey

I was told by a dog nut in Turgutreis that Turkey didn't have enough registered breeders including all the different breeds to form a kennal club. This is interesting, thanks KKOB.

Biker Bob

Latest Posts

Top Bottom