SAMIMI

I've moved to turkey!
In March 2009 my husband and I moved to our holiday home in Turgutreis for a trial period of six months. We have had this dream for many many years of living in a different culture and in a warm, dry and sunny climate. As a very young person, I had the notion of "I could live on very little, sure, what could go wrong?
I researched as much as I could and read and listened to many varied views of people who had taken the plunge. As we no longer had full-time jobs, we descided to give it a go.
Despite some problems in the initial stage, we fell in love even more with Turkey. We have extended our stay and will keep you updated on "living the dream"
We had lots of good experiences and the way of life is much slower so therefore stress leaves you!
If anyone has any questions for me, please ask. I love talking about Turkey!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I've moved to turkey!
Thank you for starting this thread Samimi. I'm sure there are more plusses than - for living in Turkey. Our outgoing costs here are astronomical as compared to what we'd expect to pay for living in Turkey. A couple of things that immediately hit me to ask you are. Do you have private medical Insurance, did you miss having a car, always at the ready, as I remember in an earlier post you didn't purchase a car. The Dolmus is a very good service in our area of Gumuskaya, and we are both fit. I am 54 next April and my hubby is 58 now, and we are both semi retired, so maybe a few years to wait yet, but we do have pensions from when we worked. If we did do it, our beloved Dog would have to come with us, I could never leave him, so it would have to be seriously thought through.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I've moved to turkey!
Thank you for starting this thread Samimi. I'm sure there are more plusses than - for living in Turkey. Our outgoing costs here are astronomical as compared to what we'd expect to pay for living in Turkey. A couple of things that immediately hit me to ask you are. Do you have private medical Insurance, did you miss having a car, always at the ready, as I remember in an earlier post you didn't purchase a car. The Dolmus is a very good service in our area of Gumuskaya, and we are both fit. I am 54 next April and my hubby is 58 now, and we are both semi retired, so maybe a few years to wait yet, but we do have pensions from when we worked. If we did do it, our beloved Dog would have to come with us, I could never leave him, so it would have to be seriously thought through.

Its a great life here be sure of that.

Summertime

Golden Girls
I've moved to turkey!
Thank you Samimi for a lovley post. Hope you still enjoy your living in Turkey, and hope it is not very cold.

Tess

I've moved to turkey!
Well done Samimi and everyone living the dream, good on you and may your joy continue for ever.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
I've moved to turkey!
Hi Sammi, glad it is working out for you both. Your posts on your costs & living expenses earlier in the year were very interesting and useful - look forward to hearing more as you go along. Good luck, health and happiness for 2010.
Carol x

Guz1

I've moved to turkey!
Samimi,

I wish you all the luck in the world. Will be keeping an eye out for your updates.

alisons

I've moved to turkey!
well thats just what i wanted to hear all these positive comments !! Thankyou ! we are coming out in march and giving up a good business and leaving two boys at university. Just had a dose of cold feet !! this week and wondering if i can really make this big move ......arrrgh do i dont i ??? life is too short to wonder !!

Martyn

I've moved to turkey!
well thats just what i wanted to hear all these positive comments !! Thankyou ! we are coming out in march and giving up a good business and leaving two boys at university. Just had a dose of cold feet !! this week and wondering if i can really make this big move ......arrrgh do i dont i ??? life is too short to wonder !!

If you don't you'll never know, just don't burn your bridges.

saffie

Saffie
I've moved to turkey!
Martyn is absolutely right.( In my humble opinion) :)

People thought I was stark staring bonkers to come here as a lone woman of not so tender years. I have known plenty of people over the last 10 years come and go and certainly,it's not for everyone. Heck if we were all the same life would be very boring eh? But unless you try these things you just don't know and could spend your twilight years constantly going through the " What if's?"

Living abroad is certainly a very different way of life and it suits me down to the ground,but others have found it tough going and missed too many familiar things to really settle into this new way of life.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket would be my advice. Even trying it out for a set period is quite different to actually doing it full time,so leave some options open and then just enjoy it. The first year here for me was like being on holiday with some rather odd and different irritations to contend with. Once you get used to a very different way of doing things and adopt a more relaxed attitude to some of the somewhat haphazard systems etc,you do learn to adapt and some of your priorities definitely do change.

I just love it.........and I hope you will do the same.

saffie

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I've moved to turkey!

I would advise to give it a go, it is good if as you sound to have some earnings/savings to live on, as we all know some, not all things are a lot cheaper there. I love the climate from April - November, and the winters aren't always so bad as ours here in the UK. Go for it, and I look forward to you write up when you do Alison.

Mag

I've moved to turkey!
Samimi,

Delighted it's working out for your both, and look forward to meeting you again next year.. keep us updated!

alisons

I've moved to turkey!
thanks for all your advice we shall be keeping our house in uk for now !! too many things have happened already to get to this point , it will all be in the book which we will have time to write next year !! its called .........?! all suggestions appreciated !!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom