geordie_nev

Iran
How are the protests in Iran being reported in Turkey? Whats the general feeling in Turkey about the situation in Iran?

All sort of unconfirmed reports on BBC Radio 5 live; Twitter and various other online news feeds suggest that some elements of both the media and the military are now starting to switch sides.

I hope the whole thing doesn’t turn into another “Tiananmen Square”.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | 'Mass opposition rally' in Tehran

Last edited:
Iran
i dont think there will be a recount of the votes.
People are cynical about the logistics of the number of the turnout..85% ..yet when Ahmadinejad got control 4 years ago there was only a turnout of 60%..and this time the opposition ran a good campaign.İts also suspicious that the votes were counted very quickly and Mr. Mousavi the opposition leader lost in his own area..where he is supposedly popular.
Whatever happens i think Iran will be stuck with the present regime for at least the next four years.

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Iran
Mr Mousavis track record doesnt exactly make him Martin Luther King

I think yet again, will the West NEVER learn and keep out of internal matters in whats broadly known as the Muslim countries.

God knows Western meddling has cost more harm and lives than any good in every place they have stuck their oar in.

Indeed one only had to watch last nights dispatches programme to confirm the indiscriminate/deliberate targeting of civilians en-masse by the coalition forces in Afghanistan to see why the average person on the ground in these countries do not want western involvement

Last edited:

geordie_nev

Iran
Some say the recount is a stalling tactic so the security forces can get organised for a crackdown. In any case a lot of the voting papers have been destroyed.

Unfortunately to whole thing seems to be snowballing towards either greater repression or revolution, as protesters are starting to even ignore the opposition party to stay off the streets.

You can get a live feed on the The huffington post, but please be warned some of the video content is pretty graphic/horrific.

Iran Updates (VIDEO): Live-Blogging The Uprising

Iran
Hi Phillip..i must admit i know very litle about Mr Mousavis..do you think theres a Western finger in the pie..(of course there is)

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Iran
From a US perspective Iran would probably be the hardest nut to crack. Anyone who does not consider there may be external influences at work is naive in the extreme.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Iran

I think yet again, will the West NEVER learn and keep out of internal matters in whats broadly known as the Muslim countries.

God knows Western meddling has cost more harm and lives than any good in every place they have stuck their oar in.

Indeed one only had to watch last nights dispatches programme to confirm the indiscriminate/deliberate targeting of civilians en-masse by the coalition forces in Afghanistan to see why the average person on the ground in these countries do not want western involvement

I once had an employee that worked for me that always bitched about this and that....I told them come to me with your solution and we can look at it. So what your solution then Philip, you hate the Americans, wonder what your accent would have been if they didn't "StICK THEIR OARS" into the UK when it asked them for help with $$$

Biker Bob

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Iran

I once had an employee that worked for me that always bitched about this and that....I told them come to me with your solution and we can look at it. So what your solution then Philip, you hate the Americans, wonder what your accent would have been if they didn't "STICK THEIR OARS" into the UK when it asked them for help with $$$

Biker Bob

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Iran
Bob

I have no gripe whatsoever with the US citizens or indeed how they wish to govern their country and run their affairs. Have visted the US more than a dozen times and found the locals excellent.

What I do object to is the US or any other power not only meddling in another countries affairs but also exploiting that countiries issues selfishly for their own ends.

It doesnt take a genius to spot when such meddling occurs/is about to occur nor to see that it will all end in tears usually for the innocents

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Iran
Bob

I have no gripe whatsoever with the US citizens or indeed how they wish to govern their country and run their affairs. Have visted the US more than a dozen times and found the locals excellent.

What I do object to is the US or any other power not only meddling in another countries affairs but also exploiting that countiries issues selfishly for their own ends.

It doesnt take a genius to spot when such meddling occurs/is about to occur nor to see that it will all end in tears usually for the innocents

I understand what your saying but do you thinking fighting WORLD terrorists in Afganastan is meddling? The taliban are not just Americas enemy but America is doing far more then their share to stop them and protect the world. What advantage is it for America to fight the taliban?

Biker Bob

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Iran
If only it was that simple Bob!

The US and other invaders are slaughtering many innocents in Afghanistan (according to both the UN and the Afghan puppet government=US ally). This in turn alienates opinion against the West even more

Everyone and their dog know sthat there will be no victory in Afghanistan indeed in many parts already, where the US has stated they have ended fighting with the Taliban, its not because they have defeated them, but come to an agreement with them to allow them to govern that area!

My point is quite simple. Jingoistic imperialist invasions of less powerful countries just dont work anymore. This is the 21st century not the 18th and such ill advised adventures invarably bring more instability to the region concerned not less. Indeed its intresting that in recent polls US citizens have stated that Bushs wrecless adventures have made the US more likely to be attacked not less.

If the West could just learn one lesson.....Many in the countries that make up "the Muslim world" do not want what the US call democracy. Period. End off.

My view is the West should steer well clear.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom