Alan H

Alan Heatley
Inporting foodstuffs
Hi,

I wasn't going to post this question but the more i thought about the more i realised i didn't have a 'scooby do' (Clue) as to the answer. So...can we take in food like Bacon,sausages and Ham? I would only be taking in enough for a few weeks and not shipping it in by the Pig load.

pebble

Inporting foodstuffs
At your own risk, technically it is illegal, but most times you arent checked. but if you are, you have to give it up without a fight or fuss.,..

we went to kos a couple of years ago with some friends to go shopping, I got a couple of pounds of pork stuff, but my friend had like 50 pounds, sure enough, she got stopped and had everything confiscated. boy was she mad....

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Inporting foodstuffs
Alan H said:
Hi,

I wasn't going to post this question but the more i thought about the more i realised i didn't have a 'scooby do' (Clue) as to the answer. So...can we take in food like Bacon,sausages and Ham? I would only be taking in enough for a few weeks and not shipping it in by the Pig load.
When we returned in March we had 23 kilos of bacon & sausage between us & 15 kilos of Indian spices -- never had a problem bringing in before - but yes I know that its illegal - but worth the risk when you run a restaurant !!
All my friends that come over bring me a couple of kilos each time & never a problem
Good luck
Sue

jeanne

Inporting foodstuffs
Alan

You should have seen the shopping list I took out with me :lol: Bacon, Sausages, cornbeef, teabags, lime juice, and to top it off Cadbury's cream eggs, & Milky Ways :lol: :lol: There were 3 of us flying out so just divided it between the 3 cases, that way if you are stopped at least you still got something.

chesney

yes I am a girl lol
Inporting foodstuffs
The last time my dad went to the UK he went with one suitcase and came back with 2. The one suitcase was full of bacon, sausages, faggots, baked beans etc etc and last time I went to the UK we did the same never had a problem and wasn't even charged excess baggage!

Pennie

Inporting foodstuffs
jeanne said:
Alan

You should have seen the shopping list I took out with me :lol: Bacon, Sausages, cornbeef, teabags, lime juice, and to top it off Cadbury's cream eggs, & Milky Ways :lol: :lol: There were 3 of us flying out so just divided it between the 3 cases, that way if you are stopped at least you still got something.

and Jen and I will love you forever Jeanne :42mb:

Pennie xx

puma

Inporting foodstuffs
we have always taken in bacon sausage etc,but recently by us a shop has opened that sell yummy sausages and i found a small shop that sells baked beans that taste better then heinz

mavi

Inporting foodstuffs
almost every holiday to Turkey I have taken a coolbag full of packs of bacon for my brother in laws boss...never been questioned on it... if i was - its for personal use...then go with the flow...

Inporting foodstuffs
I have read so many posts on this forum that we are GUESTS in Turkiye and should respect our guests religious beliefs and traditions am I mistaken or is Turkiye a Muslim country ? Hypocrites.

Guz1

Inporting foodstuffs
friar tuck said:
I have read so many posts on this forum that we are GUESTS in Turkiye and should respect our guests religious beliefs and traditions am I mistaken or is Turkiye a Muslim country ? Hypocrites.

Hypocrites?? What do you mean?

JohnF

Inporting foodstuffs
friar tuck said:
Well, if you're going on about bacon and sausage, my life wouldn't be worth living if I didn't bring several of my TURKISH friends smoked back bacon and decent pork sausages every time I go to Istanbul.

The issue on importing foodstuffs is NOT religious, it is to do with the import controls on uncooked meat products, same as we have in the U.K.

Jeez... sensitive or what?

JF

mavi

Inporting foodstuffs
friar tuck said:

taking in pork is not a crime. for their religious beliefs, they choose not to eat it.
UK is not an Islamic country, yet we sell halal meat..
i also take bisto granules too - what does that mean?

jane2005

Can't get enough
Inporting foodstuffs
They sell bacon and ham in Migros and Tespo. Many Muslims eat pork, personally I hate it. It causes no offence to anyone, people choose to eat it or not.

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Inporting foodstuffs
Lol at John F :lol:

Yes have to agree with John on this.....I only use Oxo cubes :lol: :lol: :lol:

With regard to Friars post I understand where he is coming from and I do not eat or buy bacon or pork products in Turkiye. This is however my personal choice and I have no problems with those of you who chose to tuck into a Bacon butty or Sausage sarnie :lol: I do eat Bacon and Pork in the UK (in fact we are still on piggy overload from three weeks ago) I feel (not to the extent that Friar does) that it would be hypoctitical of me to consume these products in AWC but that is my personal choice and one which I would not dream of inflicting on anyone. On the other hand I cannot stand Lentils or Goats anything despite them being part of the Turkish diet and nothing on earth,would make me eat them. Sod hospitality and being part of the culture..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jane I think you are mistaken about Muslims eating Pork because in all my years here and the ones I know back in the UK, I can assure you they would not even consider a packet of bacon flavoured crisps!

mkc

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom