TLF Admin

Administrator
It’s harvest season for daffodils in Izmir’s Karaburun

Despite the unusually warm weather in December and the pandemic, daffodil growers are scraping a living off the beautiful flowers.​

“The vendors ask me when the daffodil season will be over,” says Ali Zeybek, daffodil producer. “Because when daffodils are in season, all other flowers are eclipsed by their beauty and lovely fragrance, and the vendors cannot sell anything else,” he laughs.

The 43-year old daffodil producer says he has been working with the flowers ever since he was a boy, as his father, Halil Zeybek, has been a daffodil producer for 60 years. “He’s 80 now, and knows much more than I do about daffodils, but we are keeping him safe from harm at home,” Zeybek says of his father, referring to the coronavirus pandemic.

He reminds TRT World of the myth of Narcissus, the other name that daffodils are known as. In Greek mythology, Narcissus was a hunter who fell in love with his own reflection in a pond (or a well, according to Zeybek), and died there pining for himself, having rejected the advances of the nymph Echo. “After he died a flower sprouted in his spot, and that is the narcissus (daffodil) flower,” he says.

Daffodils, according to Zeybek, are harvested from November 15 until mid-February if the weather is suitably cold. “Daffodils love cold weather,” Zeybek says. “They take their time blossoming and remain budding and fragrant for a couple of weeks after picking.”

“But if it’s like this year, with the southwestern winds (lodos), then we get a smaller crop, and worse quality, too,” Zeybek tells TRT World. “The buds open quicker, the flowers don’t last – that’s when I get complaints from my vendors, and rightly so, too!”

He says that lately there has also been a disease ailing crops. “We change our boots when we come to the fields, in order not to infect the daffodils,” he explains, noting they are very cautious about protecting the daffodil crops.

96937_WhatsAppImage20210119at14_1611063774372.jpg

Read more here

Can't wait to see all the daffodils out in bloom in the UK. There are the odd ones out in flower here & there already.

It is such a shame that it sounds like a bad year for daffodils in Turkey. I hope that the cherry blossom fairs better.

Are daffodils easy to grow in your garden in the south of Turkey?

Camden

Don't pick these daffodils please...

SW Turkey: Locals cherish endangered sea daffodil

MUGLA, Turkey

The endangered sea daffodil in Turkey's southwestern province of Mugla is strictly forbidden to remove.

The fine of removing the endangered flora -- currently under the protection of World Union for Nature Conservation -- is more than $10,000.

The lily grows on Fener beach in the coastal Bodrum district, with local authorities having taken measures to protect it by surrounding its habitat with iron railings.

The fine for picking the lily was recently increased from 43,000 Turkish Liras ($8,358) to 60,000 Turkish Liras ($10,343).

Sea daffodils -- also known as "pancratium maritimum" in Latin -- bloom in warm weather across Fener Beach to the delight of those who admire its bright white blossom and delicate, fragile features.

Warning signs dot the beach where they thrive, to protect the rare plant from being plucked from its natural home.

enoch

Can't wait to see all the daffodils out in bloom in the UK. There are the odd ones out in flower here & there already.

It is such a shame that it sounds like a bad year for daffodils in Turkey. I hope that the cherry blossom fairs better.

Are daffodils easy to grow in your garden in the south of Turkey?
They are out in Alanya, but not so many.

shash

shash
Don't pick these daffodils please...

SW Turkey: Locals cherish endangered sea daffodil

MUGLA, Turkey

The endangered sea daffodil in Turkey's southwestern province of Mugla is strictly forbidden to remove.

The fine of removing the endangered flora -- currently under the protection of World Union for Nature Conservation -- is more than $10,000.

The lily grows on Fener beach in the coastal Bodrum district, with local authorities having taken measures to protect it by surrounding its habitat with iron railings.

The fine for picking the lily was recently increased from 43,000 Turkish Liras ($8,358) to 60,000 Turkish Liras ($10,343).

Sea daffodils -- also known as "pancratium maritimum" in Latin -- bloom in warm weather across Fener Beach to the delight of those who admire its bright white blossom and delicate, fragile features.

Warning signs dot the beach where they thrive, to protect the rare plant from being plucked from its natural home.

These sea daffodils are beautiful they grow on our beach. Not many of them but they are happy there. Stunning flower.

shash

shash
I have got one but I will have look through somewhere in the region of 3 thousand photos. I'll have look later when I can.
At least I know how to put a photo on here now 😂

Latest Posts

Top Bottom