rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Just a thought re street animals
We feed 6 street dogs, I just cannot bare to see them so thin, so was wondering if you animal lovers and nice others, when cooking pasta, spaghetti, rice etc just put a couple of extra spoonfuls in the water and then take the excess to where you know the starving animals are and leave it there, by the side of the refuse bins is a dead cert.
Last year when my son (The Sausage King) was still in Bodrum I used to get chicken carcasses and cook them - yes I know they are not supposed to have chicken bones but everyone throws chicken bones away so the dogs and cats get them anyway.
OK all you people who disagree with me, I don't care and I would rather not have you commenting on this thread but I expect you will.

:Flower:

lesleykay

When I am on holiday there I always purchase dog food which I give to all the dogs (and usually embarass my friends too). Trouble is I am there usually in the busy months when the dogs are not so hungry. I do feel for them, when I eventually retire to Turkey (hopefully), I hope to be able to have some kind of dog sanctuary, with my collie as top dog!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
When ever i go to Turkey I always take worming pills with me . I especialy try to give these to the young dogs . But of course i give to oldies as well . No matter how much the dogs get fed they will remain thin while they are full of these Parasites But theres a couple of types theres no cure for . So if anyones going take a few wormers . But please remember which ones you have wormed . ...Diane

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
When ever i go to Turkey I always take worming pills with me . I especialy try to give these to the young dogs . But of course i give to oldies as well . No matter how much the dogs get fed they will remain thin while they are full of these Parasites But theres a couple of types theres no cure for . So if anyones going take a few wormers . But please remember which ones you have wormed . ...Diane

Yes lovely thought but do BE CAREFUL as there are people like me who worm the street dogs regulary and too many worming tablets could kill the dogs !!
Best to talk to the local ex pats who know which dogs are being cared for and give the worming tablets to someone like me who looks after them
All donations of worming tablets ( Drontal ) and Frontline flea treatment will be gratefully received in Yalikavak next season by me !
But lovely thought x
:love:

waterbaby

Just out of curiosity luckycat.......who see's to the street animals when your in the uk?

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I give them to dogs that have oviously no one looking after them . In such places as Serigerme . And suberbs of Izmir . Plus a puppy i found roaming Alanya . Or a litter of pups if i come across them like on the beach at ola deniz . If there being looked after then useualy they look in better condition ...... Diane

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Just out of curiosity luckycat.......who see's to the street animals when your in the uk?

2 friends of mine who I will leave the dried food with and they come to village EVERYDAY to feed - have been doing this for the last 12 years and it works very well -- I always get a lovely welcome from the dogs when I return in April so I am sure they must appreciate !!
The dogs do not need Frontline in the winter time so I do them before I go and then when I return - I get my supply of frontline in the UK - normally spending over £ 150 out of my own pocket for that and the Drontal

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
When I am on holiday there I always purchase dog food which I give to all the dogs (and usually embarass my friends too). Trouble is I am there usually in the busy months when the dogs are not so hungry. I do feel for them, when I eventually retire to Turkey (hopefully), I hope to be able to have some kind of dog sanctuary, with my collie as top dog!

I remember on your last day Lesley when we all went to Gumusluk, you were there feeding your last bag full, the cat was the funniest, he/she ruled the dogs, lol.

It is a lovely thought and like Rosewall said you only have to cook that little extra, we all feed them when we're on holiday, but I know from personal evidence that Luckycat, (Sue), spends a lot on the street dogs, and is very caring. It's people that live there in the leaner winter months that keep them alive. I even do it here, I have an adopted cat that comes to our gate most evenings and she gets some chicken treats from me, Monty our dog plays hell with her, but she perseveres, bless.

Last edited:

tallulah

I found the plight of the streets dogs very saddening. I noticed them in Alanya especially. Some I noticed had tags in their ears not sure if this meant they were monitored in some way. There was one with the worse case of mange I have ever seen, it could'nt walk more than a couple of feet without stopping to scratch itself. I was totally bald which made it look much worse. I don't know do they have a Turkish RSPCA?

paul clarke

paul & louise
I found the plight of the streets dogs very saddening. I noticed them in Alanya especially. Some I noticed had tags in their ears not sure if this meant they were monitored in some way. There was one with the worse case of mange I have ever seen, it could'nt walk more than a couple of feet without stopping to scratch itself. I was totally bald which made it look much worse. I don't know do they have a Turkish RSPCA?

I think the tags are put on the ears as the dogs have had some treatment from the shelter/vets, for illnesses then but back out on the street. This is what we have been told anyway.
We wish we could help all the animals too,it breaks my wife heart when she sees them suffering. :-(

matty

We feed 6 street dogs, I just cannot bare to see them so thin, so was wondering if you animal lovers and nice others, when cooking pasta, spaghetti, rice etc just put a couple of extra spoonfuls in the water and then take the excess to where you know the starving animals are and leave it there, by the side of the refuse bins is a dead cert.
Last year when my son (The Sausage King) was still in Bodrum I used to get chicken carcasses and cook them - yes I know they are not supposed to have chicken bones but everyone throws chicken bones away so the dogs and cats get them anyway.
OK all you people who disagree with me, I don't care and I would rather not have you commenting on this thread but I expect you will.

When we go into Dalaman i always go into a bakery and buy a few cheese rolls, and feed any dogs that are around! Fortunately nearly all the street dogs in Dalamam do not look starved, and most will not eat bread!..Pity about the ones that have actually got so called owners that are tied up on a very short rope or chain24/7.. that cannot go and find food.

Today i have cooked rice mixed with a little chicken, which i have just mixed with our 6 dogs dried food, and the local street dogs!.. which we feed every day, plus the 7 kittens that one of the local street cats turned up with a couple of months ago which we are still trying to re-home because unfortunately..none of our dogs like cats. We ave recently paid for the mother street cat, and another female street cat to be spayed.
As i am sitting here 2 more street male cats have just turned up for their supper! Then later we will have our night time feeders arrive... The hedgehogs.

My husband go's to a nearby farm every morning and feeds a very old donkey, that they leave tied up without water or feed.

Being animal lovers!..We find it very hard to turn a blind eye to any creature that needs help.But there is only a certain amount one can do alone.

Rosewall keep up your good work.. and lets hope all others will also help the street animals.

Last edited:

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Tallulah here in the Bodrum area the tags mean that the dogs have been neutered and put back on the street, we do have a neuter and return policy here maybe it is the same in Alanya

carolk

R.I.P
Tallulah here in the Bodrum area the tags mean that the dogs have been neutered and put back on the street, we do have a neuter and return policy here maybe it is the same in Alanya

Its the same in Didim.

Its heartwarming to read positive posts about doing something as simple as offering a little food to obviously hungry animals.
Its also suprising at the numbers of ex-pats who can watch a hungry animal and refuse to feed them.
The food can be left a distance from your home if there are concerns about having animals around.
It never ceases to amaze me that some people criticise others for showing kindness by feeding the animals.

waterbaby

2 friends of mine who I will leave the dried food with and they come to village EVERYDAY to feed - have been doing this for the last 12 years and it works very well -- I always get a lovely welcome from the dogs when I return in April so I am sure they must appreciate !!
The dogs do not need Frontline in the winter time so I do them before I go and then when I return - I get my supply of frontline in the UK - normally spending over £ 150 out of my own pocket for that and the Drontal

Good on you for dipping into your own pocket!

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Good on you for dipping into your own pocket!

If everyone spent a little life could be kinder for these animals
and like I said previously if all ex pats who come to the village bought a
little something it would be good - instead of maoning about the situ !
There is an abundance of kittens that hang around Zorros bar - now that Yildez lokanta has shut maybe someone could help these - just a loaf of bread - broken up and soaked in a little milk -- cost hardly anything !!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom