teresa

Free Thinker
Just like England...
Regardless of the pros and cons, the world would be a very boring place but at least the weather would be a topic of conversation wherever you went.

pldouglas

Just like England...
Strangely enough I am just re-reading one of the John Simpson books (the celebrated BBC correspondant) and in the opening chapters he comments that all countries are begining to look and feel the same - as long as they don't actually have a war going on! That the western way of life is taking over the world. I must admit there was something odd about seeing Marks and Spencers in Bodrum, all very handy no doubt, but when abroad, you kind of want it to feel foreign.
So in answer to the question, no I don't think the world would be a better place if it was all like Britain. I like Britain, I don't want to live anywhere else - in fact having done a fair bit of traveling I don't particuarly want to go abroad any more, but I would like other countries to maintain thier identity as, I hope, the various parts of Britain will.

sarah t

Just like England...
well yes 'crashtester you posed the question !!..' but the reply was not meant in a inpolite or accusssing way ( but it is sometimes difficult as a newbi to know how people are saying things or reading them !!) ..... my reply was to imply something along the lines of... if everywhere was like england why would anyone choose to live anywhere else?... the reasons you have for not living here are the ones which in your oppinion must make britian not so 'great ' or you would not decided to leave !!'.. surely the answer to ''would everywhere be better if it was like england'' depends on your view of england ???

.... a countires own individual charms should be maintained and celebrated ...difference is what makes the world a more interesting place....so why would anywhere be better if it was the same as england?..something should be appreciated for what it has to offer not aspire to be something it is not at the expense of what makes it individual ...

sorry if my reply offended !!

Just like England...
Well there must be something England has that everyone wants because they are
queuing up across the Channel, from all over the world, absolutely desperate to enjoy it.

No smoking in pubs perhaps........

Last edited:

ted j

Just like England...
Quick answer-NO. Imagine all those Gordon Browns aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Just like England...
I am English, proud to be English but I like living in Turkey having dealt with them for many years and like their lifestyle.

Just like England...
Hi Paul
Are you trying to stir us all up mate Lol

You know some love the place and others hate it!!
Many of us happy Englanders have said before it depends on area and your own circumstances.
Its a highly emotive subject and has caused many rows!!

Best of luck with this thread.:321oi::321oi:

ukizook

Just like England...
"IF" we had a better climate, GB would still be one of the best places in the world. For all it's problems and corrupt MP's etc, it still has a lot going for it [apart from the weather].

Martyn

Just like England...
Yes weather, if you could guarantee the weather then I would say a lot would stay at home. Look at the americans don't they say 80% haven't got a passport, they have the weather in their country.

pldouglas

Just like England...
Yes weather, if you could guarantee the weather then I would say a lot would stay at home. Look at the americans don't they say 80% haven't got a passport, they have the weather in their country.

Apparently the French also like to holiday in different parts of thier own country too - though here in East Sussex we have seen a huge increase in the number of foreign cars no doubt carrying tourists - its great, just like the 1970s, the tourist resorts here have done a roaring trade this year.
We have also been very lucky with the weather this year with loads of sunshine and some very hot days (sorry northern GB!) to the point that I really need some more rain on my garden now please.
So anyone living in Turkey that fancies a good holiday, look no further than East Sussex, its lovley!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Just like England...
Further to pldouglas comment, Jackie and meself have commented what a miserable summer we have had, and how sorry we have felt for people holidaying in the UK. Here in Surrey it has been pretty miserable, the odd hot day but nothing consistent. If we had better weather, the Uk would be wonderful for holidays. I don't wish to disparage pld's comment on the weather here, i ride a motorbike every day and perhaps i have a more jaundiced view.

As to other countries becoming Anglicised, i feel we are becoming more Americanised, all things evolve, ever thus.

Steve.

Just like England...
I love England, where I was born and raised, and Turkey, where I now live. I am very glad that they are different. I would not like it if everywhere was the same.

Vive le difference.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Just like England...
Its very true that everywhere looks a lot better when the sun is shining. we are lucky in the Uk in having some of the loveliest lush countryside the best castles and country houses and some of the best beaches, none of which is fully appreciated on a dull wet and windy day.

How many of us would find Turkey so tempting if there weather was the same as ours i wonder.

Where i live in the south east Kent we have been treated to a very good sunny summer and yes with a pool in the garden (i wish ) it would be perfect .

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Just like England...
That all depends on what you are referring to.ls it the system or the beauty of the British landscape or the both together.

Britian is a very beautiful place that has many area’s of outstanding beauty for one to relax and take in the tranquil surroundings that makes one’s well being stronger.But unfortunately we have a political system in place that is eroding the very fabrics of these qualities of life that helps people to feel alive and mentally healthy.
1/The ever increasing human population of immigrants are forcing a deterioration in this quality of life that we once had in Britian.lt seems the Government has policies to erode the British way of life and place it with a growing number of criminal minds for to exploit the benefit system and to embed a society full of lazy immoral people that have no intentions of working for a living.Britian is one of the most densely populated countries in the world which has now become a country solely dependent on other countries for survival.Big Mistake.

2/The political system in Britian is one of the main enemies in the destruction of morals and compassion and the right thinking public’s hard earned money,so they can illegally steal it by claiming it as expenses

3/The continuous destruction of the landscape around the beauty area’s with a covering of concrete,only fuels more overcrowding that only instigates a deterioration in the quality of life.Villages that once had little crime is now plagued with criminal gangs by building huge housing estates to accommodate these people that have no respect for the surrounding area and the locals.
4/The system that has little rights in protecting the victim,but more for the criminal mind is a sign of a degenerating society from policies of badly worked out thoughts.

5/Britian used to be a nation with respect and moral upright behaviour and taught their off springs to know what is right to what is wrong and the value of money
6/Britian so called green belt was a protection of green land not to be built on around London to stop the over spill of the encroaching concrete jungle spiraling out of control.That was a lie,ever since the middle fifties when this policy came into force has concreted over an area’s of outstanding beauty with historic sites and wonderful landscape for the public to enjoy their day outs that now it is equivalent to 2 london's being built.

6/The Country of Britian during the times when morals were taught and respect towards your parents were important and the freedom of free speech was installed was a time of living those golden years.
SO!,l would say the world would be a better place if Britian still had the policies they had in the fifties and more space then what it is now.

The way Britian is now.l would say the world would be in a terrible state.

lf the world was like New Zealand,the world will definately be a lot better in mind and body.

Last edited:
Just like England...
The big thing I do miss about England (or probably more accurately London) is the choice. You can find almost anything in the shops. And the range of restaurants is wonderful.

Although Turkish food is fresher and tastier, in general, it is limited.

If the world was as multi-cultural and tolerant as London/England things might be better.

pldouglas

Just like England...
Further to pldouglas comment, Jackie and meself have commented what a miserable summer we have had, and how sorry we have felt for people holidaying in the UK. Here in Surrey it has been pretty miserable, the odd hot day but nothing consistent. If we had better weather, the Uk would be wonderful for holidays. I don't wish to disparage pld's comment on the weather here, i ride a motorbike every day and perhaps i have a more jaundiced view.

As to other countries becoming Anglicised, i feel we are becoming more Americanised, all things evolve, ever thus.

Steve.

But you're in Surrey aren't you - we're down here right on the coast in Hastings, probably 30 miles away. Anyway, I've jinxed the weather now with yesterdays post because today is cloudy, still about 18 degrees though - but no rain, and we need rain.
P.S. been riding for about 35 years too.

Just like England...
Its very strange to read Steve,s comments here in Kent too because we have had quite a dry summer with not much rain at all!!
You should see the state of our lawn Lol
Agree with PLD that we have had quite a reasonable summer down here in the Weald like Hastings!
Very odd.

parrot

Just like England...
As the question was about England,was it intentional to leave out the rest of the U.K. or is it,as I have seen in a few posts,some have assumed that England IS the U.K.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom