GnD

It's Good To Say Thanks............
This forum is a superior site from which we all benefit to varying degrees, or we would not stay! As such we are freely able to donate directly to TLF and I do believe this has proved popular and is deserved.

My other point is that I have wasted money on private lessons and on numerous books etc for Turkish. Shirley often surpasses them all and gives us the colloquial/vernacular and takes her own time in which to prepare these for us all.

I feel that anyone who considers they benefit from her hard work, should be able to donate their chosen amount. I wondered who thought it would be a good idea and also whether or not Mushtaq would be happy to do so??

If nothing more Shirley can take her handsome son out for a true slap up meal WHEN he finally receives his good news.

I hope

1. Mushtaq think this is worthy of yet more work from him and does not mind the request
  2. Shirley is not furious with me.
  3. Absolutely anyone that has enjoyed her lessons supports this idea.
okay let's hope this is not read and left unanswered.

best intentions
Debbie

Mushtaq

Founding Member
I'm happy to setup something if there is requirement, all I need is a paypal account to send it to.

dalyansteve

I have no personal knowledge of what you are talking about, but I firmly beleive exemplary help or knowledge should be rewarded even if as you say just a nice meal out. I am one of the few who always tip, lesser amounts for ordinary service and greater for exemplary, this is how it should be. Unfortunately some people absolutely depend on tips to make a difference between existance and having a life and no I am not wealthy but perhaps better off than some.

GnD

I'm happy to setup something if there is requirement, all I need is a paypal account to send it to.

Thank you Mushtaq.

I have no personal knowledge of what you are talking about, but I firmly beleive exemplary help or knowledge should be rewarded even if as you say just a nice meal out. I am one of the few who always tip, lesser amounts for ordinary service and greater for exemplary, this is how it should be. Unfortunately some people absolutely depend on tips to make a difference between existance and having a life and no I am not wealthy but perhaps better off than some.

I agree.

Guz1

Good idea. Thanks, G&D, for thinking of it.

I would be interested but I think that at this time of year most people (including me) are concentrating less on lessons and more on holiday preparations. Might be best to get it up and running in time for the end of summer. A suggested amount would be helpful.

i dont know what to say. Debbie is really great and thoughtful..but..
first i love passing my knowledge on..its not perfect when i look back at some of the first ones 5 years ago i can see howling mistakes hah..i must get round to correcting them..but its the way ive taught myself.

payment for me would be if more of those that read my posts would say what they thought or what they would like.....this is payment for me....an acknowledgment of my bits and pieces and time is really all i want.

Guz1

Shirley,

Can only speak for myself here although I gather from their posts that some members are seriously into learning the language and really value your efforts.

For my own part, I read them and have great intentions to get back to the thread and then get distracted by some silly rubbish argument that will blow over in a day or two and nobody's opinion will change. My time would be better spent practicing your sentences. I'm going to get down to some serious learning in the Autumn. Meanwhile, I know the lessons are there on the forum and some of the words and grammar did get through to me. It's unlikely that I will ever get to Alanya to buy you a drink or treat you to dinner, so I'm grateful to Debbie for this suggestion.

Your language threads are part of what makes TLF special.

Now, do you think my Baskan will understand me when I say Yonetim Plani Istiyorum?

Reactions: GnD

GnD

payment for me would be if more of those that read my posts would say what they thought or what they would like.....this is payment for me....an acknowledgment of my bits and pieces and time is really all i want.

Shirley,

It's totally because you do not intend to gain anything and do it for free that's provoke's me to push this.

Hi Maria,

My timing may well be off approaching holiday time, but I do see many posting on Shirley's last lessons thanking her.

As to an amount that should remain to each individual's own choice/benefit level and no way should be indictated by anyone let alone me.

I think personally its the very least she deserves for the years of free lessons for us all on here.

Debbie

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Hi Debbie,

I for one am a person that has gained a LOT by Shirley's lessons, though lately I have not been doing a lot about it, so I would like to make a contribution to treat her on a good meal in one of those Turkish nightclubs ...... where they also put big baskets of fruit on your table (Shirley told me about it, I never got one)
Shirley, you don't have to see this as a payment, just a token of our gratitude and as a small gift, imagine taking Yuşuf out on our money.... great

But regarding the amount, I think it is better we keep it private, otherwise this might be a bit embarrasing
So, I'm in for it.......

GnD

Right I think there are enough to support this and give our Shirl a decent meal to say thanks, which I am certain she would just love.

I do not in any way want to distract from Pebble's cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the next step for those who have posted that wish to say thanks, as she is still supporting the new word a day keeping a watchful eye over us all. (I am slacking its been a busy week instructing help at long last for our tapu!! will do my bit asap, but it won't be anywhere near as good as Nadine's, mine can be for the real beginners.)

Debbie

Guz1

Thanks, Debbie, for thinking of this. My most recent visit to Turkey convinced me more than ever that not having even the rudiments of the language is a serious drawback. Time to apply myself and start reading through the old language threads. Maybe I won't be such a dork next time I visit a Turkish bank.

Count me in, and thanks again for thinking of this. I'd be chuffed to imagine Shirley raising a glass to us in one of Alanya's posh eateries.

GnD

Right FINALLY its up and running.

So all those who wanted to can now say their thanks to Shirley for the book and cd purchases that she has negated the need for due to her lessons.

Not sure the totals are working as I did mine and its still states £0.00 but maybe it updates overnight or hourly I guess we'll see.

Mushtaq has had to place the donate under his button you need to click the pull down to confirm its for Shirley! He will collect then forward to Val for her part in our shenanigans!

Many thanks to Mushtaq and to Val and Maria for their help with this as I don't like to fail.

If we can be prompt so as not to detract from Pebbles cause.

thanks all
Debbie

Debbie

Last edited:

Guz1

Thanks a million to Debbie, Val and Mushtaq for making this possible. Have done my bit. Thoughtful of you, Debbie, to consider any possible impact on Pebble's fund, but this being a one-off it should be ok. I'm just happy to have found a way of buying Shirley a drink without travelling all the way to Alanya.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom