peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Interesting ancestors
Has anyone done a family tree? I have ours thanks to my late brother. We have one very interesting ancestor in particular. Here's a short rundown on him that I found on the web tonight.

Paymaster Rear-Admiral Sir Hamnet Holditch Share, K.B.E.,
C.B., C.V.O. (1864-1937),
born Penrhyn, Cornwall; entered Royal
Navy 1880 and appointed Assistant Clerk later that year; Clerk
1881, and served in this position in H.M.S. Tourmaline in the
Detached Squadron, 1880-82, South America, South Africa,
Australia, Pacific, Japan, China and in the Mediterranean during
the Egyptian Campaign 1882; served in the East Indies Station
1882-84, Senior Naval Officer’s ship; Madagascar during the
French occupation 1883-84; transferred to the Flag Ship of Rear-
Admiral Sir W. Hewett V.C., H.M.S. Euraylus and served with her in
the East Indies, 1884-85; Assistant Paymaster 1885; continued to
serve with Hewett in H.M.S. Minatour and Northumberland,
Flagships for the Channel Squadron, 1886-88; posted to Rear-
Admiral Well’s Flagship, H.M.S. Raleigh, Cape of Good Hope and
Africa Station, 1888-92; served on the Royal Yacht Victoria and
Albert, 1892-95, during which time he accompanied the Royal
Family, the German Emperor and King Carlos of Portugal on
various official trips; served in the Royal Yacht Osborne, 1895-99

Martyn

Interesting ancestors
Bloody hell Pete, where did it all go wrong?:evil:

I have been doing my tree for over 20 years and it is a real eye opener. I've got all sorts in my ancestry including naval and army persons and one that was a master saddler and had a shop in Wokingham. Another one was a police sargeant and one who died on HMS Hood in 1941. The strange coincidence with that one was that a work colleague I used to go to genealogy shows with in later years discovered he had a relative on the same ship and they probably knew each other!. A couple of other coincidences, when first got married we lived in a maisonnette in Hendon that was built on a pre-war housing estate that my ancestor died in. Another one was that I moved out here in Leighton Buzzard 23 years ago from Hendon purely because we knew someone in the area. Some investigation I was doing last year I found that my great grandmother was born in a house in walking distance from where I live now! Her relatives all come from the villages where my wife works.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Interesting ancestors
We have a cracker, he was a pirate and slave trader, he was knighted, was credited as mayor with the establishing of Liverpool as a commercial port!

Wow! all downhill from there,

Google Sir John William Tobin for the skinny.

Moggycat

Interesting ancestors
I've got a really interesting ancestor, considering our connection with Turkey, I found this quite strange. Sir James Redhouse, known as The Turkish Dictionary Man, done the very first translation of the Ottoman dictionary to English, he lived and worked as a translator in Istanbul for a lot of his life, he spoke Ottoman Turkish, Arabic, Persian and French and Italian. He was Knighted by Queen Victoria , and received an Imperial Ottoman Order and a Royal Persian Order. Sir James Redhouse was my Great, Great Uncle. The present day Redhouse English/Turkish, Turkish/English dictionarys are still well used, so his legend continues.
Google Sir James Redhouse.

Tess

Interesting ancestors
This is something I am really interested in, but am I right in thinking it needs a lot of time dedicated to it to find results. At the minute I do not have the time, but would really love to learn so much more about my family on both sides, warts and all LOL!!

Moggycat

Interesting ancestors
You do find warts an all, I've been doing mine for about 6 years now ( since I retired ) and still finding things out.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Interesting ancestors
I am also interested, but as Tess states a lot of time and effort is required, my cousin started to do this and all that I've remembered thus far is that, from my Maiden name of Moyle, one of my ancestors invented one of the first tools to undertake circumcision, and therefore it was named a Moyle.

:eek:hwell:

Tess

Interesting ancestors
My maiden name was Power. Very interesting Sunny, many a tear that little tool brought to an eye LOL!! Sorry couldn't resist. xxxxxx

juco

Interesting ancestors
Well I find mine fascinating to the point it must be a b***y miracle that I actually exist.

On my fathers side …his parents were Lithuanian, and after occupation by both Russia and Germany they managed to escape to Scotland where they tried to conceal their identity as did most Lithuanians/Polish. My father was born in Scotland and fought in the 2nd world war for the UK. I have tracked down documents on his side to late 1800s but need Russian/Lithuanian translations.

My mother who having survived the German occupation in Holland as a 12 year old girl and had to watch many neighbours rounded up and sent to the gas chambers (her stories are epic) she then as a teenager met my father who was part of the liberation of Holland and brought her back to Scotland. My Dutch grandfather was in German concentration camps and I had a relation in the SS (family never could figure that one) On the Dutch side I can go back to around the 1700s.

So after escapes from the Germans the Russians and the 2nd world war I feel lucky to be born.

Both my parents died this year and up until about a week before my father died he would still not talk freely about his past.
As for me although born in Scotland the word mongrel sounds like a pedigree. :)

Reactions: GnD

Tess

Interesting ancestors
Fascinating Juco, all so very interesting, makes me want to know more about mine.

Guz1

Interesting ancestors
Nothing interesting about any of my ancestors, but how's this for coincidence:

In the course of his work, my nephew in the US came across someone with the same surname who mentioned that his forebears came from the same town in Ireland as my nephew's father. It turned out that they were distant cousins. The American was planning a trip to Ireland to continue his research and my nephew asked me to show him around. The American also wanted to research another branch of his family from the same area.

Meanwhile, I had answered a query on one of the forums from a woman in Ireland who couldn't find the cemetery where her ancestors were buried. Her ancestors, my nephews ancestors and the American's ancestors were all buried in the same cemetery. It transpired that the American was related to both my nephew and the woman I had met on the forum.

Reactions: GnD

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Interesting ancestors
I am also interested, but as Tess states a lot of time and effort is required, my cousin started to do this and all that I've remembered thus far is that, from my Maiden name of Moyle, one of my ancestors invented one of the first tools to undertake circumcision, and therefore it was named a Moyle.

:eek:hwell:

It would have to be you Lesley.....

Martyn

Interesting ancestors
Actually I just remembered. My mum used to tell me she used to watch her grandfather repairing watches as he was a watchmaker. I checked that part of the tree and her great grandfather was also a watchmaker and jeweller in the Islington/Marylebone area. I was contacted last year by someone tracing their tree but living in Holland. It turned out she was also related and I found out they owned other jewelry shops in the area. My mum was disowned by her family for marrying my dad so all my research has been done from scratch.

Be prepared for skeletons in the cupboard. :nod:

Also don't always believe what you are told. Sometimes people cover up things and sometimes they genuinely believe what they tell you is correct. I didn't know my own mothers first name was really her middle name until she died and I started tracing my tree!

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Interesting ancestors
I started doing this a while ago, but have only used Family Search, a free site, and only found some of my Mother's side of the family on it.

Feel I now need to search sites that you pay for, to get more info, please can anyone recommend which sites are best and what they charge.

Martyn

Interesting ancestors
Last edited:

Moggycat

Interesting ancestors
I agree with both the above sites which I have used and found very good, but Ancestry.co.uk does not have access to the 1911 census, I am thinking of having a change this year to Lost Cousins, which now seems to be the most advanced site regarding census information and a little cheaper than Ancestry.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom