Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
I have this irritating icon on my Win7 desktop that I can’t delete .. the ‘recycling’ message comes up and runs forever without deleting it. Same happens if I try to drag it into the recycle bin.

If I run ‘Properties’ the properties dialog box doesn’t come up.

I run CCleaner – still there.

It’s clearly some sort of corrupt PhotoImpact image file but if I try to open it in PhotoImpact it freezes the program.

Eeeek !
5ulrol.gif

Any ideas please?

juco

I've got a lurker!
Try changing the name of the file and then see if it will delete.

Also right click the file and run a virus check only on that file.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
Try changing the name of the file and then see if it will delete.

Also right click the file and run a virus check only on that file.

Let me introduce you to my lurker …
al3ka9.jpg

When I try to change the extension Explorer crashes.

I right click to scan …

wtxan5.jpg

It tells me that one item has been scanned but no report shows.

2bxjqt.jpg

There seems to be an email option so perhaps I could send it to someone I don’t like :)

oldfogy

Just passing through
I've got a lurker!
Providing you are sure it's not a system file, (which I think you have already decided it's not), then another way I have found of deleting stubborn files is:

Right-click on the desktop (in this instance) and select 'NEW' and then FOLDER, any name will do because you then drag the stubborn file into it, then delete the newly created folder (complete with the file).

I have found this works very well, but not on every occasion.

bickern

I've got a lurker!
Off Topic but try using a snide ESET anti virus that's in English. I am sure Pirate Bay could sort you out on that score. LOL

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
Providing you are sure it's not a system file, (which I think you have already decided it's not), then another way I have found of deleting stubborn files is:

Right-click on the desktop (in this instance) and select 'NEW' and then FOLDER, any name will do because you then drag the stubborn file into it, then delete the newly created folder (complete with the file).

I have found this works very well, but not on every occasion.

Thanks Oldfogy, a cunning plan but it comes up 'moving file' ad nauseum....

t8lzra.jpg

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
Off Topic but try using a snide ESET anti virus that's in English. I am sure Pirate Bay could sort you out on that score. LOL

Thanks, it's been a long day - I'll try it tomorrow.

Nite nite

oldfogy

Just passing through
I've got a lurker!
Unfortunately your unwanted file is on your desktop, because I had one once (actually also still got another one) but mine was and is on a separate partition so I moved everything else then formatted the partition, that got rid of it, and fairly soon I will be doing the same again for the file I have gained since, fortunately I know where mine came from, just can't understand why it will not let me delete it, even when trying to access it from one of my other networked computers or safe mode, but that's life or should I say that's computers for you.
(Yes drastic action but believe you me I had tried everything else)

Mmm, just a thought, does running System Restore get rid of it?

oldfogy

Just passing through
I've got a lurker!
I don't want to distract from Jaycey's dilemma so best not to go into my problem, except (and just to finish on) Juco, no not tried that on, will need to wait till I run my other PC to be able to follow the instructions, I forgot to say though, my faulty file is not on my PC but on a NAS DRIVE independent of any of my PC's and so far has resisted being deleted with either, XP, Vista and Win7 computers.

But as I say, 'I don't want to distract from Jaycey's dilemma so best not to go into my problem' but thanks.

stuart

stuart
I've got a lurker!
I had a problem a bit like that last week ....ended up taking it into my local computer repair man he said it was a virus and cleaned it all up for 30tl.... money well spent I think.

Akbuk Rob

I've got a lurker!
Have you plugged a camera into your machine. I suspect it may be a symbolic link to an image downloading application related to a camera.

Does the icon look familiar?

What if you open your desktop in file manager, is it there and can you delete it.
If its not there try showing hidden files.
Another thought, instead of using right click to delete try highlighting it and hit the delete key.

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
The only system restore point I can find is only two days ago so unfortunately that does not help.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
Have you plugged a camera into your machine. I suspect it may be a symbolic link to an image downloading application related to a camera.

Does the icon look familiar?

What if you open your desktop in file manager, is it there and can you delete it.
If its not there try showing hidden files.
Another thought, instead of using right click to delete try highlighting it and hit the delete key.

Yes, I download camera pics to my lappie.

The icon (pic on post #3) would indicate a (Photoimpact) image file.

REDDERS

I've got a lurker!
I had the same problem till 5 minutes ago. Searched everywhere to get rid of it. Then found this help window,so i copied & pasted for you....IT WORKED!!

To show or hide the Recycle Bin on the desktop.

Click the Start button , type, desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.

In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following:

To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box.

To show the Recycle Bin, select the Recycle Bin check box.

Click OK.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I've got a lurker!
287dus3.gif

I’ve been using the lappie on and off all day and I’m rather embarrassed to tell you that the little b#gger has gone walk about someplace.

Maybe it was the mention of anti virus software that scared it away.

But thank you all for your interest and assistance
9j402e.gif

Akbuk Rob

I've got a lurker!
A little tip.

Sometimes doing stuff with files, as in this case, can be problematic. If the file has somehow labelled itself as belonging to another user such as Root for example. The user may not have permission to delete, rename or move it.

Any Linux ISO contains its own operating system which can be booted into via a CD or USB, but once in that operating system you have access to the main Windows system and can do whatever you want with any file or folder in there. It is very easy to use this method, you can see all that's in there and have total control (use with caution).

Say for example your Windows (or whatever) wont boot and you have precious files on there which you need. No problem just boot with an ISO and copy them over to an external drive. Or that nasty file that just refuses to be deleted can be easily nuked.

The ISO does not need to be anything fancy, any tiny little operating system or Linux system tool will do the the job. Being prepared is the key especially if you only have one computer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom