SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
'Iran is our friend,' says Turkish PM
Really makes you wonder. Don't think I like the way the cards could very possibly unfold.

Biker Bob

zozatky

My train of thinking to .
My other half has in the back of there mind that one day they will turn round & say Yabaci out . I say not until they have all our Para..

If they throw yabanci out (as you suggest) then they lose foreign investment and their tourist industry. Even this government surely are not that crazy. All this rhetoric you read is nothing but political posturing to make Turkey attractive to Arab investors.

PS: Wonder why you are all living here anyway? This is a Muslim country, secular constitution or not, and Islam will understandably influence the culture and politics here. Surely you should have taken this into account before deciding to emigrate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
PS: Wonder why you are all living here anyway? This is a Muslim country, secular constitution or not, and Islam will understandably influence the culture and politics here. Surely you should have taken this into account before deciding to emigrate?

Agreed, doesn,t give me a problem.

zozatky

GB & Turkey are both secular Countrys, I thought this meant that the goverment was not a particular religon IE Muslim or Christian & that the population was free to follow whatever religon it wanted is this the case.?

We came to Turkey because we thought it was a secular state.

over 99% of the population in Turkey are Muslim. The majority are Sunni Muslim about 80 85% the next biggest group are Alevi.
Christians... Orthodox Greek and Armenian and Roman Catholics plus Jews are a small minority ..mostly their communities are in Eastern Turkey in Hatay and the Mardin area.
mhe present government is İslamist and both the President and the Prime Minister are devout Muslims.
Mr Erdoğan has said that one of the things the West has brought to Turkey is decadence

zozatky

over 99% of the population in Turkey are Muslim. The majority are Sunni Muslim about 80 85% the next biggest group are Alevi.
Christians... Orthodox Greek and Armenian and Roman Catholics plus Jews are a small minority ..mostly their communities are in Eastern Turkey in Hatay and the Mardin area.
mhe present government is İslamist and both the President and the Prime Minister are devout Muslims.
Mr Erdoğan has said that one of the things the West has brought to Turkey is decadence

Hes right but If he wants western capital investment he has to accept a certain degree of decedence..

I would like to know. I mean a friend would like to know more about this decadence and where to find it as there doesnt appear to be much of it in Uzumlu
hah..yes a knees up now and then does us all a bit of good.

İ do think though that 'green' money from Saudi and other Arab states is fueling and shoring up Turkey.
Theres also the following in the pipeline..turkey already takes a massive amount of natural gas from İran..for the West..and plans massive investment there..Turkish money not Western investment.

Nicosia, Oct 25 : Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yilldiz has said that his country plans to go ahead with its 3.5 billion dollars natural gas development of phases 22,23 and 24 in Iran's South Pars gasfield.

Yildiz was quoted by Tehran Times as saying that Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Recep Erdogan would discuss the matter further during his forthcoming trip to Tehran.

jaimie

It seems to me, that because Turkey has effectively been given the cold shoulder by the EU, they are going to go and find people wherever they are who will help them. The EU states that have stated they do not want turkey as a part of the EU have very effectively played right into the hands of an Islamic PM and President who were just looking for such an excuse to look East rather than West, one doesn't have to be mystic Meg to see that this is all going to end in tears unless the EU does some serious backtracking and fast! As for the PM's comment about decadence, that's a nice little catch line to get every extremist in the country nicely fired up, thing is I have a nasty feeling it's working :45:

It seems to me, that because Turkey has effectively been given the cold shoulder by the EU, they are going to go and find people wherever they are who will help them. The EU states that have stated they do not want turkey as a part of the EU have very effectively played right into the hands of an Islamic PM and President who were just looking for such an excuse to look East rather than West, one doesn't have to be mystic Meg to see that this is all going to end in tears unless the EU does some serious backtracking and fast! As for the PM's comment about decadence, that's a nice little catch line to get every extremist in the country nicely fired up, thing is I have a nasty feeling it's working :45:

So true Jaimie..except for the part it will all end in tears..unless you mean for europe..i believe Turkey in the long run will be better off looking Eastwards

jaimie

Def Europe (and us) Shirley....I wonder how we would fare in an Islamic, as opposed to a secular county? :jaw:

Aleynasdad

With a nod in the direction of Shirley..... I think Erdogan has lost the plot a little in recent years. I am concerned about the comments but not afraid of Turkey becoming an Islamist country. For that to happen there would have to be a revolution and I really dont think that is very likely to happen..... basically the İzmir region would have to be ethnically cleansed...

oops where am I living....

Aleynasdad

Fine Shirley Expecting another little one, had soem finacial probs whichw e sorted out and helath holding so all in all not bad. You?

Where we differed is that I thought Erdogan was originally actually trying to align Turkey with the West. Certainly I agree he's not doing that now.... the reason why we will probably disagree on.

What I think we will agree on is that we want a real option to AKP and right now there isnt one. CHP in power will just send us back to old school politics and the rerun of the nineties.

Oh for a REAL social democrat party!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom