carolk

R.I.P
Is Water and Electric in you name?
Is Water and Electric in your name?

Hi

I just wondered how many people have the above utilities in their own name without having a Tapu.

It seems to be causing an awful lot of trouble for people. We are told we can't have them in our names without a Tapu/paperework - but I did, I got my Tapu three monts later.

Maybe we can try and figure out what the benefit is for - say the builder, not to put it in our names.

I feel there must be one or, it would be the of first thing done surely. Who wants to pay for somone elses Water and Elec?

Last edited:
We now have electric and water in our names-still waiting for tapu.
We did have to ask the builder several times,and were not impressed when he expected us to split the last bill with the only other person living in the block,who has air con on 24hrs a day................................well she did until she got her own meter,now she is more careful of what she uses.

We had our Tapu fairly quickly but got so fed up waiting for any of our contacts during purchase to go with us to sort out the water and electric,we asked where the buildings were,went down there and sorted it direct.
Sitting in an office trying to explain what we wanted for a few hours was worth it to get it done even if it used up 2 days of our break. It was still quicker than waiting for somebody to get around to it on the Turkey side. "Plenty of time no rush" was the response we kept getting and I strongly believe in the motto "If you want something doing,do it yourself".
Totally agree with Carol and Maria on the maintenance thread that this utilities switch business and builders behaviour in general re charges is getting stupid in the extreme.

carolk

R.I.P
Thats the sort of information I want Tel. So people being held to ransom can actually go themselves and get it changed, no need to wait for the builder eh!!! Great stuff, worth 2 days of anyones holiday I would say. :cheers:

Yes, people may have already paid the builder for this this but it is worth weighing up the cost. I dont know how much it is now to have them put in your name, mine was about 800tl, and the fact that the builder can tell/charge you anything he likes.

Last edited:

Guz1

We have a Tapu. We have mains water in our own name but pay sitesi electricity. Fairly sure that Biggles mentioned in an old thread something about sites having to pay for a suitable transformer before each owner can get electricity supply in their own name.

carolk

R.I.P
Thanks Maria, i'm sure thats right on a koop, ours was just changed recently to Tedas. Im more thinking of the poor souls who are on complexes etc. and just at the builders mercy for no reason. As Terry said, you can go yourself, maybe people dont know that, I didnt but, have not had a problem getting things in my name. It all helps.

Hi Paul
I agree with your last paragraph because you are going to have to visit or have some kind of contact eventually so the sooner the better!!!
We found at least one person in those offices that understood us and helped us.
Involving a translator etc all adds to the bill and when people talk about additional costs for the transfer of utilities quoting several hundred pounds I dont understand how these figures are arrived at!!
If there are no costs on personal visits(apart from the water bond) the builders etc must be raking it in. I would take someone there(if visiting!!) for say £25 for the hour and make a fortune and I cant speak Turkish!!.
The more people that get involved,the more they want their cut and the bill goes up!!

carolk

R.I.P
Yes this is the sort of thing I would like for us all to hear about - cutting out all the middle people!

I do think we need to take the plunge and start to sort things out for ourselves instead of just listening to someone who plucks a figure out of thin air, doubles it and tells you to pay. Yes it does take time and effort but, I believe its well worth it. Lets face it - what do we have to loose? - not money. That side of things have already been well taken care of for us!!!!

Jcrian has just put his costs on the Tapu and Maintenace thread which are a great help, nothing like the amounts people are being charged.

I was just wondering if someone could write in turkish (I cant only badly form a dictionary):

I would like my water/electricity connecting and putting in my name. I have all the relevant papers.

It could then be printed off for people to take with them. What do people think?

Last edited:

jcrian

Jcrian has just put his costs on the Tapu and Maintenace thread which are a great help, nothing like the amounts people are being charged.

Here they are again Carol with one I left out.....................

Last year in Koycegiz we had a new electricity connection which cost 109ytl

The water connection was 50ytl plus a 300ytl deposit

Our first water bill, which included filling the pool was for 65cu mts and was 69ytl

Our last electricity bill was 25 kurus and the meter reader had to climb over a 6' high wall to read the meter.It cost us 1.25ytl to pay the bill as 1ytl is added to go to charity.

carolk

R.I.P
Here they are again Carol with one I left out.....................

Last year in Koycegiz we had a new electricity connection which cost 109ytl

The water connection was 50ytl plus a 300ytl deposit

Our first water bill, which included filling the pool was for 65cu mts and was 69ytl

Our last electricity bill was 25 kurus and the meter reader had to climb over a 6' high wall to read the meter.It cost us 1.25ytl to pay the bill as 1ytl is added to go to charity.

Thanks Ian, thats great!

claire1976

If you don't have the tapu what relevant papers can you take? Would the sale contract be sufficient or do I need the builders permission before I can switch?

sunseeker

The day we took posession of our keys, which was to a property 10 year old at the time, the Emlac took us to the Tedas office in Bodrum and registered us as a Tennant because we had no Tapo at the time. We payed over something like 50ytl and with the papers provided we then were directed to Turgitreis to the little Tedas office next to
Migros. At this stage after lot of phoning by the guy behind the counter and a cup of tea we were waved out of the office with a smile. Wondering what was going on we returned to the house in Gumuskaya and to our amazement the seal was removed from the outside metre box and the power was on. That was 4 years ago suppose Tedas still thing we are tennants. Water was not a problem as that is provided by the sittesi

carolk

R.I.P
Re: Is Water and Electric in your name?

If you don't have the tapu what relevant papers can you take? Would the sale contract be sufficient or do I need the builders permission before I can switch?

Claire I cant anwser that. I would have thought the sales contract would be enough, plus your passport etc.
Going by Terry's post you dont need anyone elses permission to have your utilities in your name - unless there is some particular reason. Why dont you try it?

You can let us all know how you get on, it may just be that simple!!!

Last edited:

Hi Claire
We did the council tax registration bit first at Fethiye council offices because the council officer had to stamp and initial a part of the water application form.
We took our copy Tapu for everything but I have no knowledge of how it works without a tapu,sorry.
As we needed the Tapu for the council tax obviously,presumably the water office would have queried why no council authority stamp on their form. Tedas(Electric) didnt seem that bothered about the tapu but we took it anyway.
Perhaps as Sunseeker said you can only register on the electric purely as a tenant without the Tapu and certainly you need that council stamp authority for the water which is reliant on the Tapu again.
Sorry cant be more help but we did tax codes,council tax registration,electricity and finally water(with copies of Tapu in hand)

Carolk
As regards the letter for all three trips would the following be any good in Turkish

Perhaps it could be like a letter

Dear sirs

Heading- property address

We have recently purchased the above property via X agent or Y builder and wish to change the water/electricity contract into our names as the new owners and/or register and pay for our Bedeleye council tax on the property up to date.

We have the necessary paperwork i.e passport copies,tax codes and copy Tapu(Essential for council tax) to effect this change and please would you help us during this personal visit to your offices.
Please would you advise us if you need anything else from us during this visit.

Thank you

Any good??
We did the council tax,water and electric during a weeks break without involving our agents at all.

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P

Hi Claire
We did the council tax registration bit first at Fethiye council offices because the council officer had to stamp and initial a part of the water application form.
We took our copy Tapu for everything but I have no knowledge of how it works without a tapu,sorry.
As we needed the Tapu for the council tax obviously,presumably the water office would have queried why no council authority stamp on their form. Tedas(Electric) didnt seem that bothered about the tapu but we took it anyway.
Perhaps as Sunseeker said you can only register on the electric purely as a tenant without the Tapu and certainly you need that council stamp authority for the water which is reliant on the Tapu again.
Sorry cant be more help but we did tax codes,council tax registration,electricity and finally water(with copies of Tapu in hand)

Carolk
As regards the letter for all three trips would the following be any good in Turkish

Perhaps it could be like a letter

Dear sirs

Heading- property address

We have recently purchased the above property via X agent or Y builder and wish to change the water/electricity contract into our names as the new owners and/or register and pay for our Bedeleye council tax on the property up to date.

We have the necessary paperwork i.e passport copies,tax codes and copy Tapu(Essential for council tax) to effect this change and please would you help us during this personal visit to your offices.
Please would you advise us if you need anything else from us during this visit.
Thank you

Any good??
We did the council tax,water and electric during a weeks break without involving our agents at all.

I think thats great Terry. Maybe someone would be kind enough to translate it for people to print off.

Rio

Rio
Like Claire i would also be interested to know what paperwork is needed to have the electric and water put into our own name. We don't have our Tapu yet either. Can anyone advise?

Rio

carolk

R.I.P
It would seem that no one is interested in translating Terry's letter for members to just print off. I will see if I can have it done on Friday.

lynne

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.............
In Bodrum I am almost certain you cannot get electricity in your name without taking the deeds/tapu with you.
Been on behalf of a client (he is ill and cant get to Turkey) with his tapu & copy of his passport, plus took the builder of the property with me, and not able to change it on the clients behalf.
Got round it by getting rental agreement from stationers and now the electric bills come in my name and I pay them on behalf of client !
Dont know if I should admit this next bit .............:37:
Did manage to get another clients name on his electric bill.........he had same surname as me ! (I took my passport & his deeds and said I was his wife and that I was on holiday alone with our 2 small children ) !!
Lynne

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.............
In Bodrum I am almost certain you cannot get electricity in your name without taking the deeds/tapu with you.
Been on behalf of a client (he is ill and cant get to Turkey) with his tapu & copy of his passport, plus took the builder of the property with me, and not able to change it on the clients behalf.
Got round it by getting rental agreement from stationers and now the electric bills come in my name and I pay them on behalf of client !
Dont know if I should admit this next bit .............:37:
Did manage to get another clients name on his electric bill.........he had same surname as me ! (I took my passport & his deeds and said I was his wife and that I was on holiday alone with our 2 small children ) !!
Lynne

I can see why you have a very good reputation on this forum Lynne. You are very kind and helpful. :rockon:

panther

Carolk: was the 69ytl for your water and pool at builders or domestic rates please.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom