Guz1

Internet Explorer
Saw on tv last night that the German government are advising people not to use Internet Explorer because of security risks to their computer. It was on the little telex-type script that runs across the bottom of the screen. Not sure that I read it correctly and watched for a while but didn't see it come up again.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Guz1

Internet Explorer
I wasn't dreaming then. Thanks Debbie.

Any suggestions for a decent alternative?

Guz1

Internet Explorer
Sorry Martyn. We must have posted at the same time. Do I just buy Firefox from somewhere like PC World and load it up, or is it more complicated than that? Is it expensive?

M

Mack

Internet Explorer
The new google Chrome beta is fantastic too, fixes loads of problems with the old one and is lightning fast, Ive converted from a lifelong FF user to Chrome now, the google guys sure know their stuff.

Google Chrome (BETA)

tjd

Internet Explorer
Re Google Chrome - Do you know if it runs on Linux? or just for Windows platforms?

traveller

Internet Explorer
The new google Chrome beta is fantastic too, fixes loads of problems with the old one and is lightning fast, Ive converted from a lifelong FF user to Chrome now, the google guys sure know their stuff.

Google Chrome (BETA)

Hi Mack, I've always used FF as well, but finding it a bit sluggish at the moment - or maybe it's my computer, whatever, thought I might try Chrome. I just clicked on your link and there is an option to "try the stable version" whats the difference, is the Beta not stable yet?

M

Mack

Internet Explorer
Hi Traveller, yeah I found since the latest couple of FF updates it started to get as slow as IE, the beta Chrome is VERY stable, remember Gmail had a beta tag on it for years while it working better than the competition :)

The difference I like is that the beta (v.4) has the ability to install plugins like FF wheres the older v.3 doesnt (and v.4 is about 25% faster too).

I havent had any problems with it after a few months use, all Flash and scripts are handled well and theres a great developers tool built in for geeks.

Guz1

Internet Explorer
Going away for a few days and will switch over when I'm back home. Just one more question: Do I need to disable firewall and anti-virus software before downloading?

Martyn

Internet Explorer
Firefox can be very process intensive if you have multiple tabs open so every now and then if you feel it is slowing down close and reopening the browser fixes that. I will have a look at Google Chrome I just like FF because it has so many useful plugins.

Kusann

Internet Explorer
Thanks for info used FF for years but thought I would have a look at Google Chrome so far much faster very easy to set up Cheers :)

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Internet Explorer
France has followed Germany's lead, and has advised computer users to download a different web browser after Microsoft's Internet Explorer was found to contain a critical security flaw.

Here

C

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Internet Explorer
ive never used explorer as i was always of the opinion that it picks up virus especially using live platforms. Used to use firefox but have had trouble with pop ups so now on chrome. much better and quicker and no viruses so far.

Internet Explorer
I have downloaded Chrome but it just gives me a simple screen for my BT yahoo page with no taskbar boxes at the top like bookmarks,mail,searches,favourites etc etc etc like IE has and cant work without them!!

On my IE page I have a large drop down bookmark box with my business sites on it but cant get Chrome to put anything at the top.
Its just a basic screen with no tags or boxes so I must be doing something wrong as I have 3 rows of taskbars on IE and I miss the flexibility.

Am I missing something on Google Chrome as unimpressed at present and the IE security flaw patch has just been issued as Immac said?.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom