rafiki

Andy
Just bought in Bulgaria!
Just spent 2 weeks in Bulgaria and have purchased a renovated property with 1500 square metres of land just 30 mins out of Veliko Tarnovo.
I was really surprised at just how much you get for your money there..Cost of living definatly lower than in Turkey and 8% on your savings in EUROS tax free,
OK it was -8 degrees and snowing BUT they do have great summers!, 1 hour drive to Romania from where I've bought and 4 hours to Turkey.
Not for everyone I know...but for anyone tight with their money like me! definatly worth a look.
By the way it is still possible to open a Bulgarian savings account without having to live there (though you do have to be there to open it) So for all of you happily living in Turkey but looking at saving in a stable currency it could still be worth a look.

Guz1

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Wish you all the best with your Bulgarian adventure.

I'm sure there are lots of advantages to buying there (EU membership being one), but I would be interested to know whether you checked out the disadvantages and, if so, what are they?

The reason I ask is that we are thinking of selling our place in Turkey. Right now, we aren't pushed about buying another property but should we change our minds, Bulgaria could be an option. Better to know the pitfalls in advance rather than finding out after the event as we did with our Turkish experience. Do you know of any TLF style forums for Bulgaria? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could send me some links by pm. (Wouldn't be interested in the kind of forums that pretend everything in the garden is rosy - have seen too many of their Turkish equivalents).

rafiki

Andy
Just bought in Bulgaria!

I'm sure there are lots of advantages to buying there (EU membership being one), but I would be interested to know whether you checked out the disadvantages and, if so, what are they?

The reason I ask is that we are thinking of selling our place in Turkey. Right now, we aren't pushed about buying another property but should we change our minds, Bulgaria could be an option. Better to know the pitfalls in advance rather than finding out after the event as we did with our Turkish experience. Do you know of any TLF style forums for Bulgaria? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could send me some links by pm. (Wouldn't be interested in the kind of forums that pretend everything in the garden is rosy - have seen too many of their Turkish equivalents).

Hi...I odviously weighed up all the pros and cons b4 purchasing in BG however I'm sure you can appreciate that everyone is different with differrent likes and dislikes and it all depends on which area you chose to purchase and whether it's as a permemant home or just for holidays.

The worst thing anyone can do in my opinion is purchase a house in a village that hasn't got a school or any young people in it..the reason for this is it means that it is a dying village, the young people have all moved away and as the older people die off the village gets quieter and quieter leaving you with a lovely house in a village that has no facilities and nobody wants to live in!

Links for a couple of BG forums below:

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index

MyBulgaria Portal

Thanks to everyone for the best wishes..any questions feel free to contact me.

Saoirse

Just bought in Bulgaria!

I am not sure re Dublin but I have 2 mates who bought in Bulgaria and flights from Belfast are now a disaster. There were a couple of carriers but now only one and for both of my friends getting to Bulgaria from here has neccessitated overnighters in Poland

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Just bought in Bulgaria!
Bulgaria sounds interesting. Would certainly consider buying a place there.

hijo

in my own clique
Just bought in Bulgaria!
..same here Yalides,we are already looking....but will still keep a property in turkey...

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Good Luck I hope all goes well for you it looks like a beautiful country, but I know people with a mortgage company that dealt with Bulgaria and they said it was a nightmare with much more corruption than Turkey!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Just bought in Bulgaria!
..same here Yalides,we are already looking....but will still keep a property in turkey...

Yes, would keep a place here. Have been thinking about Bulgaria to add to my portfolio for some time.

thingthong

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Bulgaria is a beautiful place,but like others say corruption is rampant,and they make the italian mafia look like children...........

edeller

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Congratulations!
Sounds wonderful. Im sure you will have lots of happy times there :smile:
Emma

Rainey

Just bought in Bulgaria!
As Jcian said we have bought a house in Pliska, Bulgaria to renovate we hope to move over soon. Buying was easy finding the right place in the right location was interesting. If anyone else is interested we used a brilliant estate agent based in Varna although he covers the whole country. If anyone is interested and seeing what you can get for your money, take a look at Relocate Bulgaria | Bulgarian Properties for sale in Bulgaria.
Have fun in Bulgaria I am sure you will, we cant wait to go.

Guz1

Just bought in Bulgaria!
What's the situation about ownership? I was put off Croatia when I read that foreigners can buy a house there but cannot own the land it's built on unless they set up a company - similar to buying in military zones in Turkey.

Gail

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Good luck Andy I hope it all works out for you. Spain wasn't for you then?

Rainey

Just bought in Bulgaria!
Cheap cheap food unless you want to piss it up all day in a resort, even then it was cheap we ate out in varna had sort of mixed grill for two of us about 20 lev including drinks so about 9 pounds. You do have to set up a company but it was so so easy and that is coming to an end in a couple of years. I think a kilo of peppers was about 28p and all the vegies have morphed i am not joking cababges a foor in diameter 3 foot long leeks. They had all shrunk when i went round tescos, and so so tasty.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom