Mag

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Hi Guys,

We are thinking of booking flights for the Feb '08 mid-term. Dublin-Istanbul-Bodrum, with Turkish Airlines. Can anyone recommend an hotel close by to the Airport, as our return trip involves an overnight stay.

Also, how easy is it to get from one terminal to another? We will have to change flights outbound also, and only have about 80 minutes between flights?

Any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Mag :)

magpie

magpie
Istanbul Hotels/Airport
We always stay in the Hali Hotel in Sultanahment-taxi in costs about 25-28ytl, or you can take a train and then tram for about 2.30ytl-bit of a drag if you have heavy cases. There is not much time between the flights -you will have to be nippy , but if you get your bags sent on rather than collect and check- in in Istanbul you will make it although maybe a bit rushed.

Mag

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Hi Magpie,

Thanks for that will check out the hotel. Good luck on Sunday by the way. Hope ye trash Kerry!! :splat:

magpie

magpie
Istanbul Hotels/Airport
With a bit of luck Cork will do it-I'm actually a Dub and was based in Cork for 6 months this year-have to change the registration when I move back next month!

loz3399

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
would it not be a better option to fly to manchester or gatwick and book flight from there direct to bodrum? you could get a hotel on airport? only a thought x

Mag

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Hi Loz,

Yes checking out that option also. There's not much difference in the cost it's just difficult to get flights for the dates we want. Mid-term is always very busy.

magpie

magpie
Istanbul Hotels/Airport
That's the only treason I'm up for Cork this time-after the Dublin-v- Kerry game -such a let down!. We were in Kusadasi for some of the earlier matches both hurling and football and couldn't get over the brilliant reception in Somewhere Else.

alison09400

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Hi Mag

My mum flies Dublin-Ist-Izmir with THY quite often. Flights from Ist to Izmir are a lot more frequent so maybe you should think about flying to Izmir and then getting a transfer to Bodrum; it would save an overnight stay at a hotel.

If your outgoing flight from Dublin is delayed you will automatically be put onto the next connecting flight.

Alison

Guz1

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
We have travelled Dublin-Istanbul-Izmir a few times with THY and it can be a tight squeeze to make the last flight to Izmir. Any delay in Dublin could mean you will miss it and have to stay overnight in Istanbul, as happened to some friends of ours last year. Although you can book your luggage straight through from Dublin, you don't automatically transfer from one flight to the another. There is a 20 minute walk between terminals and you have to check in for the Izmir flight. This can involve queueing, albeit a shorter queue if you don't have any luggage. I'm sure someone posted a link for hotels on another thread. I'll see if I can find it and, if so, will post it here. Lots of Istanbul hotels do airport transfers and you should be able to get a good deal in February.

alison09400

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
The Monday and Thursday flights out of Dublin to Istanbul leave before midday (around 11.10am) so you're booked on the 7pm flight down to Izmir.
Unfortunately Dublin airport can't print out the Boarding Cards for the Ist-Izmir flight and as Guz1 says, you have to check-in at Domestics albeit without your luggage.

Guz1

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Yes, the new Monday and Thursday flights leave Dublin in the morning which will make it a lot easier for catching connecting flights.

I thought I had saved the hotels link in my favourites but can't find it. Am a bit busy today but will see if I can find it later and will post it here. Maybe the member who posted it originally might do us a favour and post it again.

Unless you plan on spending a few days in Istanbul I can't see the point in travelling all the way into Sultanahmet. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Even with a tight schedule, Turkish Airlines is still the best way to travel.

Last edited:

biggles

biggles
Istanbul Hotels/Airport
i know a small hotel near gatwick [about 1 mile ] people go there stay the night and leave their car there in hotel grounds till they return and then spend another night there before driving home .

Guz1

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Mag,

I'm afraid I couldn't find the hotels link, but I did find this link to the Turkey Travel Planner website which might be of some help to you.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/ataturk_airport.html

I'm sure it is possible to manage the transfer between flights in 90 minutes but you would be depending on encountering little or no delays and you have to bear in mind that THY could give your Bodrum seat to a standby passenger if you haven't checked in on time, although there might not be much demand for seats in February.

Like Alison says, you would probably have a better choice of flights from Ist. to Izmir, but I wouldn't fancy the journey from Izmir to Turgutreis/Bodrum in bad weather, especially where the road skirts Bafa Lake. (Don't know whether they have upgraded that section of road yet).

Have a great trip.

Maria.

(P.S. If Turkey gets any more publicity in Ireland like the RTE programmes this week you could well have the plane all to yourself).

Mag

Istanbul Hotels/Airport
Thanks Maria,

That's very helpful. If we do travel in February, I think we may go via Gatwick or Manchester. At least we have a few options from Ireland now, out of season. A couple of years ago it was nearly impossible to get to Turkey before May of after October.

Yes I agree, that Turkish Wive's Club programmeme made me cringe!.

Regards
Mag

Latest Posts

Top Bottom