kuzmin

kuzmin
jandarma checks
We have a villa in Yalikavak and have owned it for about 5 years. The developer, who lives on the site, had decided that visitors to the site, owners or renters, are annoying to him. There are 23 villas on the site and there are very strict rules on the site to keep it tranquil and peaceful and these rules are adhered to. Even so, this man has decided to call the Jandarma to the site and has demanded that every person who stays on the site (even babies) has to provide a photocopy of their passport to be given to the Jandarma. He is also reporting every owners names to the tax office in the hope that they will find someone who is not paying tax on their rental earnings. He sold these properties with the knowledgement and agreement that they properties would be rented out but is now chucking his toys out of his pram. Is anyone else asked to provide copy passports to the Jandarma?
Kuzmin

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
jandarma checks
Hi, we have our apartment on a large sitesi, all owners and guests have to provide their passport on arrival for our management to photocopy. Whilst this is not the Jandarma who are taking it, the management do for security, personally I think it's a good idea. Our friends who were staying in Turgutreis recently wanted to go to have a look round our apartment and the site in general, with a view of staying maybe next year, I gave the front office their details, and upon arrival they had no problems, a picture of the vehicles is also taken on arrival and passport copies were taken, they also thought this was very good practice, (one of our friends is Turkish).

PASH

jandarma checks
Sounds to me as if he has had all the cake and eating it. Name and shame the developer! I think this is awful. As you obviously live on a Sitesi, i assume he has not got control of the management of the site too? If he has, i would have an emergency meeting and have the management changed by majority vote. There is no requirement for you to produce your passport, i would take the matter up with a senior officer of the Jandarma and if he feels you have to be reported to the tax office - report him too.

jandarma checks
I think it's quite a good idea too. It is a way of knowing who is supposed to be on the sitesi at any one time and if nothing else can allow intruders to be identified more quickly. Hotels always take passport details and pass those onto police so I always wondered why t he local police were not interested in the apartment visitors too.
Your site owner gains no real advantage from doing except maybe trying to wind people up but if everyone is following the sitesi rules then his attempt at intimidating you all is just that

red

jandarma checks
I'm sure I read on TLF a few years ago that people needed to show their passport to the Jandamra. I can't remember the details but someone renting their property had had a similar problem.

We have never shown our passport (I had been expecting to after reading the post) and we must be familiar to the Jandamra as when travelling about by dolmus we walked past the station daily.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
jandarma checks
I would be grateful to have someone who actually cares enough to look after the site. I think it is the law that renters register their presence, as they would in an hotel.

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
jandarma checks
Seems strange that the Jandarma appear to be taking orders from your developer.

CJD

jandarma checks
We have a villa in Yalikavak and have owned it for about 5 years. The developer, who lives on the site, had decided that visitors to the site, owners or renters, are annoying to him. There are 23 villas on the site and there are very strict rules on the site to keep it tranquil and peaceful and these rules are adhered to. Even so, this man has decided to call the Jandarma to the site and has demanded that every person who stays on the site (even babies) has to provide a photocopy of their passport to be given to the Jandarma. He is also reporting every owners names to the tax office in the hope that they will find someone who is not paying tax on their rental earnings. He sold these properties with the knowledgement and agreement that they properties would be rented out but is now chucking his toys out of his pram. Is anyone else asked to provide copy passports to the Jandarma?
Kuzmin

Is this something that you asumed? whilst we were out in June
the Jandarma were going around all the pensions in our small
village and loading software onto there computers, they now have to
notify the jandarma daily who is staying and passport details
It is very unlikely that your developer has influenced the Jandarma
in this matter

miela

jandarma checks
Perhaps these are security measures, we in the Uk have so many people who come here as so called visitors and just disappear into the crowd sometimes never returning to their own country, because there are very few checks done. We have to assume this is their way of checking that visitors to their country do not over stay their welcome.

Karyn UK

jandarma checks
This is, or should be, standard practice. The Jandarma are supposed to be notified of the passport number/details of all transients. Hotels and pansions have had the software which passes the details direct to the Jandarma for a few years now, rental property owners are supposed to take the details, record them and pass a copy to their Baskan if they have one who then passes it on to the Jandarma. There is a thread on here somewhere about it, probably under "renting out your property".

Karyn

pebble

jandarma checks
I think this is a normal process with the jandarma. Just go with it, its for your security and protection,.

ok, about the tax thing......i think he is being petty and probably jealous that you might actually make some money on the deal.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
jandarma checks
I know this to be the norm in other countries Ive stayed , which is a good idea, at least someone will have your details if god forbid you were involved in an accident or something. I know when I was out in May we were stopped a few times for passport checks, of course my daughter didnlt photocopy hers as she was required to have her photo driving licence on her to drive. Once when we were stopped they made a big fuss and we had to wait why they checked the computer from my passport. They only let us go because we were mother and daughter and we had arrived together. I did cus her that day !!

It was only some good advise on here to carry photocopy of your passport at all times that saved the day.

thanks

Eve

miela

jandarma checks
This is, or should be, standard practice. The Jandarma are supposed to be notified of the passport number/details of all transients. Hotels and pansions have had the software which passes the details direct to the Jandarma for a few years now, rental property owners are supposed to take the details, record them and pass a copy to their Baskan if they have one who then passes it on to the Jandarma. There is a thread on here somewhere about it, probably under "renting out your property".

Karyn

what is a Baskan? My goodness this whole rental business seems complicated. Thank goodness I didn't rent mine out it just doesn't seem worth it.

jandarma checks
So if you have a villa that is not on a site or anything like that do you have to take your details to the local police every time you go to stay, we never have and have had to go the police when we were broken into and were never questioned about them not having our details.

Jane

Peregrine

jandarma checks
So if you have a villa that is not on a site or anything like that do you have to take your details to the local police every time you go to stay, we never have and have had to go the police when we were broken into and were never questioned about them not having our details.

Jane

perhaps we should ask our tame lawyer about this and get the facts

Guz1

jandarma checks
Could be wrong, but I don't think you have to inform the police when you are staying in your own house. Our Baskan gave us a letter from the police years ago. The letter is in Turkish so I don't know exactly what it says, but we were told at that time that we only have to inform the police if we let non-family members use the house.

kuzmin

kuzmin
jandarma checks
HI, appartently, this is becoming quite a well known thing to do now in Turkey, to produce passports. I dont actually live on the site at the moment (hopefully when we retire) and I dont mind asking people to produce copies of their docs, but what really bugs me is that this man does live there (though he is often out of the country or in other parts of Turkey for periods of time), it is the fact that because he has thrown his toys out of his pram, he has decided to try and make things as unpleasant for other owners as possible. He refuses to pay the same site fees as everyone else, because he says he could get the site managed for less, so he will only pay as much as another company would charge. We have had many a meeting about these matters and unfortunatly, it would cost all the other owners to take legal proceedings against him, and he seems to know every Turkish Mayor and head of department in all departments etc. As a few people have said that they have to produce their docs on arrival, well that is fine. As long as it is the way, then we will go along with that. Thanks againfor all your replies

Latest Posts

Top Bottom