KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
It's OK To Insult The Cornish But.........
Cornwall: It's OK to insult the Cornish because they don't exist, rules watchdog | Mail Online

The Cornish people were today told that no action can be taken against those who insult them because officially the Cornish do not exist as a nation.

The commission said it was powerless to prosecute anyone because, under the Race Relations Act, the Cornish did not exist as a separate nationality from the English.

Surely then, that must also apply to Gypsies, Negroes, Asians, Jews ? :hmm:

Gamuret

This is an interesting comment in The Western Morning News today:-

"The Cornish, Welsh of today are remenants of an ancient tribe. It's for certain that these ancient tribes that seperated from the European continent have been around since the Neolithic period. It's also clear that important documents and treaty's up until 18th century made a very clear and distinct reference to there being a distinction between Anglia and Cornubia and maps of the British Isles produced up until the 18th century often showed Cornwall as a distinct entity on par with the ancient Welsh celts and Wales. Let's also remember that 1549 was the Anglo-Cornish war, English and foreign mercenaries invaded Cornwall to take control of it's people and land for the betterment of the English Imperial state. English mercenaries killed 4,000 Cornish fighters in a bloody invasion against those ancient tribes who laid claim to Cornwall. We all have European descent in our blood, but ancient tribes developed the land long before the English even asserted themselves to what was to become England."

theres also an old law.which is still on the books..that you cant kill a Welshman on a Sunday..the rest of the week is fair game

mike and hilary

mike and hilary
Something that's sure to wind up the Cornish even more about their forced Anglicisation.
A few years ago you could buy a car sticker showing Emmet (Cornish for ant) for the English or Non-Emmet if you were Cornish. It was just a bit of harmless fun as some of the locals referred to the English tourists as just being like bloody ants crawling over everywhere during the season. Of course some busybody official thought this offensive to the English (and bad for business I suppose) and they were withdrawn. All people have to do is recognise that Cornwall is different - own language and customs - and respect that and I remember my dad's words if he thought that Cornwall was slighted in any way by an 'emmet' - 'An gof will get you pard'.

Mike

lara

Cornwall: It's OK to insult the Cornish because they don't exist, rules watchdog | Mail Online

The Cornish people were today told that no action can be taken against those who insult them because officially the Cornish do not exist as a nation.

The commission said it was powerless to prosecute anyone because, under the Race Relations Act, the Cornish did not exist as a separate nationality from the English.

Surely then, that must also apply to Gypsies, Negroes, Asians, Jews ? :hmm:

Who in this day and age says Negroes! I,m really disappointed.

lara

I think it's ok if you're a Spanish speaker :)

C

I really can't believe what im reading, racism is ugly and should'nt be defended.

I hope that if we have any members who are black that they are not offended by people's lack of awareness.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I really can't believe what im reading, racism is ugly and should'nt be defended.

I hope that if we have any members who are black that they are not offended by people's lack of awareness.

I think you need to do a little research... Negro means "black" in the Spanish, Portuguese and ancient Italian languages, being derived from the Latin word niger of the same meaning.

Also, in Spanish language countries such as Argentina, Chile and Cuba, negro (negra for females) is a word commonly usually used to refer to friends or people in general, and does not have a racist connotation.

In Portuguese, the socially accepted term nowadays is "negro" (literally "black", but also "dark"), while "preto" (which designates the color "black", specifically) usually is seen as a possible insult because of societal colour bias.

There was no defence in my post of the term as it was used in the first post - I even put a little smiley to indicate it was a lighthearted comment with regard to some latin languages.

I always believe it's important to be factual about things.

C

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Amongst some of the Westie guys i work with they have re claimed the word for themselves ( identity ) and use phrases such as " how you doin *niggre " , as a honky when affectionately hailed with the *niggre phrase by them i respond with " better than you white trash ". The usage is changing, mainly with the tone of voice. I am proud to say that amongst my co workers there is no overt racism, it is a very friendly place for all races and creeds to work.

Steve.

Last edited:

lara

Firstly im disappointed that you Bob would think its ok to use that word.

Ceemac, i didn't know Bob was Spanish.

Also there are some things that are just not defendable, and if you two can't see that then i truly feel for you both.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
First, my name ain't Bob !

Secondly, I'm not Spanish, I'm Cornish !

Thirdly, what word would you rather I use ?

Are you going to have a fit when you see the Negro biscuits on sale in shops out here?

thumb500_c182df11edb6dad5a2082fc3639eceed.jpg

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I object to being called an Emmet......... I am offended.....

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Not half as much as I'm offended by being called Bob, Emmet ! :lol:

Gamuret

To return to the subject matter of the thread , it is interesting to note that in the recent elections for the Cornwall Unitary Authority, Mebyon Kernow ( which describes itself as a "Progressive political party, campaigning for greater self-government for Cornwall"), gained three seats although unfortunately this repesented only 3.4% of the votes cast Interestingly, Labour did not gain a single seat!

It was not so many years ago that I recall seeing prominent graffiti saying "English Go Home" on places likes bridges or other places where it would achieve maximum impact. Local activists were concerned that an influx of English people would destroy the very fabric of their society.

Many years ago there was a scheme where a considerable number of people from London were encouraged to settle in a semi-rural area near Camborne/Redruth. Needless to say, it was an absolute disaster. Living in the country may be many a "townies" dream but the reality is somewhat different!!

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Firstly im disappointed that you Bob would think its ok to use that word.

Ceemac, i didn't know Bob was Spanish.

Also there are some things that are just not defendable, and if you two can't see that then i truly feel for you both.

Lara, you need to learn that when you're already in a hole, throw the shovel away :bump2:

I do appreciate you feeling for me though - I need all the support I can get.....

And Bob, shut up....

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom