sarbirus

Intasure insurance problems - advice please
Hi,

Back in feb this year, we were notified by our maintainance man that there had been very heavy rains at some point, he had checked our place out for damage and found that it had been seriously flooded.

The walls, ceilings, moldings, plaster and even the exterior rendering were all damaged.

We had been insured with Intasure for the last couple of years, so informed them and started a claim rolling.

They told us to get photographic evidence, and get quotes from local builders.

Not being in Turkey full time, meant we had to enlist the help of our maintainance man and friends to get the quotes for repairs, which total around £5000 by Cekul Construction. (only people interested in putting a English quote together) This obviously was not straight forward and ended up taking a couple of months!

So we forwarded the quotes to Intasure and waited.

Eventually, out of the blue, I had a Turkish man call me and say he needed keys to my apartment. I asked why and he said he was the Altinkum Intasure person. So once I checked with Intasure, I authorised my maintainance man to let this Intasure rep look around the appartment.

The next thing I know, Intasure have decided my quotes for repairs were too high and their man could get it fixed for £1200

Anyway, apart from being annoyed that intasure did not just tell me they had an Altinkum rep in the first place, I also became worried that I was going to get a slap dash repair.

So, after several emails flying backwards and forwards, it turns out I am being asked to accept the following...

1. Intasure want their builder to do the repairs, yet Intasure will not garauntee the repairs. They say the builder is reputable (but will not even name him) and that the builder will garauntee the work for 3 years... (do I feel reasured???)

2. Intasure will not take responcibility for any damage caused by the builder, any theft during the repairs or any other losses caused by their builder. They say the builder will take responcibility for this (do I feel reasured about this either????)

3. Intasure will not agree that after repairs are complete, if at a later date when I next go out there, if I find that the repairs are incomplete that they will get the extra work done.

The problem is.. I know that when I wanted the builder of the building when I bought it to actually stick to our contract it seemed like hard work and like the legal system was against us... So if I did need the builder to honour his obligations, I would have no faith in the Turkish legal system and authorities in actually forcing the builder to put things right.

So.. do people in here think I am being unreasonable expecting the insurance company in taking responsibility for their choice of builder?

Cheers for now...

dalyansteve

Lets put it another way, the insurance company can probably get the work done a lot cheaper than you can. I expect the £5000 you were quoted included a healthy commision for everybody and his dog. Also if you read through this forum, you will find a good many people use and recomend Intasure, if however, you get this work done by them and you are not satisfied saying so on this forum, how many people will be looking for new insurance next year???
Answering your other question about qualified and reputable, surveyors and lawyers etc. you are on for a hiding to nothing that will cost you an arm and a leg and get you absolutely no further. If you don't trust the insurance company why do you pay them money every year?

carolk

R.I.P
I have put a reply on your other thread. You can use the court appointed structural engineer for 100tl. He is excellent!! Number on other thread. I have had the mother of all jobs with my house and repairs so, the People I have used have been well and truly researched.

Dellol

If you don't trust the insurance company why do you pay them money every year?

To be fair Steve, IMO Sarbirus, like the rest of us has had no problem with his chosen insurance company until he had to claim. If he has a choice I don't think he will be going with them again!
In answer to one of your questions Sarbirus, I think it is very unreasonable for your insurance company not to guarantee the work being done by the person who they have recommended.

Smiler

Not really advice but on the subject of intasure; I'm currently in the process of renewing my insurance and I've found that Hiscox are approximately £100 cheaper than Intasure for similar cover.

Home

(No I'm not affiliated with them in any way ;) )

Last edited:

gren

To be fair Steve, IMO Sarbirus, like the rest of us has had no problem with his chosen insurance company until he had to claim. If he has a choice I don't think he will be going with them again!
In answer to one of your questions Sarbirus, I think it is very unreasonable for your insurance company not to guarantee the work being done by the person who they have recommended.

At least Intasure agreed to pay out for you!
They refused my claim for water damage (roof and windows) despite the well documented freak, torrential storms along the Bodrum coastline this winter.

A Turkish inspector came out, took photos and concluded there was very bad weather damage due to the rains.

Intasure have refused my claim because they said it was from normal wear and tear!

I don't know what to do about this situation. If an insurance company won't honour their obligations because they want to save money, whats the point of having insurance in the first place.

This is a warning against using Intasure.
When it comes to the crunch, they shy away from their responsibilities.

I would NOT recommend them at all. Be warned.

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
Thats terrible Gren. Most Ins Companies are cr*p!! They don't ever seem to want to pay out in any country. Was this on your recent visit?

gren

Yes it was Carol.

I thought they would be good but they are corrupt.

I mean, what WOULD make them pay out...?........a Tsunami perhaps???

I'm going to take this further. Watch this space...

We had a quote from Intersure 4 weeks ago as we needed to renew our insurance on the 1st May, they were more expensive than the company we use in Turgetries whom we have been with for 5 years and they have always been really good with any claims we have made, they are also on the spot. When we came to pay them this year's premium it was less than last year so we were really pleased.

dalyansteve

To be fair you never know if your cover is good or not until you have to claim, I have used Pasha Sigorta in Dalaman for several years for several reasons, he speaks passable English but better German he treats you as a proper customer and tries to find the best deal at the time, he also makes sure the documents are properly filled in and when you do need to claim he does everything he can to make it smoother.Last year I had a major operation, we had organised it in advance but the hospital had not had the go ahead in writing, a quick phone call to Kudret and within the hour the hospital not only had the go ahead but also an apology for not having sent it earlier. I don't know what he said to them but it worked and this was for 12,000 lira, so not a small matter.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Yes it was Carol.

I thought they would be good but they are corrupt.

I mean, what WOULD make them pay out...?........a Tsunami perhaps???

I'm going to take this further. Watch this space...

Hi Gren, no chance, act of God.
steve.

sarbirus

Lets put it another way, the insurance company can probably get the work done a lot cheaper than you can. I expect the £5000 you were quoted included a healthy commision for everybody and his dog. Also if you read through this forum, you will find a good many people use and recomend Intasure, if however, you get this work done by them and you are not satisfied saying so on this forum, how many people will be looking for new insurance next year???
Answering your other question about qualified and reputable, surveyors and lawyers etc. you are on for a hiding to nothing that will cost you an arm and a leg and get you absolutely no further. If you don't trust the insurance company why do you pay them money every year?

My issue Steve is with Intasure is that they want me to give them authorisation to let their chosen builder into my appartment while I am thousands of miles away, without even naming the builder or company, but should there be any problem its between me and the builder.

A hiding? If I needed to count the pennies then I would not be going down this route. My plan is to get intasure to give a detailed account of each and every repair they plan on making, then have a Turkish surveyor to list what he deems is required, then use the Turkish solicitor to draw up a legal document testifying that the surveyors comments are backed up by Turkish qualifications and approvals/licences, then get a GOOD builder to do the work and hand the lot over to my UK solicitors to take intasure to the cleaners.

My position is that this property was bought so I could go there and relax in my own surroundings in my own property once or twice a year. I have a finite amount of these years left and Intasure agreed to exchange my premium for ensuring that following a problem like this they will pay to return the property to the same condition it was in before the problem.

I have a policy of using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Which means that whatever it costs to ensure that my position is maintained, I will spend it.

This means if I have to pay a massive amount in legal fees, then thats the way it will be. If I need to place full page adverts in the national press to log the events in large print for the world to see (legally drafted) then thats what it will take.

I suspect Intasure will settle as they are probably used to people taking their bullying posture and roll over. I intend on screwing them down to the floor and have the means to do so. Not just for me but for every person they have ever done this to who has had to roll over. Its a principle.

sarbirus

To be fair you never know if your cover is good or not until you have to claim, I have used Pasha Sigorta in Dalaman for several years for several reasons, he speaks passable English but better German he treats you as a proper customer and tries to find the best deal at the time, he also makes sure the documents are properly filled in and when you do need to claim he does everything he can to make it smoother.Last year I had a major operation, we had organised it in advance but the hospital had not had the go ahead in writing, a quick phone call to Kudret and within the hour the hospital not only had the go ahead but also an apology for not having sent it earlier. I don't know what he said to them but it worked and this was for 12,000 lira, so not a small matter.

Sounds like a good recommendation for who I will use next year! In fact, it seems my current insurer (intasure) is a waste of space, I might take out a new policy right away, as I seem to be as good as not covered.

What are their contact details?

sheffmark

Hi,

Back in feb this year, we were notified by our maintainance man that there had been very heavy rains at some point, he had checked our place out for damage and found that it had been seriously flooded.

The walls, ceilings, moldings, plaster and even the exterior rendering were all damaged.

We had been insured with Intasure for the last couple of years, so informed them and started a claim rolling.

They told us to get photographic evidence, and get quotes from local builders.

Not being in Turkey full time, meant we had to enlist the help of our maintainance man and friends to get the quotes for repairs, which total around £5000 by Cekul Construction. (only people interested in putting a English quote together) This obviously was not straight forward and ended up taking a couple of months!

So we forwarded the quotes to Intasure and waited.

Eventually, out of the blue, I had a Turkish man call me and say he needed keys to my apartment. I asked why and he said he was the Altinkum Intasure person. So once I checked with Intasure, I authorised my maintainance man to let this Intasure rep look around the appartment.

The next thing I know, Intasure have decided my quotes for repairs were too high and their man could get it fixed for £1200

Anyway, apart from being annoyed that intasure did not just tell me they had an Altinkum rep in the first place, I also became worried that I was going to get a slap dash repair.

So, after several emails flying backwards and forwards, it turns out I am being asked to accept the following...

1. Intasure want their builder to do the repairs, yet Intasure will not garauntee the repairs. They say the builder is reputable (but will not even name him) and that the builder will garauntee the work for 3 years... (do I feel reasured???)

2. Intasure will not take responcibility for any damage caused by the builder, any theft during the repairs or any other losses caused by their builder. They say the builder will take responcibility for this (do I feel reasured about this either????)

3. Intasure will not agree that after repairs are complete, if at a later date when I next go out there, if I find that the repairs are incomplete that they will get the extra work done.

The problem is.. I know that when I wanted the builder of the building when I bought it to actually stick to our contract it seemed like hard work and like the legal system was against us... So if I did need the builder to honour his obligations, I would have no faith in the Turkish legal system and authorities in actually forcing the builder to put things right.

So.. do people in here think I am being unreasonable expecting the insurance company in taking responsibility for their choice of builder?

Cheers for now...

Hi, Our dealings with Intasure this year is almost a carbon copy of your experiences. We had the work done by our maintainance company. At no time did Intasure inform us that we could use there builders for the repair, which surprise surprise! was around 40% cheaper than the people we employed. I know people have there own negative stories about insurance companies but I for one will not renew with Intasure, Rant over!! thankyou:D

MUGGY ONE

Thanks everyone for this post.

We are currently obtaining quotes and have one from Intasure and one from Aviva. Aviva's was £90 cheaper a year than Intasure's. I thought that maybe Intasure would give a better service having an office in the UK, but having read these posts, we won't be insuring through them (has anyone had any good claims experience?)

Lesley, could you give the name of your insurers, you say they are good, I would like to get a quote from them.

Thanks again.

Caroline

bev timms

bev timms
Worryingly, i've just paid my (high) first premium to intasure as earlier reviews I read on here were good regards them. However, reading this current thread has made me think twice for next year and I will look around at the time or seek advice from the forum. Never mind, another experience to hopefully learn from.

Jan

Dalaman Deli

Loving Life in Turkey!
7/7/09

Until now I have always recommended Kudret at Pasha Sigorta to those owners living in Dalaman. Until recently I have found his services very good.

Sadly I must now withdraw that recommendation due to serious problems I have recently encountered. I will now advise anyone who asks me to go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Smiler

My concern with buying insurance from Turkish companies is the inclusion or not of liability insurance, although Turkish insurance companies are cheaper, unless I have been give wrong information, suitable liability cover is not included, something that I require as I rent my property out.

Dalaman Deli

Loving Life in Turkey!
My concern with buying insurance from Turkish companies is the inclusion or not of liability insurance, although Turkish insurance companies are cheaper, unless I have been give wrong information, suitable liability cover is not included, something that I require as I rent my property out.

Don't know about Turkish companies, but not all brokers here use Turkish insurers. We have a client who insured through a broker in Göcek and they certainly did have public liability cover. Last year they were with Allianz but this year I think the broker moved them to another insurance company, however I think they still have the cover. It's worth asking around further.

Last edited:

Smiler

Hi Ruth

Thanks for that, just tried sending PM but your inbox is full. Do you have an e-mail address for Kudret please ?

Cheers!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom