JanetClarke

JanetClarke
ISIS have entered Kobani
I have just seen on the BBC news a black ISIL flag flying on a prominent building in the east of Kobane, the image confirmed by the BBC reporter.
Meanwhile Turkish tanks are silent on the hills facing this beleaguered town.
The situation there looks to have got a whole lot worse.

ISIS have entered Kobani
I have just seen on the BBC news a black ISIL flag flying on a prominent building in the east of Kobane, the image confirmed by the BBC reporter.
Meanwhile Turkish tanks are silent on the hills facing this beleaguered town.
The situation there looks to have got a whole lot worse.

Can someone please explain to me why the Kurds are being left to fight for Kobane alone. Why is the 40 country coalition , including Turkey, not doing more to help either by providing weaponry or by strategic bombing to halt the ISIL advance? There are obvious politics involved here so maybe someone can enlighten me .

tosmur

ISIS have entered Kobani
The claim that ISIS are inside Kobane have been denied, apparently it was a mistake, they are still holding out a the moment.

Spurs

Spurs
ISIS have entered Kobani
Can someone please explain to me why the Kurds are being left to fight for Kobane alone. Why is the 40 country coalition , including Turkey, not doing more to help either by providing weaponry or by strategic bombing to halt the ISIL advance? There are obvious politics involved here so maybe someone can enlighten me .

NATO struggles to get agreements, so with 40 countries God knows how they will agree. Is it not a bit of same old same old, everyone knows what's needed but nobody wants the responsibility of doing it? Well not until the theatre of war has changed, by then its too late.

A very dangerous game Turkey is playing, they have the wolves at the door & they think that by hand feeding them, they will not bite them.......that don't work.
There is no appeasement for these people, just force on a massive scale. Turkey holds the key here & everyone knows it.

JanetClarke

JanetClarke
ISIS have entered Kobani
The claim that ISIS are inside Kobane have been denied, apparently it was a mistake, they are still holding out a the moment.
I have seen the flag flying on the BBC news. It's confirmed by the reporters from both the BBC, Reuters and other news agencies. I said this was on the east of Kobani not that the town had fallen but that the situation had got worse.
Which claim is a mistake?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
ISIS have entered Kobani

Despite what they say, Turkey does not want the Kurds to come out on top. If the Kurds "win" their next target will be a large portion of Turkey. If the Kurds lose then IS may target Turkey next. This the problem with Turkey´s position and it is not clear how they will play it to win - it looks like a lose-lose result to me.

Ian

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
ISIS have entered Kobani
For all those that were in favour of Scotland having independance, spare a thought to the kurds and their plight. Once this matter with ISIS is over with, Turkey along with Iraq and Syria need to resolve the Kurdish issue by granting them some kind of autonomous region.

Pete

tykatem

ISIS have entered Kobani

Basically it boils down to Turkey not wanting the kurds there.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...e-fighting-isis-terrorists-with-u-s-help.html

Kobani becomes battle for Kurds' future - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

UK sends Kurds £1.6 mn in arms to battle ISIS

?Outsourcing anti-terror: UK sends Kurds £1.6 mn in arms to battle ISIS ? RT UK

Germany to send Iraqi Kurds enough weapons for 4,000 fighters

Germany to send Iraqi Kurds enough weapons for 4,000 fighters | Reuters

Denmark Sending Arms to Kurdish Forces

Denmark Sending Arms to Kurdish Forces

Other European nations including the Italy, the Czech Republic and Albania

European Nations Donate Weapons to Kurdish Fighters | Defense News | defensenews.com

Pete

Last edited:

JanetClarke

JanetClarke
ISIS have entered Kobani
Also the Turkish government were looking for the overthrow of .Assad and ISIS could help facilitate this.

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
ISIS have entered Kobani

My take on it is.
The Turkish government doesn't want the Syrian border area turning into another autonomous Kurdish entity run by Syrian Kurdish PYD an affiliate of the PKK .
Just in case, once set up, there is a call for a united Kurdistan which could include parts of Turkey and support given to the PKK .

RTE is hoping that ISIS, who he has some sympathy for, both being Sunni , will stop that from happening and wipe out his opposition for him .

The problem is, he is supposedly in a Peace Process with the PKK, so if he does nothing to help the Kurds the PKK say the peace process can't continue.

And the politics in it is, he needs the Kurdish vote in Turkey for the 2015 election which he has recently pushed forward.
At the moment he only has 326 seats in Parliament and needs 330 so he can push through his New constitution.

So can't afford to lose his AKP seats in East, that depends on the Kurdish vote to win.

So a rock and a hard place comes to mind .

But RTE being a man of many faces has invited the PYD leader to Ankara, not to meet him, but only to talk to his intelligence agency, MIT, in supposedly secret talks.
Some reports say it is a divide and rule operation by the Turks, to divide the PKK from the PYD , and then influence the PYD. Some say it is just to get them to align themselves with the FSA.

RTE would like to see the fall of Assad, and would quite happily use Turkish troops with the backing of his Nato partners, but not at the cost of a Kurdish state being formed .
Hence his call for a buffer zone, so if ISIS did not do the job on the Kurds he could at least let the Turkish army go in to control the buffer zone, and stop any formation of a Kurdish autonomous area.

Some people might have some other insights but this is mine.

:speaknoev

JanetClarke

JanetClarke
ISIS have entered Kobani
Syrians Kurds push back ISIL from Kobane hill - Middle East - Al Jazeera
English

BBC News - Kobane: IS 'may soon take Syria-Turkey border town'

I don't know if there is any further news, but this is the latest I can find regarding Kobane, but it seems to be a fast moving situation.

Bill.
Bill,
I am no military tactician but if ISIS are grouped on this hill looking down on Kobani wouldn't they be a prime target for US air strikes on there? Just wondering where they are (US).
Now more Turkish forces massing on the border. Awful to think about which way this could go.

tykatem

ISIS have entered Kobani
But RTE being a man of many faces has invited the PYD leader to Ankara, not to meet him, but only to talk to his intelligence agency, MIT, in supposedly secret talks.
Some reports say it is a divide and rule operation by the Turks, to divide the PKK from the PYD , and then influence the PYD. Some say it is just to get them to align themselves with the FSA.

RTE would like to see the fall of Assad, and would quite happily use Turkish troops with the backing of his Nato partners, but not at the cost of a Kurdish state being formed .
Hence his call for a buffer zone, so if ISIS did not do the job on the Kurds he could at least let the Turkish army go in to control the buffer zone, and stop any formation of a Kurdish autonomous area.

Some people might have some other insights but this is mine.

:speaknoev

The YPG (military arm of the PYD), are one of the few forces on the ground capable of standing up to IS and the Turks want them to fight under the banner of a disorganized bunch of militias some of which they have fought against. It seems as though Turkey are only interested in fighting against Assad rather than IS.
The Turks really have not done themselves much good here, as ironically it would seem that YPG are already allied with FSA units fighting against IS in Kobane.

Ankara urges PYD leader to join ranks of Free Syrian Army against al-Assad - DIPLOMACY

Pete

Spurs

Spurs
ISIS have entered Kobani
An interesting comment made from that city under siege.

IS literally & currently have the higher ground BUT the Kurds are saying they will defeat IS on the ground in the streets, full of confidence & fair play to them. The Kurds know full well what's in store for them if IS succeed, nonetheless their plan has more substance to it than anybody else's. There will be one hell of a bloody battle & I hope they have been supplied well with arms.

ISIS have entered Kobani
My take on it is.

"RTE is hoping that ISIS, who he has some sympathy for, both being Sunni , will stop that from happening and wipe out his opposition for him"

Thanks for the interesting insight. I am puzzled tho' by RTE's sympathy for ISIS and the reasoning being their fellow Sunni status. There are some fellow Sunni regimes who are poles apart in their sympathies and allegiances. And it puzzles me how a keen/devout Islam follower like RTE can agree with or have sympathy with the barbaric methods being used by ISIS. The whole ME seems like an erupting cesspit of hatred and prejudice and I just cannot see where the reasoned mediation is going to come from. It is so depressing - and dangerous.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
ISIS have entered Kobani
An interesting comment made from that city under siege.

IS literally & currently have the higher ground BUT the Kurds are saying they will defeat IS on the ground in the streets, full of confidence & fair play to them. The Kurds know full well what's in store for them if IS succeed, nonetheless their plan has more substance to it than anybody else's. There will be one hell of a bloody battle & I hope they have been supplied well with arms.

Hope the Kurds kick their ass and slaughter them.
Whoops, that will upset Middleearth......:wow:

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
ISIS have entered Kobani
My take on it is.

"RTE is hoping that ISIS, who he has some sympathy for, both being Sunni , will stop that from happening and wipe out his opposition for him"

Thanks for the interesting insight. I am puzzled tho' by RTE's sympathy for ISIS and the reasoning being their fellow Sunni status. There are some fellow Sunni regimes who are poles apart in their sympathies and allegiances. And it puzzles me how a keen/devout Islam follower like RTE can agree with or have sympathy with the barbaric methods being used by ISIS. The whole ME seems like an erupting cesspit of hatred and prejudice and I just cannot see where the reasoned mediation is going to come from. It is so depressing - and dangerous.

Why I mentioned Sunni part is both would like to see a Sunni caliphate. What they disagree on is who should lead it and maybe how it should be established . I don't think RTE would go along with the barbaric methods but he is quite happy so far to stand back whilst someone else does ISIS. I agree dangerous.

Top Bottom