KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Jandarma
Here's a bit of language trivia that I've wanted an answer to for a long while.

Why is that we see the word "Jandarma" on uniforms, buildings, vehicles, signs, the official website etc etc.. but the Turkish press almost always refer to them as Gendarmes and their organisation as the Gendarmerie ?

Jandarma
ah KKOB this is the english spelling....actually its french...so i presume this is what you have seen on a english report

Gail

Jandarma
I know why!

It's because we live in Turkey and everything is barking mad over here and nothing makes sense BUT never a boring day goes by and the sun is sure to shine in the Summer and most days during the Winter :3:

Andywebb

Jandarma
Here's a bit of language trivia that I've wanted an answer to for a long while.

Why is that we see the word "Jandarma" on uniforms, buildings, vehicles, signs, the official website etc etc.. but the Turkish press almost always refer to them as Gendarmes and their organisation as the Gendarmerie ?

I do not care how you spell their names, I just know they are a pain in the butt!! They will stop a jam packed Dolmus at 8 o clock in the morning full of Turkish workers and take their ID cards for checking. Thats not so much of a problem it is when the driver sets off mad that he has been held up at speeds in excess of 100 kph so that he can get his load into Alanya. I am sure the Turks have different ways to spell "Jandarma" and non that should be repeated.

This has happened twice now to me. I just get my residence permit taken from me, a tut with a stare and given back my permit.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Jandarma
They never bother me. Maybe because we have a local 48 M number plate but always stop my mate who has a 09 M Aydin plate.

Andywebb

Jandarma
Not a fan then Andy??? :dizzy:

I just wish they would pick a less busy time. It does not half upset the locals if they are late for work and those buses are not built to exceed 100kph even though they do.

It,s when he brakes hard and you are eyeball to eyeball with the dead flies on the windscreen and all those at the back of the bus suddenly join you up front. :roundgrin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom