baggywrinkles

Baggywrinkles
Is there any truth
Is there any truth that a single parent cannot bring two children on a Thomas Cooke flight? I have heard that a daughter came out with her mother and the two grandchildren. To return to the UK ( as her mother was not returning) her husband had to fly out to be able to fly the two children back with his wife.

Martyn

Is there any truth
Not heard of that. I know the airport security look out for what appear non associated families. i.e the woman and her two children would have the same surname but the grandmother probably wouldn't so they would ask questions on the return trip.

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Is there any truth
This may happen if both children were under 2 and neither could have a seat on their own, e.g. on Easyjet this happened to a woman with twins under the age of 2. She was not allowed to travel with them on her own as each needed a lap to sit on. They would not allow the woman to ask anyone else to hold either of the children as they would be strangers to that child.

Sally

Is there any truth
my sister inlaw had to go to the airport when her mother took my neice home to explain that she was the childs granmother but the child was under 2 that was about 3 years ago..:dooh:

Martyn

Is there any truth
That's the version I heard. I've flown on my own with our 2 eldest kids and never had any problem.

But don't you have the same surname? We flew back last year from Bodrum to gatwick and someone asked us if their 15 yr old son could travel with us. We agreed(father was meeting him at Gatwick) but at Gatwick they picked up on the surname difference and asked all sorts of questions. We were delayed while they made phone calls to verify.

aitchij

aitch
Is there any truth
The name issue is not a problem with thomas cook. A parent can travel with kids that dont have the same surname, you may have to expect a few questions at the airport but that is the staff being careful about kids being removed from the country, not airline policy.
When Charlottes boyfriend came with us to Turkey last year. he was 15 his mum gave me a letter explaining that he was travelling with us and that I had full responsibilty for him and that I could authorise and medical treatment required.
We will have the same done this year when her friend comes with us. and would suggest
anyone taking someone elses child to do the same.
Before Charlotte got her own passport and was just named on mine. the airport staff often asked questions directly her, do you know your date of birth or how do you pronounce your middle name.

Years ago one of the carribean countries may have been Barbados or Jamacia , insisted
that if a child was traveling into the country with only 1 parent that they brought a affidavite done by a solicitor. to prove the other parent gave consent for the child to travel to that counrty.

The 2 infant situation would be a problem for most airlines as even if you paid for a seat for them which you can do. they have to be on your knee ofr take off and landing.

aitchij

aitch
Is there any truth
But don't you have the same surname? We flew back last year from Bodrum to gatwick and someone asked us if their 15 yr old son could travel with us. We agreed(father was meeting him at Gatwick) but at Gatwick they picked up on the surname difference and asked all sorts of questions. We were delayed while they made phone calls to verify.

Hi Martyn
I take it this boy was not on the same booking ref as your family. That may be what made them take notice Gail

red

Is there any truth
I have travelled with my children over the years as a single parent a married woman and 'blended ' family. I expect spyrolgal has it - check if it is an infant issue.

My family isn't the norm, my two eldest are half chinese but have the same surname as me, my two youngest don't have the same surname one looks like me one looks like his dad, fortunately the one that doesn't have neither mine or my fella's name (as he isn't the father) looks like me. My step son (child No 4 of 5) has the same name as his dad but doesnt look like me but looks like his dad. The baby (ours) now 4 looks nothing like his 6 month old photo!

When we all travel togther there has never been a problem, as the mixed up family is as it appears, I don't blame airport staff for making sure kids are with who they should be with!

oh and yes - edit - I am asked dates of birth at passport control

Last edited:

aitchij

aitch
Is there any truth
They may just have been on the ball
It makes a change from the woman had been given the wrong passport back when she left the hotel and travelled from Bodrum back to uk and home without anyone noticing.

Is there any truth
Last year I returned home with my 30 year old son and a couple of friends, I picked up the mans passport at the desk, I'm blonde, he's male with dark hair and a moustache, the passport control helooked at the photo then me, I said 'yes my chair's changed and I am now younger, he stamped the passport then John said 'oh I think you have my passport' the security man just laughed and waved me through with John's passport.I was really a nnoyed as I had had a shave that day!

red

Is there any truth
Last year I returned home with my 30 year old son and a couple of friends, I picked up the mans passport at the desk, I'm blonde, he's male with dark hair and a moustache, the passport control helooked at the photo then me, I said 'yes my chair's changed and I am now younger, he stamped the passport then John said 'oh I think you have my passport' the security man just laughed and waved me through with John's passport.I was really a nnoyed as I had had a shave that day!

so funny LOL I spit me drink out!!!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom