Mushroom

Innoculations - Side area
Could I pick the brains of visitors/residents in the Side area please?
My old Ma is going there in early December this year and has been told by the nurse at her GP's that she needs innoculations 'because of the water'.
As there is often misguided and conflicting thoughts about what may or may not be needed when visiting Turkey and she has never required anything when visiting the Bodrum area, can anyone assist please?
Any Mozzie problems - early December?

Smiler

My doctor recommended that we have innoculations against hepatitus and typhoid, (water born diseases). If you have an initial injection and then a "booster" 6 months later, you are covered for upto 25 years against hepatitus

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Up to you of course but İ would say have NO INJECTİONS WHATSOEVER ... my mother is 80 and has not been to a doctor for 26 years and comes to Side frequently ... İ live in Side and have never had an injection ever. Yes - of course İ buy the water - you cannot drink from the taps but İ do put tap water into my kettle because once it is boiled it is fine for coffee and tea after boiling. Bottles of water are available in all the mini markets in Side - on practically every corner of every street - so no worries there. RE Mozzies - İ have only been bitten twice this season and have been here since 1st April - so again - it.s just a myth what you hear from people who do not actually live here İ would say. Side has no creepy crawlies whatsoever really - İ have never seen a cockroach (although İ saw plenty when İ lived in Washington DC !) - never seen any jellyfish or similar at the beach - here is the 2nd longest white sand beach of Turkey and very very clean - it goes on for miles and is a wondrous walk. Take the dolmus from any hotel to Side Otogar (bus station) and then walk through the little passageway to the tractor train/Noddy Train and for just 0.75 Lire you will have the most amazing 10 minute ride past all the ruins to the amphıtheatre and entrance to Main Street of Old Town Side and the shops and harbour and Apollo Temple where Anthony made his tryst with Cleopatra. Turtles down there at sunset normally too. İ am sure your Mum will have a great time here - Side is on the level and easy walking for older folk - my mother LOVES it here - as İ do -

Mushroom

Many thanks for the info. I think I wouldn't be too worried, but can't speak for my old ma. I will however pass this on and she can make up her own mind.
Sounds a nice place, whatever.

Up to you of course but İ would say have NO INJECTİONS WHATSOEVER ... my mother is 80 and has not been to a doctor for 26 years and comes to Side frequently ... İ live in Side and have never had an injection ever. Yes - of course İ buy the water - you cannot drink from the taps but İ do put tap water into my kettle because once it is boiled it is fine for coffee and tea after boiling. Bottles of water are available in all the mini markets in Side - on practically every corner of every street - so no worries there. RE Mozzies - İ have only been bitten twice this season and have been here since 1st April - so again - it.s just a myth what you hear from people who do not actually live here İ would say. Side has no creepy crawlies whatsoever really - İ have never seen a cockroach (although İ saw plenty when İ lived in Washington DC !) - never seen any jellyfish or similar at the beach - here is the 2nd longest white sand beach of Turkey and very very clean - it goes on for miles and is a wondrous walk. Take the dolmus from any hotel to Side Otogar (bus station) and then walk through the little passageway to the tractor train/Noddy Train and for just 0.75 Lire you will have the most amazing 10 minute ride past all the ruins to the amphıtheatre and entrance to Main Street of Old Town Side and the shops and harbour and Apollo Temple where Anthony made his tryst with Cleopatra. Turtles down there at sunset normally too. İ am sure your Mum will have a great time here - Side is on the level and easy walking for older folk - my mother LOVES it here - as İ do -

10 minutes!! :77wu: - 2/3 minutes at the most!!

Sue

Hi Mushroom Side is a lovely place its clean and modern..even though there is quite a bit of hassle goes on... though the Belediye are trying to control it..
İts an easy place to get around..but i wouldnt call Side flat.
Yet again it depends whereabouts your mother is staying because nowadays a lot of places that are far away from central Side get advertised as Side.
İts time GP's and Practice Nurses wised up a bit when they go on about water vacs etc. tch tch.

I think you will find the "water" relates to the potential risk of contracting Hepatitis A from water contaminated through poor sanitation. If you go onto NHS Immunisation Information or for a more clearer type of site try patient .co.uk. There will be a more clearer rationale as to wether it is necesssary . You might want to think about is your mother going to swim in the sea( near a sewage outlet) or eat shell fish from a similar location....
Juls

Latest Posts

Top Bottom