enoch

I've got a big one!
Unfortunately it won't last very long before it collapses into a soft mushy mess (sound familiar? Anyone? ..... Anyone?)

Now let the "Mines bigger ........." lies begin!

View attachment 29827
The only ones I've seen bigger was at ulas beach on wast land., that's a grand specimen. I was going to have a closer look down the bank until I seen the snakes moving around.

Maisie

I've got a big one!
What plant is this? Does it 'flower' regularly? I asume that the spike is the flower.

Maisie

Last edited:

Spike

I've got a big one!
It's an agave plant Maisie. it only blooms once when 10 to 25 year old, then dies. As it decays into a pile of mush as I said, the stem falls over and all these little things at the top spread thousands of seeds for new plants. I planted this one about 16 years ago as a thumb-sized plant. Another one planted (read: stuck in the stony soil) at the same time bloomed a couple of years ago.

İf you go to Datça you will see loads of them at the beach restaurants festooned with lights. Not live ones - they cut them when they bloom. dry them and paint them. Very decorative and useful.

429nufc

I've got a big one!
I think it’s Agave Americana, we had one in the garden at Yalikavak , it did it’s flowering and died just before Covid
Its not native to Europe as per its name

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
I've got a big one!
Two near us have flowered this year. I did read that they only flower at 75 years or so and then die.

Maisie

I've got a big one!
Now I know what it is (thanks to all those who responded), I looked it up in Wiki.

Interesting plant. Also, it says that some plants have been known to take 60 years to flower!I So planted for a baby at birth, they could be nearly pensioners before they see the flowers.

I asked because this looked similar to a plant which grows next door. It is about 12-14 feet high, so not the same. Many years ago, we cut this down for the elderly lady who lived there. It was growing in a silly place, and she wanted it gone. Obviously, we didn't get all the root out.

The house was later split into two flats, and this plant grows at the bottom and to one side of a flight of stairs from upstairs. It now 'belongs' to the upstairs flat after garden division. There have been a successioon of people living there, and the current tenants are 'garden-blank'. I have seen the chap cutting forsythia back with an ordinary pair of scissors! Plonker!

Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom