Should new members introduce themselves first?

• Yes, you should introduce yourself

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • No it's not really necessary

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Dont care, really not bothered

Votes: 64 29.1%

• Total voters

maggie

Introductions?
Well I personally do think its polite to give a bit of background about one self before starting to post .

It helps to know a bit about fellow members.

Hugs Maggie xx

Introductions?
Whilst introductions can be helpful to some people, does it really matter who the person is, how many kids he's got, what their likes and dislikes are, provided that the person has something to give to the forum and the debate.

As we all know, the anonymity of the internet is such that a person can introduce themselves as one thing and can be totally different in reality. Internet chat rooms have proved that beyond any doubt in the past.

This of course also applies in person in a foreign country where people have never met you before and dont know your background. As a friend of mine says "I have never met so many ex-SAS soldiers, helicopter pilots, company chief execs etc since I moved to Turkey, yet there's very few ex-dustbinmen."

As somebody else said, "You can be who who want to be here, because nobody knows any different."

Martyn

Introductions?
I agree with Maggie on this. On the one hand we are all adults and shouldn't have to but on the other hand we get people steaming in giving out all sorts of advice and turn out to have business interests. In my opinion most people who join have been lurking for a while and are more than just first time forum users. An introduction is a good idea, in fact I think it should be a rule and make our job easier.:smile: I have seen on another forum if someone new makes a post without an introduction their post is left but a message is added to introduce themself the introduction forum.

Guz1

Introductions?
Good post from Villabaris. I'm not that bothered about introductions except when newbies try to sell us something in their first few posts. When I first started using forums it never occurred to me that I should introduce myself....I thought that everyone just turned up and started posting.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Introductions?
I don't think you need to give your family history though. It's just courteous and you could say something like 'Hello my name's Ceemac and I've joined here because I'm thinking of buying a place in Turkey and would like to find some out information about the place etc'

Very little has been said there yet it will get a positive response and ensure you can contribute without inviting adverse comment :smile:

C

Last edited:

Martyn

Introductions?
Yes Ceemac that sort of thing. Not the whole chapter and verse. CT I always introduce myself in a pub, it's good manners :smile:

bickern

Introductions?
and just how is the newbie supposed to know to introduce themselves, yes you could stick it in a welcome message but they may not read it.

Guz1 - "When I first started using forums it never occurred to me that I should introduce myself....I thought that everyone just turned up and started posting."

So do most people, including me and I don't bother introducing myself most of the time because I don't see why anyone should know my bio before I can comment on something.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Introductions?
Rightly or wrongly, I always imagine that I'm discussing something with someone on here, and if a complete stranger suddenly poked their nose into the conversation my first reaction would be "Hey, who the **** do you think you are?" (or something similar).

It's not a case of giving a complete CV. Name, rank and serial number would be nice though. :wink: As, ceemac said, just a brief intro would be sufficient.

Martyn

Introductions?
I agree Bickern, a lot of people just don't know. I'm just thinking from a mod point of view with some of the spammers, emlaks, business vetures it would make it easier.

On these type of forums you can send a pm when they sign up to say, read the rules, post in the intro etc sort of thing. Let's face it, anyone who joins normally are wanting something, or is that an unfair statement? I know I will browse forums just maybe getting information but if i want something, ask a question about something, I will join.

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Introductions?
I'm a Mod on another forum where new members can't make their first post until it's been "approved" by a moderator.

This system was introduced because we were getting spammed up to 30 times a day.

Once we get notified of a new member's post awaiting approval we either ask them to introduce themselves OR one of the mods introduces and welcomes them.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Introductions?
I agree with Villabaris1. What's the point? People can write whatever load of waffle they like and no one would know any different. I never read the intros, but find it interesting gleaning info about people from the topics they post on and their comments.

I would think people only join if they want to add something to the forum, if not, they stay a visitor. If they join up just to plug their business, then the speedy mods pick them up and spit them out!!!!

Introductions?
It must be just me but I find this thread absolutely hilarious!!!!

We are in danger of disappearing up our own a**** sometimes.

A poll to see if we want to introduce ourselves mmmmmmm.

We didnt have this palavar in the good old days of 2005!!!

:moonie::moonie::moonie::moonie::moonie:

PS. Only meant in fun(for legal reasons)

Martyn

Introductions?
I think I need to start off a contentious religion thread to get arguments going :smile:

Introductions?
I'm guessing that more than 50% of members chose to post here anonymously, including Mr [or is it Mrs?] KKOB. So what's the point of introducing yourself by an alias?
Guy comes up to me in a pub and says "Hi, I'm The Shadow"? I'm out of there!

bickern

Introductions?
I'm just thinking from a mod point of view with some of the spammers, emlaks, business vetures it would make it easier.

You mean like the spammer who just posted about learning a language. LOL

Bugger didn't even introduce himself.:splat:

Sorry, I just had to laugh at the timing of it. It's in the right forum though at least.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom