Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Izmir airport to bus station travel report
Hi there ....

here is some information on the Izmir airport to bus station (otogar) transfer .... tried and tested by yours truly yesterday.

I arrived yesterday in Izmir, got my luggage out to the front entrance and went over to the left to join the small bus queue. Checked out the bus timetables and yes, 204 goes via the otogar.

Because I was getting on at the international terminal, the bus was already quite full, almost all the seats taken. Before the bus driver let us on, he first went down to the middle of bus and made room for our baggage then called those of us going to the otogar to put them in.

Times - Bus came at 1545 (was 5 mins late according to the timetable) and arrived in the otogar at 1615. I then went to the ticket desk and was on a direct bus to Didim at 1630.

Cost - if you have a Kentcard with money still on it (as I had), it costs 2.50 TL. If not, you will pay 6.50 TL.

(Note: For those not in the know, the Kentcard is a travel card you can buy in Izmir and top it up with as much money as you wish and use on the buses, ferries, metro. I've had mine for years and it doesn't expire. If I remember correctly, you pay a one of charge of about 7 TL for the card itself).​

The airport taxi tout didn't managed to convince anyone to take up his 60 TL offer.

A good, budget option for transferring to any the bus station which of course has a huge selection of bus companies going all over the country.

(Note: As an extra to the title of this post, I got to Didim otogar at 1845 only to discover that the dolmus wasn't running after a certain time in the winter - so be prepared to make use of the service bus the company says is available or take a taxi.)​

pipermam

Thank you for this post Liz. A month ago I had been looking for flights to Bodrum and there was a cheap flight going to Izmir. As it arrived in the late evening, I didn't book it. I didn't want the hassle of trying to find my way to the otogar at night. Any information I found told me one bus to Izmir and another to the otogar, Your post will be very useful in the future.
Mary

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Thank you for this post Liz. A month ago I had been looking for flights to Bodrum and there was a cheap flight going to Izmir. As it arrived in the late evening, I didn't book it. I didn't want the hassle of trying to find my way to the otogar at night. Any information I found told me one bus to Izmir and another to the otogar, Your post will be very useful in the future.
Mary

You're welcome, Mary. When I left Izmir in 2007, there was only the Havas bus, which takes you into town, but that is still a bit inconvenient because you still have to get to the bus station from there :smile:

So this new addition (and two other city buses going to other places as well as the 204) is definately a good option if you don't want to fork out mega pounds for transfers.

I never fly into Bodrum

Piperpam, regarding your comment about arriving late in Izmir, I'd be careful about trying this option for late arrival in the country because these buses will not run all night - same goes for connections to Didim at the bus station. I will find the link to the ESHOT site and check out the last running times and post here.

The Havas bus is timed to meet flights coming in, so you would probably still have that option but that would only take you into town.

If I am arriving on a late flight, I usually pay for a transfer direct to Didim or stay overnight in Izmir

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom