Internet Explorer 8 messes my Netbook up
Hello
downloaded Int Ex 8 last night off Microsoft website and it totally screwed my netbook up. All the little boxes with tools, home, print, refresh etc were missing and the whole toolbar was black, only thing it had was the tiny search box. Could not change settings as there was nothing to click on. Removed it and tried again, same happened. So have gone back to 7.....Anyone else downloaded 8 as yet? Wondered if anyone else has had probs with it??? I am going to stick to 7 on my netbook and desktop pc....

Rach

maggie

Hi Rachel,yes I tried it and lost loads of stuff Ive put 7 back on again.

Hugs Maggie xxx

ted j

Hi Rach, I Stopped Getting Automatic Updates Installed. Windows Kept Trying To Install IE8 . Once A Week, I Click On Micosft Updates, Then Custom, And Thoroughly Read Through Any Updates, Then Install The Ones I Want. (I've Even Blocked Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, Which It Says Is A High Priority Update) IT ISN'T IT'S NAGWARE . Read Up On IE8 And To Date, It Looks Like They've Not Got It Right Yet . Ted

Hello
I just went and clicked Custom and hid the Ex 8 update thing, so it's now hidden and will not update automatically. Cheers

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I installed it last week and had to uninstall it the same day. Slowed the computer down, took ages to load IE8 each time (although once loaded seemed OK). My biggest problem was the way it took over the display with sites that I had visited and I was unable to modify it to show what I wanted.
It re-ordered my Favourites, which I did not like.
I looked at a lot of help sites to see if it was just me, but it seems to be a widespread problem with many people reverting back to IE7. Incidentally, if you do try it and decide to go back, do an uninstall and IE7, with all your settings, is reloaded from memory.

Ian

dalyansteve

I have IE8 on an old xp laptop and a new vista laptop, I am talking about the Yahoo version and it is working on both much better than IE7. On the xp laptop, had to use Firefox as ie7 used to crash all the time. I suspect Firefox would work better on a netbook as ie7 and ie8 take up a lot of hard drive.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I did not install the Google toolbar and it did not work well for me. There is a lot of 'chatter' on many web sites about this, and there does seem to be an intrinsic problem.
I am happy with IE7, so will stick with that for now.

Ian

ted j

I Used To Have A Lot Of Problems With Google Toolbar 5 (After Google "Kindly" Updated It Without Asking) .Autofill Wouldn't Work And The Options To Customise Were Very Limited .I managed To Reinstall Toolbar 4 Which To Me Personally, Is Way Better, I Can Put Whatever Options I Need On And Leave Off All The Extra Buttons That Microsoft Seem To Think Everyone Wants .Ted

alison09400

Totally messed up my laptop and I had no way of getting online. Had to download I.E.7 from the internet using my son's pc and re-install it.

Hi,

I have not tried IE 8 but have tried several other browsers recently as I got fed up with IE7, in fact I got fed up with most things Microsoft. I did not like Google Chrome but I found Opera very good. However I now also have a Macbook for work and use Safari which is excellent, and there is now a new Windows version available.

The latest version Safari 4 is very fast, even pages like BBC seem to load almost instantly. Safari 4 is still a 'beta' product but I have it running on an XP laptop, a Vista PC, and a Macbook all with no problems. Some of the features are a bit 'bling' rather than outright useful but if you like iTunes 'coverflow' then you will like Safari 4 as similar technology is used to let you flick through bookmarks or browser history with your mouse wheel. The 'top sites' feature is also very good and similar to Opera's Speed Dial. You will of course have to set up your bookmarks if you want them in the menu bar but it did seem to copy all my IE7 favorites which was quite good of it.

Ian

M

Mack

Firefox Rules :peace:

ff_vs_ie.jpg

Martyn

Firefox Rules :peace:

ff_vs_ie.jpg

Yes always used it. Did briefly use Safari when I got my Mac but it seems there are websites not tested with it whereas not had one yet with Firefox.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom