hayabusa

Is all food in Turkey halal?
I have been reading this post with interest and Was concerned to seek the slaughterhouse video, this is appalling and cannot be counted as Halal.

I think the Turkish authorities should start to inspect and fine the slaughterhouses who do not do it in the Islamic way. The local Imams should also visit and advise these slaughter houses.

When Halal is performed its shoud be with minimal distress to the animal and hence when the knife is drawn it should be done in one stroke and not several strokes.

GBH1962

I think the poster needs to go and spend a day at a slaughterhouse it's not for the faint hearted and perhaps he should think about the welfare of the animals and what's best for them rather than religion

Chasey

Animal welfare is often quoted for the non halal method of slaughter, im not convinced. It seems to be a faster through put than halal/kosher slaughter, its a production line so minutes count, imho I reckon this is the main reason for non halal methods.

They string the animal up by its feet hanging head down and it runs on a conveyor belt up to a person who cuts its throat possibly cleanly, possibly not.

Halal is totally outdated and unable to cope with modern demand. In a very small operation, it could no doubt be considered humane, but it doesn't scale-up

Pure religious dogma for the sake of long since defunct health issues.

The main methods for slaughter are a bolt gun to the head and sometimes stunning with electricity prior to a bolt gun to the head. Again the animals are pushed into a 1 animal corridor and forced forward slowly to its death. It is not pretty and not for the faint of heart to watch

Chasey

I have been reading this post with interest and Was concerned to seek the slaughterhouse video, this is appalling and cannot be counted as Halal.

I think the Turkish authorities should start to inspect and fine the slaughterhouses who do not do it in the Islamic way. The local Imams should also visit and advise these slaughter houses.

When Halal is performed its shoud be with minimal distress to the animal and hence when the knife is drawn it should be done in one stroke and not several strokes.

Spoken like someone who's has never tried to cut an animals throat.

I made the mistake of trying it on deer which are a LOT smaller than a cow, and its not easy

Lantra who teach the humane dispatch of wild animals, put dispatch pistols rifles and shotguns first, then bashing its head in with something substantial like a club hammer.

Throat cutting is not considered a safe or humane method

Chasey

Well, I am asking this since I am living in Ankara, and I want to know if what I eat is fit for consumption as per Islam.
Surely your Imam at the local mosque could offer better guidance than a forum like this?

mollag

Kipper restorer
All beasts are bled out whilst alive and their heart pumping, the bolt gun makes them easier and faster to through put.
Religious slaughter is indeed outdated and uneconomical, the snag is, this includes Kosher slaughter for the Judaic market, which, these days can land you with an "Antisemetic" hat :(

Hilsjw

There's enough halal meat in for sale in Worthing these days !! It used to be banned in the U.K. but no longer. I wonder why.

Chasey

There's enough halal meat in for sale in Worthing these days !! It used to be banned in the U.K. but no longer. I wonder why.

Halal and Kosha meet has NEVER been banned in the UK and is unlikely to ever be banned.

Some of our own bad practices have been banned like Viel and Fwa Grass but never the religious slaughter of meat. In THEORY it is illegal to sell Halal meat to a non-Muslim as the justification for allowing Halal slaughter is only on religious grounds but there is no statute to enforce this as without ID cards being statuary and disclosure of your religion being statutory, you couldn't possibly enforce it.

Our main defense against non Muslim non-Jewish people buying religiously slaughtered meat is, its so damed expensive.

Hilsjw

Honestly, I've always thought Halal was banned years ago. Sorry, I was wrong, I guess.

Chasey

Honestly, I've always thought Halal was banned years ago. Sorry, I was wrong, I guess.

No problem

There are a LOT of animal rights activists trying to ban it, but religious freedoms come first.

I used to live in Crystal Palace and Thornton Heath High street had 3-4 Halal butchers to serve the local community.

Kanga

I wont buy meat in costco because it's about 95% halal (all labelled) but the population is certainly not 95% muslem/jewish.

mollag

Kipper restorer
We had a local chippy [IOM<]with a young Muslim owner, he had a small separate deep frier for cooking sausages, I asked if he was following Halal, he said not really but cooking sausage in with fish doesnt seem right, I could only agree. Halal , Kosher, I could care less, and I have seen "Humane" christian slaughter houses in operation, There was nothing humane about any part of the process that i could see. :(

Camden

97% of cattle slaughtered using Halal methods in the UK were stunned first before rites according to the RSPCA.

I have been told most of our UK takeaways use Halal meat .. McD's , Nando's KFC, Domino's and Subway all use Halal meat though the restaurants aren't certified ..

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
In the 70s as a youngster I was roped to to assist a fully skilled sparkie doing a foreigner in a large abattoir in Mancunia, A violent and not a pleasant experience, I also later worked at a Turkey farm where the auto stunning kit failed, that wasn't great either, neither was Halal.

GBH1962

All methods do need to be improved but with religion they're stuck in a long distance past with little respect for improvements in any subject

Chasey

97% of cattle slaughtered using Halal methods in the UK were stunned first before rites according to the RSPCA.

I have been told most of our UK takeaways use Halal meat .. McD's , Nando's KFC, Domino's and Subway all use Halal meat though the restaurants aren't certified ..

McDonalds UK do not certify any of their products as Halal and the products they did suggest were suitable are vegetarian. Whilst there was an experiment to introduce Halal in high Muslim populated areas (Like Bradford) they decided it was not possible to conform with Halal across the board

I struggle to see how Subway for example could conform due to cross-contamination issues but apparently 202 0f their over 2000 outlets offer Halal?

Dominoes apparently source some of their Chicken from Thailand and it is by default Halal but only for Halal certification that accepts stunned animals. However, as ll of its products are not sourced this way and because they have no separation in the production of pork-based products, they are not certified as halal

KFC is again only recognized as Halal by certification boards who accept stunned animals

The point is the process for slaughter of chickens is the same regardless of Halal considerations. They are suspended (alive) by their feet and then stunned by electric shock or asphyxiation using C02 (That popular green house gas) then their throats are cut. Nothing to do with halal, that's just a happy coincidence

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I suspect the pork on sale online is not Halal irrespective of how the pig is killed.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom