Is Turkey this "unfriendly"?
Hürriyet - -Unneighborliness in neighborhoods

Most of the towns mentioned in this article are in the centre and east of the country. It certainly doesn't reflect my experience. However my wife says she is not surprised and that many Turkish people are very conservative (with a small c).

I was wondering whether anybody in the more touristic areas to the west has experienced this level of intolerence?

geordie_nev

Hi Joe

There was an article and debate/comments on Jenny White’s excellent blog.

Kamil Pasha Survey Documents High Levels Of Intolerance, Conservatism, And Fear Of Outsiders

Apparently 81% believe the EU’s ultimate goal is to spread Christianity and 76% believe that both the US and the EU are trying to divide Turkey.

Here are the reports findings on EU and Threat to Turkey:

69% believe Islamic extremism is a threat to Turkey.
81% believe that actions and thoughts against democracy were a serious threat to Turkey
57% would like to see Turkey as a member of the EU
but 81% believe the EU’s ultimate goal is to spread Christianity
76% believe the EU is trying to divide Turkey
76% believe the US is trying to divide Turkey

Last edited:
76% believe that both the US and the EU are trying to divide Turkey.

My Wife is firmly of the belief that the US has a long term plan to create a puppet state of Kurdistan in the East of Turkey and a Europeanised buffer "model-muslim" state in the West.

I generally belong to the cock up theory of history rather than the conspiracy theory but this would not be a big surprise!

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
"Thirty-six percent said they do not want neighbors whose daughters wear shorts"

At least I'm in the majority then:roundgrin

Akasya

Postless Pointer
My Wife is firmly of the belief that the US has a long term plan to create a puppet state of Kurdistan in the East of Turkey and a Europeanised buffer "model-muslim" state in the West.

I generally belong to the cock up theory of history rather than the conspiracy theory but this would not be a big surprise!

So your good Lady is particularly astute. Would she like to share her well considered opinions, it is difficult to get a " local " perspective.

Thanks, Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom