suzyq

Just die already, policeman tells abused woman
An İzmir police officer told an abused woman who was later murdered by her husband despite receiving state protection that he hoped she would “die soon” so that she would stop seeking assistance, the woman's lawyer has claimed.

"You come here everyday. Die already and save us the trouble,” an officer allegedly told the woman, Ferdane Çöl, who was assigned police protection from her husband whom she was trying to divorce before he murdered her.

RIGHTS - Just die already, policeman tells abused woman

Tess

So very sad, blatant neglect, this lady could have avoided death if she had been taken more seriously. It saddens me how they could not have done more to protect her.
Another life lost - for nothing. Rest in peace.
I hope the Officers involved get their just desserts for neglecting someone in such obvious need.

suzyq

I hope so to Tess but sadly I don't think he will.

Tess

I am very inclined to agree with you Suzy, sad for the victim.

there are too many woman who have sought help from the police and still have been murdered by the husband or other male relatives.

this is a big problem for Turkey that needs to overcome its paternalism..

this stems essentially from cultural values however it has increased under the present ruling party where the the attitude is that subordinates..in this case women children etc should be controlled in a paternal way for their own good.
there is a lot of misconception about Turkish family values much of it based on keeping women in their place and where many are afraid to say anything especially those poor girls who have little skills or education to earn a living and be independent

who can forget the child buried alive by her father and grandfather in Adiyaman who went four times to the police for protection only to be returned to the family..and then killed ..dont let her be forgotten
Teenage girl buried alive in Turkey for talking to boys - Telegraph

fleur

I hope they throw the book at this so called Policeman!! I find the Police here very unhelpful, especially were women are concerned.
This poor woman needed protection and lost her life.
It is truly terrible.

tintagel

I hope they throw the book at this so called Policeman!! I find the Police here very unhelpful, especially were women are concerned.
It is truly terrible.

That would be a good start Fleur :) Personally I'd like to throw something far more damaging at this poor excuse for a human being :mad:

It is truly terrible.

and its happening more and more
this article with photos is from 2011 and the pictures of some of the women who were murdered by their own family members seem to bring it home even more
god help them.

TURKEY - Murder a fact of life for women in Turkey

Bim

We r living in the 25 century, not the dark ages-clearly certain people (Aswell as countries) still walk around dragging their knuckles along the floor & banging their their heads on the walls to count!! What a utter disgrace & waste! Be strong & be safe !!!!

tallulah

Very sad :( sometimes its very hard to break out of a circle of spousel abuse, it must seem hopeless when women can't rely on the authorities to do their job and protect them. I would like to think the police officer concerned would be severely reprimanded as an example to others how not to carry out their duties.

teosgirl

I can't say I've noticed any improvement with regards to women's rights in the past 10 years in Turkey. Even though new laws were passed at the beginning of the year, aimed at offering women help and support dealing with violence, the same problems with implementation seem to exist. Without a change of mindset from authority and men in general, no law will be able to protect these women.

Charlotte

Latest Posts

Top Bottom